VOGONS

Common searches

One year anniversary of NVIDIA "cancelling" their old tech demos

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 78, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. There's something that I never really understood.
Maybe it's because I'm from EU, not sure.
Why is violence and gore in media fine (esp. US), but a bit of naked skin is a taboo ?

- That reminds me of that Hot Coffee mod for GTA (?) .
An elderly person (grandma?) said in an interview that she would never had bought
that game for his grandson, if she had known that there was such a mod.
Aha. So she intentionally bought him a game in which the main protagonist is a violent thief, dr*g courier and a killer with a gun. Sweet. 🙄

Ok, there's a female breast visible on the box art of some game box - what gives? 🤷‍♂️
Everyone has seen that, that's just natural. Even young kids have accidentally seen their mother changing clothes at some point.
Or their naked father, maybe, if he was under the shower, hah. 😉
Sure, that situation might be embarrassing perhaps. But that's it. No big deal.
Couldn't it be the case that the prudish parents have more of an issue with that than the kids they try to "protect" ? 😕

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 61 of 78, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why is violence and gore in media fine (esp. US), but a bit of naked skin is a taboo ?

Aha. So she intentionally bought him a game in which the main protagonist is a violent thief, dr*g courier and a killer with a gun. Sweet.

Not 100% sure, but that's probably due to deep cultural roots with Abrahamic religions, which all have some "cult of suffering". Although it's a complicated topic, to say the least.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 62 of 78, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2021-10-07, 20:31:

I was just thinking this morning that someone would mention Tomb Raider sooner or later. At the very least, Lara Croft as a character did more than just prance around seductively on a branch. I wonder just how much of the inception and design of Dawn was based around diverting attention away from the shortcomings of the GeForce FX.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 63 of 78, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good point about that Hot Coffee mod for GTA, Jo22! I remember being as flabbergasted about that controversy as you are.

Here's a game in which you play a ruthless gangster, harming people for personal gain, and then parents (who actually bought that game for their kids) losing their minds as soon as a mod (or was it a built-in easter egg?) is discovered that features non-violent sex between two consenting adults. Whatever happened to "make love, not war"? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reply 64 of 78, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can only really get away with streaming The Elders Scrolls II: Daggerfall because nudity is part of the game stock, not as a mod.

I so much as try that with Morrowind or Oblivion and I will get my account terminated, even though it's just me roleplaying my character the way I want to be.

I seriously can't stand the double-standards in today's society...

On the subject of these NVIDIA demos, I actually did remember some of these many years ago, including seeing the characters as artwork on the graphics cards themselves or their boxes. I didn't really think anything of it at the time.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 65 of 78, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, Nalu was stock picture for cooler covers on GeForce 6800 and 6600 cards. So if you own one, you have "potentially controversial" piece of computer hardware 🤣

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 66 of 78, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I seem to only see Dawn box art for the lower spec budget cards produced after the FX series was over the hill. It could be confirmation bias that the only examples still in boxes are the crappy ones. Can anyone confirm if the box for an FX 5950 Ultra ever relied so heavily on the... charm of the mascot?

Attachments

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 68 of 78, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote on 2021-10-09, 08:56:

Good point about that Hot Coffee mod for GTA, Jo22! I remember being as flabbergasted about that controversy as you are.

You’re welcome! ^^

Big Pink wrote on 2021-10-22, 15:17:

I seem to only see Dawn box art for the lower spec budget cards produced after the FX series was over the hill. It could be confirmation bias that the only examples still in boxes are the crappy ones. Can anyone confirm if the box for an FX 5950 Ultra ever relied so heavily on the... charm of the mascot?

Dawn.. Rawwr.. 😁

Speaking of Dawn, there's a really funny/sarcastic series of reviews of older issues of the German PCGH magazine (vids were on CDs in later issues).
The narrator (Henner) pokes fun about the FX series (esp. FX5800 Ultra, aka "Der Föhn"; "The Hairdryer") and other tech, but constantly finds an excuse to feature Dawn. 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v97nv2IHB0Y&l … zS4vWF9fm5L8zdh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJXzxEObFrA&l … zS4vWF9fm5L8zdh

Attachments

• yt_pcgh_b.jpg
    Filename
    yt_pcgh_b.jpg
    File size
    247 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • yt_pcgh_a.jpg
    Filename
    yt_pcgh_a.jpg
    File size
    257.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 69 of 78, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don’t blame them for removing old demos at this point. Stuff is lost all the time and usually for worse reasons than objectionable taste. Businesses have few reasons to defend obsolete material to their customers, employees and partners, at their expense; they aren’t museums. Preservation is up to other people. Support the Internet Archive.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 70 of 78, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think there's some truth within, yes.
Let's just think of Atari. It's a completely different company each couple of years. 😂

What worries me most, though, is that upcoming mindset of strictness, rejection and second hand embarrassment. Because it's backwards, imho.
'Bad taste' is one thing, but despising others because they don't share a certain point of view is another.
That's how minorities suffered in the past.
Now it's a bit as if these peoples try to turn the tables.
"If you're not for us, you're against us."
That means though times for balanced people that stand in between because they understand/share certain aspects of both sides. 😟

And this kinda makes me sad by the very heart.
In the 90s, both worlds existed in parallel.
There was an increase in political-correctnes, but also people making fun of everything, including themselves.
And people had to learn to get along with it.
This was a rather healthy process, I guess.
People tried to be respectful, but also understood that even a bad joke was just a joke, still.

Nowadays, though, things like cartoons like Who framed Roger Rabbit, Animaniacs or the rather suggestive/provocative/socially critical style of early animation as such would nolonger be possible.

People would be offended all the time, banning and censoring everything and everyone throughout the length.
That in turn would cause people to fear of saying something at all, making them silent. Just like in '1984'.
I think that's not a pretty world to live in, because everything "good" (socially accepted) will be forced, not embraced.

That's why I think that the Wayforward Machine gives a good example of such a possible dystopia.
Hopefully, people in the future will be down to earth again and a bit more relaxed.

Edit: Personally, I think that nvidia simply tries to have a clean slate by removing all the female characters.
Because, as we know, we men, being masculine, are all sexi(e)sts and dirty wild (party) animals that loose self-control all the time.
Hence, this must be put on an end, of course.
They can nolonger stand and watch while we are ab*sing femininity by enjoying dancing pixies in short skirts.
So far for the stereotype. 🙄
Or maybe the company simply follows suggestions of its PR department, not sure.
You know, to make the atmosphere more friendly for women (employees) working at the company.
Seems logical. But also a bit schizophrenic, too.
That's like trying to make an Alien movie more kids friendly, I think.

//My video channel//

Reply 72 of 78, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, we shouldn't conflate two things, though.

Yes, there is definitely a hypocritical tendency of corporations to display their "wokeness" to their customers, spurred on by some very unfortunate current events.

But that doesn't negate the fact that these current events have been occurring often. There is most definitely a cultural problem with inequality, sexism and racism in many working environments, and society in general. If anything, that makes such gestures ring even more hollow.

The despicable stuff that has been going on for instance at Activision Blizzard rightly caused massive outrage worldwide. A female employee was even driven to suicide by a manager who spread nude pictures of her with colleagues as some kind of trophy. Let that sink in for a minute.

And let's not forget that a cop slowly choked a man to death on video in broad daylight, in what unfortunately was just the latest in a long string of publicised cases of police brutality. Think of all the instances were such brutality didn't happen to be caught on camera.

I'm just sharing this because the mass outrage about injustice in its many forms is not itself unwarranted, or an "overreaction". People are rightly fed up with all this.

The employees protesting outside of the headquarters of Blizzard couldn't give a hoot about NVIDIA's removal of a few old tech demos featuring a scantily clad version of Disney's Tinker Bell.

It's not as much about "political correctness" as it is about certain things never having been okay, and more people finally speaking up about it. The fact that in the past they didn't feel like they could say something about it was also kind of a political correctness, when you think about it.

Reply 74 of 78, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2021-10-26, 20:28:

MacDonald's is currently fighting a demand for half a billion dollars in compensation for sex harassment. This is no joke.

And obviously the plaintiff, even if victorious, will never be awarded anywhere near that amount.

Stories like this don't negate the fact that sexual harassment is a serious problem, and one that has been happening on a far larger scale than many people here realize.

Not all people who have faced it are women, by the way. It happens to men too.

Reply 75 of 78, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote on 2021-10-26, 20:14:
Again, we shouldn't conflate two things, though. […]
Show full quote

Again, we shouldn't conflate two things, though.

Yes, there is definitely a hypocritical tendency of corporations to display their "wokeness" to their customers, spurred on by some very unfortunate current events.

