VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 82, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Buldozer cores have one fpu for two alus, meaning that and eight core buldozer cpu has eight alus but for fpus so they are not real eight core cpu on the strict meaning of the "core" word. Maybe I do not understan it well. That is the reason the only advantage of fx over phenon ii is the new intruction set. And maybe that is the reason that fx cpu had so high stock clock.

Reply 22 of 82, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

are not real eight core cpu on the strict meaning of the "core" word.

There's no standard which defines that each CPU core must have floating point unit.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23 of 82, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-13, 08:59:

are not real eight core cpu on the strict meaning of the "core" word.

There's no standard which defines that each CPU core must have floating point unit.

True, That article explains what I tried to say much better than me, but reading between lines, it explains how the definition of "core" used in bulldozer should be taken with a grain of salt. It also explains how bulldozer was slower than the previous Phenom II cpus clock to clock. Nobody Likes to share his resources 😀
This reminds me what happened with the Pentium 4, Intel had to pay but when it already didn't matter, ten years late I think.

But going back to the topic, the price is inflated from my point of view , because Ryzen cpus nowadays are very good and people thinks that all previous AMD cpus where good, like it happened with other cpus from Intel. a lot of people buys Intel only because of the "Intel inside" not because of the hardware itself, and a lot of people buys AMD nowadays because Ryzen cpus are everywhere in Youtube reviews. The marketing of a product is maybe the most important thing, not the product itself if you want to sell it well. Like the "It's meant to be played" from Nvidia.

Reply 24 of 82, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This reminds me what happened with the Pentium 4

*cough cough* K6

But going back to the topic, the price is inflated from my point of view , because Ryzen cpus nowadays are very good

Nah, FX CPUs just got "second renaissance" from various bloggers, which attracted some shady sellers, which prey on gullible people and crazy collectors. Although attention is mostly concentrated on Vishera CPUs and original Bulldozer or FM2 CPUs are sold for peanuts.

There's also that weird circulating idea that you can make ultimate XP build on AM3+ platform.

Reply 25 of 82, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-13, 14:18:

*cough cough* K6

Yes, K6 cpus are also overpriced I think and their performance is.... just leave it in a bit low, but the platform is interesting to play with. It has so many quirks and faults, that it becomes interesting.

And AM3 CPUS aren't the best for XP, they doesn't have the best IPC of the era and the core cont doesn't matter a lot in XP, Two cores is the max interesting for XP from my point of view, so, although, like I said before, I have more AMD computers than Intel, I think that a Core 2 with a high frequency around the 3Ghz is the best for XP.

Last edited by Hoping on 2021-10-13, 15:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 82, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-13, 15:07:

Old gen cpus lack in the performance department? Not a very big surprise there, they all do 😁

I was thinking in the performance against PII and PIII.

Reply 29 of 82, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-13, 15:15:

The Pentium-3 was released some 2 years after the K6, so hardly a fair comparison...

Wikipedia says that the k6-3 and the PIII katmai where launched on the same month. and cpu-world also list the K6-3 Sharptooth core and PIII Katmai core,as launched in February 1999.
And the coppermine core was launched in October also in 1999, and again the first K7 pluto core was launched in June also in 1999.
This are launch dates not availability dates.
It's a fair comparison.

Reply 30 of 82, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K6 (K6-2)
Who needs efficiency? We can push Mhz and rely on SIMD to fix weak FPU.

Pentium 4
Who needs efficiency? We can push Ghz and rely on SIMD to fix everything else.

Bulldozer
Who needs efficiency? We can push Ghz and rely on general-purpose computing on GPU to fix everything else.

That's a great plan. What could possibly go wrong?

Reply 31 of 82, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-13, 16:03:
K6 (K6-2) Who needs efficiency? We can push Mhz and rely on SIMD to fix weak FPU. […]
Show full quote

K6 (K6-2)

Pentium 4
Who needs efficiency? We can push Ghz and rely on SIMD to fix everything else.

Bulldozer
Who needs efficiency? We can push Ghz and rely on general-purpose computing on GPU to fix everything else.

That's a great plan. What could possibly go wrong?

Totally agree

Reply 32 of 82, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-13, 16:03:

K6 (K6-2)

Me: "Yeah, so lame..."
Also me: *has a gazillion SS7 full PCs (+ motherboards and CPUs) and still wants more. 🤦

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 35 of 82, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for the missunderstanding, I asumend that The serpent ridder was talking about the k6-2 and k6-3 because I've never seen a k6. I have two k6-2 computers and back in the day had a k6-2 400 on a soyo sy-5ema+ with 2mb cache. So nothing against the k6-2. Of course a K6 can't be compared to a P3. I allways liked to buy AMD for new hardware because they ofered more for the same or less money.But the FX line was a mistake and it won't be better as time pases like the pentium 4.

Reply 37 of 82, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember the Athlonx 64 X2 peaked around the mid-late 2000s, because upgrading meant going from socket-939 (AGP,DDR,IDE,WinXP) to the AM-socket platform (DD2/3, PCIe,SATA,Vista) meaning you needed to upgrade EVERYTHING. It was the last hurrah of 90s era tech and a lot of people wanted to keep that platform running as long as possible, and the Athlonx 64 X2 meant not only could you upgrade to a high clocked CPU, but often it meant upgrading from single to dual core for owners of the earlier single-core Athlon64s, which made a tremendous difference. Was probably the best CPU upgrade in history and no wonder prices went through the roof.

Last edited by kolderman on 2021-10-13, 19:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 38 of 82, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hoping wrote on 2021-10-13, 14:59:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-13, 14:18:

*cough cough* K6

Yes, K6 cpus are also overpriced I think and their performance is.... just leave it in a bit low, but the platform is interesting to play with. It has so many quirks and faults, that it becomes interesting.

And AM3 CPUS aren't the best for XP, they doesn't have the best IPC of the era and the core cont doesn't matter a lot in XP, Two cores is the max interesting for XP from my point of view, so, although, like I said before, I have more AMD computers than Intel, I think that a Core 2 with a high frequency around the 3Ghz is the best for XP.

Ehhh, Even the Geforce FX 5950U is CPU limited in 3DMark 2001 with a Core2 X6800 below 3.2-3.3Ghz.

If going for a PCIe setup for XP, the ideal would be whatever the latest you can get XP drivers for as far as the motherboard goes... Probably an LGA-2011 with a Xeon 1680v2 or so along with a couple Geforce GTX Titan X video cards... of course I would be running XP x64 so I could use more RAM as well. The Sound card would be an Audigy 2 ZS or Audigy 4 Pro.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK