VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 49, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LG Velvet 5G.
The only cell phone I currently use is the one my company issued me.
I didn't pick it, but it is a pretty nice phone.
Sad to think that it will likely be LG's last gasp in the cellular market.

Reply 41 of 49, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, sucks they're quitting, LGs have been good to me, sure they had a couple of turkeys in the past, (which I dodged) but so did everyone. I am in two minds about whether it would really make a difference to pick up one of those 5Gs or not vs another choice that's staying in the biz, since I buy "mature" refurbed phones and all others cut off updates after a couple or three years anyway. I think I'd be sad to see them depart even if they weren't among my favorites, the narrowing of the market, since in a decade we might be down to the choice of 4 phones period, Apple/Samsung, budget/flagship.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42 of 49, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-08, 17:54:

Yah, sucks they're quitting, LGs have been good to me, sure they had a couple of turkeys in the past, (which I dodged) but so did everyone. I am in two minds about whether it would really make a difference to pick up one of those 5Gs or not vs another choice that's staying in the biz, since I buy "mature" refurbed phones and all others cut off updates after a couple or three years anyway. I think I'd be sad to see them depart even if they weren't among my favorites, the narrowing of the market, since in a decade we might be down to the choice of 4 phones period, Apple/Samsung, budget/flagship.

Yeah it is a shame for sure.
I see it headed that way though. Samsung & Google, or Apple.

Reply 43 of 49, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was using Magicjack for a long time, because I really didn't care and just wanted a cheap phone number.
I got my first cell phone only a year ago. It was a "Motorola G Stylus". No I don't use the stylus, I only picked that model because it had a better camera than the cheaper one. My actual camera was becoming unusable, so this was killing 2 birds with 1 stone, hopefully.

I liked it, but a few months ago it started locking up and then bricked itself after a firmware update.
It's been replaced under warranty with the newer "2021" version of the same phone. I liked the 2020 version better. The new one is longer and they moved the fingerprint sensor to be less convenient.

I thought it was funny that when responding to my warranty claim, the key difference from my old phone that they were careful to inform me about was the color. Apparently that's the most important thing. Doesn't everybody use a case? That tends to make the phone's color irrelevant.

So I've finally submitted to the demands of the world and have a cell phone. I've had about 3 real phone conversations in the last 6 months.

Reply 44 of 49, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LG Stylo 6 through Cricket. So far the best phone I've had. Usually at year 3 is when things start to have issues. Im keeping this until it dies or can no longer connect because the cell industry made a bigger mousetrap.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 45 of 49, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I probably replied at some point saying I was using a Pixel 4... Well I've now stepped back to using old my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. Its absolutely tiny compared to new, new phones.

I like that I can hold it without blocking the screen when I watch stuff in landscape because it has bezels.

I like that it's actual 16:9 so there is less wasted screen space when watching not very smart content

I like that it has front facing speakers

I like that you can legitimately use it one handed

I like that it has a headphone socket.

I like that it is still entirely fast enough for browsing and watching stuff

I like that GTA San Andreas works on it without sideloading some mod thing.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 46 of 49, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-11-19, 11:48:

Well I've now stepped back to using old my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. Its absolutely tiny compared to new, new phones.

I miss decently specced phones in the 4-5" range. My 6" main phone is already to big to conveniently use in one hand and most flagship phones are above 6". 7" devices used to be tablets and now the flagship phones come at 6.5-6.7"

I used to like my 4" Nokia N9. Aside of that it was a dead-end because of the MeeGo OS. I wish there was a 4.7" Fairphone 4 mini. With a headphone jack and without that peninsula-front camera crap that got so popular among phone manufacturers in the past 3 or so years. And support for CalyxOS.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 47 of 49, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whoops I actually meant XZ1 Compact, from 2017. It's got a 720p 4.6" screen. I think 1080p 5" would be perfect for me. It was small but came with the flagship chipset of the time the Snapdragon 835 and Andreno 540 that was also in that years Samsung Galaxy S-whatever.

And its blue rather than boring silver or white!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 48 of 49, by ronyket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you mean, Phone, I don't use any landline phones anymore.

But smartphones, yes, I use currently 2 old phones.

An Apple iPhone 8 Plus 64 GB
and a Xiaomi Mi 8 128 GB

Both of them were bought back in 2018, and did age well, except for the battery.

Reply 49 of 49, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-11-19, 11:48:
I probably replied at some point saying I was using a Pixel 4... Well I've now stepped back to using old my Sony Xperia Z3 Compa […]
Show full quote

I probably replied at some point saying I was using a Pixel 4... Well I've now stepped back to using old my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. Its absolutely tiny compared to new, new phones.

I like that I can hold it without blocking the screen when I watch stuff in landscape because it has bezels.

I like that it's actual 16:9 so there is less wasted screen space when watching not very smart content

I like that it has front facing speakers

I like that you can legitimately use it one handed

I like that it has a headphone socket.

I like that it is still entirely fast enough for browsing and watching stuff

I like that GTA San Andreas works on it without sideloading some mod thing.

I used this as a business travel media device back when I a) owned a Sony MP-CL1A and b) used to travel for business 🤣

Great little phone, I had a 200GB micro-SD card installed and a ton of movies on it. Was so much easier than trying to use an iPhone to play media on.

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build