VOGONS

Common searches

One year anniversary of NVIDIA "cancelling" their old tech demos

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 78, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those old GeForce FX demos still look pretty slick, after pumping up the resolution to 1600x1200 (have to edit the args.txt file). I mean, comparing Dusk Ultra to A New Dawn, the latter uses faaaar more GPU resources seemingly just to put on that last few % of polish.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 41 of 78, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyzzle wrote on 2021-10-07, 01:37:

I applaud the effort to preserve these ephemeral digital artifacts. Rick Prelinger did the same thing with educational films, many or most of which are non-PC.

My opinion is that the whole lot of "cancel culture" people can go fuck themselves. They're trying to erase history -- and lamentably succeeding, which is much more harmful than than the alternative. Getting rid of something from the past because it "offends" a few overly-sensitive, brittle people is very much a slippery slope. Disney of course started the trend 40-50 years ago, and their minions have been giving it momentum since the verboden film SONG OF THE SOUTH was "erased" from existence.

I thank archive.org, especially, and people like Rick Prelinger for seeing past all the silliness and getting onto the important business of PRESERVATION of cultural artifacts. However, it won't be long before archive.org is shut down, I'm sure. They're run out of a church (!) near San Francisco, if I recall it correctly. They're small, but have been doing Big Work for 20 years now. All it will take is the ban hammer of one egotistical lawyer to shut them down-- and that's really frightening. Litigation has been ongoing for years already. Sucesssfully fought, for now.

Pretty sums it up.

Reply 42 of 78, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really. Cancel culture's the distraction, it's largely ineffective. It's what the governments wants you fight about while they censor things against their agenda. It's what the corporations want you to fight about while they buy laws to eradicate public domain.

But yes, donate to the Internet Archive if you can.

Reply 43 of 78, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-10-07, 17:10:

Not really. Cancel culture's the distraction, it's largely ineffective. It's what the governments wants you fight about while they censor things against their agenda. It's what the corporations want you to fight about while they buy laws to eradicate public domain.

Even if you disagree with the observation that all those things often collude and feed off of each other (see that recent so-called Facebook "whistleblower" farce), two things at least should be self evident: One - a culture with such a light trigger-finger when it comes to removal and cancellation makes it much, much easier for those governments and corporations to engage in their aforementioned practices, regardless of how effective it ends up being on its own. Two - when a slope may or may not be slippery, pointing out the danger is inherently more important than doing the reverse.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 44 of 78, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileR wrote on 2021-10-07, 17:36:

Even if you disagree with the observation that all those things often collude and feed off of each other (see that recent so-called Facebook "whistleblower" farce), two things at least should be self evident: One - a culture with such a light trigger-finger when it comes to removal and cancellation makes it much, much easier for those governments and corporations to engage in their aforementioned practices, regardless of how effective it ends up being on its own. Two - when a slope may or may not be slippery, pointing out the danger is inherently more important than doing the reverse.

agree 100%

I'm just grateful we can have this discussion here without mods (who are supposedly retired from modding) spontaneously coming out of the woodwork to silence any dissent against technocrats like over at VCFED

Reply 45 of 78, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RandomGaminginHD actually censored the Dawn demo in his recent video about old tech demos, which struck me as sad. PixelPipes showed it, while commenting that it was a bit controversial.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 46 of 78, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even if you disagree with the observation that all those things often collude and feed off of each other (see that recent so-called Facebook "whistleblower" farce), two things at least should be self evident: One - a culture with such a light trigger-finger when it comes to removal and cancellation makes it much, much easier for those governments and corporations to engage in their aforementioned practices, regardless of how effective it ends up being on its own.

Well, yes, when the distraction works it's easier to do the work it's meant to distract from. Doesn't make it a good idea to focus on it though.

Two - when a slope may or may not be slippery, pointing out the danger is inherently more important than doing the reverse.

Not really. It's more important to avoid fearmongering, try to stay rational, and consider what consequences might actually follow.

Reply 47 of 78, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the thing though man it's not a distraction. It's conditioning the public to accept the rewriting of history, paving the way for governments/ corporations (what's the difference anymore?) to do what they please

Reply 49 of 78, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PixelPipes showed it, while commenting that it was a bit controversial.

Original Dawn demo is controversial only due to nude patch.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 50 of 78, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-07, 19:26:

Was that one of those "patches" like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, where it just amounted to deleting the clothing texture, revealing the full detail naked boobs that were there the whole time underneath?

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 51 of 78, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-07, 19:26:

Even if the nude patch hadn't existed, the whole tech demo itself was a pretty blatant example of 'sex sells'. I was way out of the loop with PCs at the time, but I had heard of Dawn - I was 16 so in the prime demographic to be swayed by bewbs. Looking back with an older and more nuanced perspective, if there's any controversy around Dawn it should be as a stand-out example of crass marketing.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 52 of 78, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I disagree.
It is unfortunately a very real thing that has resulted in the modification and erasure of history.
Statues torn down, textbooks edited......tech demos removed and yes people's careers and livelihoods destroyed all in the name of "inlcusion" and "diversification and acceptance"

It is a cancer.

Reply 53 of 78, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hah.. The video card artwork from ATI and Nvidia at that point were both like that.

I don't remember anybody really having a problem with it back then.

Some people now have issues with separating reality from CGI. Either that or they are just a bunch of attention whore Karens looking for a fight because they have nothing better to do and they want somebody to pay attention to them.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 54 of 78, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was that one of those "patches" like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, where it just amounted to deleting the clothing texture, revealing the full detail naked boobs that were there the whole time underneath?

No, I think it was edited original texture and model geometry. BTW Giants originally had that character with bare chest even on the box art, it was censored later and quite poorly. Because model geometry was untouched and, under certain angles, nipples were clearly visible.

if there's any controversy around Dawn it should be as a stand-out example of crass marketing.

Hardly. Final Fantasy Aki Ross in bikini.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-10-07, 20:47. Edited 3 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 56 of 78, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-10-07, 20:04:
I disagree. It is unfortunately a very real thing that has resulted in the modification and erasure of history. Statues torn d […]
Show full quote

I disagree.
It is unfortunately a very real thing that has resulted in the modification and erasure of history.
Statues torn down, textbooks edited......tech demos removed and yes people's careers and livelihoods destroyed all in the name of "inlcusion" and "diversification and acceptance"

A lot of people who were cancelled are doing just fine and were (and some still are) spending their considerable resources cancelling people in the first place. Surely you would be happy about some of these cancel culture contributors being gone?

A lot of statues torn down recently were erected specifically to intimidate people, they were very specifically tools of cancel culture, so surely you should be happy about some of them being gone?

Those aren't the 100% loss to cancel culture you think they are. But IMO your political bias seems stronger than your principles. I don't particularly believe you care about freedom of speech or preservation of history at this point.

Reply 57 of 78, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-10-07, 17:47:

I'm just grateful we can have this discussion here without mods (who are supposedly retired from modding) spontaneously coming out of the woodwork to silence any dissent against technocrats like over at VCFED

As long as people stay civilized and don't violate the community guidelines then there isn't any specific rules on what you cannot discuss here on VOGONS (in the milliways section). The main problem is that threads with political themes very often escalate out of control.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 58 of 78, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-10-07, 20:04:
I disagree. It is unfortunately a very real thing that has resulted in the modification and erasure of history. Statues torn d […]
Show full quote

I disagree.

It is a cancer.

I think you are conflating some things here.

Do I think that NVIDIA went overboard with deleting those old tech demos, out of concern that they might objectify women, or reinforce certain beauty standards? Yes. Those things have historic value and were simply a reflection of the zeitgeist when those demos were created. And I for one am glad that the community preserved those demos.

But equating this with tearing down statues of people who fought for the privilege of owning other people as property, that's bullshit.

We're supposed to erect statues of people we want to use as role models, because they helped humanity forward in some way, through sacrifice or innovation.

Most Confederate monuments were created decades after the American Civil War ended, during the hight of the Jim Crow era, for no other reason than to send a message to black people: "know your place".

If you want to have a fair debate about "wokeness", you would be more effective in bringing your point across if you left things like this out of it.

Reply 59 of 78, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The thing you need to watch out for are outsiders who register on the forum specifically to post on these 'political' threads.

That COVID thread last year was OK until one of these guys (the weird pigeon dude) showed up and began crapping all over it. IIRC, he never posted on any other threads, just that one.

Is this too much voodoo?