But that doesn't negate the fact that these current events have been occurring often. There is most definitely a cultural problem with inequality, sexism and racism in many working environments, and society in general. If anything, that makes such gestures ring even more hollow.

The despicable stuff that has been going on for instance at Activision Blizzard rightly caused massive outrage worldwide. A female employee was even driven to suicide by a manager who spread nude pictures of her with colleagues as some kind of trophy. Let that sink in for a minute.

And let's not forget that a cop slowly choked a man to death on video in broad daylight, in what unfortunately was just the latest in a long string of publicised cases of police brutality. Think of all the instances were such brutality didn't happen to be caught on camera.

I'm just sharing this because the mass outrage about injustice in its many forms is not itself unwarranted, or an "overreaction". People are rightly fed up with all this.

The employees protesting outside of the headquarters of Blizzard couldn't give a hoot about NVIDIA's removal of a few old tech demos featuring a scantily clad version of Disney's Tinker Bell.

It's not as much about "political correctness" as it is about certain things never having been okay, and more people finally speaking up about it. The fact that in the past they didn't feel like they could say something about it was also kind of a political correctness, when you think about it.

My apologies, I acknowledge there's some truth within.

On the other hand, these problems seem to very closely related to the US. Or at least not as drastic over here in old (western) Europe or in Australia.
Violent cops, people black mailing employees, something-rights organizations demonstrating with raised voices in tv/on streets, suicide merely due to nude pics, people stalking kids etc..

That's not normal, imho. In my place, police officers have to attend many years of police school, must pass a psychological test etc.
And their political mind set is also a criteria.
If they are aggressive, racist etc, they will usually be rejected.
Those extreme right wing (?) dudes of over the pond could never enter police duties over here.

Another issues is that all these problems seem to be man made (human made).
The more people are upset and loose their temper, the more the situations seem to escalate.
Also, they seem to start seeing these problems everywhere, as if being a victim of paranoia.

Old children rhymes, old sayings, old books.
To them everything seems to be related to racism, sexism, etc.
Even though in reality, back then this merely was a part of culture (as sad as it is).
I don't say that's an excuse, but that's the way it is or was.
If someone called a black person a ni***er, then because this was a common word,
it wasn't meant as an insult in first place.
Rather, parents simply told their kids that these people are called this way.

Of course, that changed over time. But that's not the point.
Also, changing words (white washing?) is not a solution, either.
Pretty words won't change the underlaying problems.

Imho, it's better to explain everyone how things ended up the way they did.
And instead of censorship, it would be worth a try to remember bad words, old rhymes and tell people/kids how much they hurt others.

Same with sexism. Instead of whining, panuc and suicide, people need to seek for a helping hand.
It needs people that give shelter, tell them that nude pictures are "not the end of their world".
The whole concept of being "shocked" and the fear of shame for breaking a taboo is a root cause for all this issues society has.

I mean, why are people doing suicide in first place?
Because of their family, their friends and people on the other side of TV who might be watching the news while being "shocked" and scream "oh no! shame shame shame!". 😢

Edit: Please don't get me wrong. I don't mean to downplay the suffering of victims here.
What I mean to say is that the current way of dealing with the problems isn't the most sane.
It rather causes sort of a witch-hunt, in which innocent people must suffer.

Edit: I also have sympathy with certain minorities.
Personally, I have absolutely no problems with people being trans or from the other side.
My credo is each to his/her/their own.
Or in other words, IDIC.

//My video channel//

Reply 77 of 78, by pipdemo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2021-10-05, 23:26:
Are you guys about done jacking off to your delusional, political correctness gone mad "what if" scenarios? Can we get back on t […]
Show full quote

Are you guys about done jacking off to your delusional, political correctness gone mad "what if" scenarios? Can we get back on track now?

I have some techdemos archived from years prior, namely:

Bubble
Chameleon
Creature
Dawn
Lightning
LightScattering
Nalu
HumanHead
Squid

If any of these is not uploaded on one of the above archives, I'd be glad to upload them. I have not touched them since around 2012, but the Human Head demo has always been my favorite one. It was eye opening at the time.

I want to study techdemo "Bubble", so I am looking for the source code.

But only the name can be found from waybackmachine, namely: "Bubble_Src01.zip".
https://web.archive.org/web/20000407201 ... D000127CA

I can't download it and I can't found it anyway.

Do you have a copy of it.pls