Common searches

How over powered are modern PCs?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 103, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-11-12, 20:19:

At least these machines will be responsilby recycled.

Everyone's latched onto recycling, forgetting the saying goes: reduce, reuse, recycle - in decreasing order of effectiveness. Reducing consumption is very threatening to the current organisation of the world.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 61 of 103, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Big Pink wrote on 2021-11-12, 20:50:
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-11-12, 20:19:

At least these machines will be responsilby recycled.

Everyone's latched onto recycling, forgetting the saying goes: reduce, reuse, recycle - in decreasing order of effectiveness. Reducing consumption is very threatening to the current organisation of the world.

Yeah.

And the thing is that the machines could very much be repurposed. Even responsible recycling doesn't mean that all of the raw materials will be repurposed.
I wish they would donate them but it won't happen.
Pretty standard for how things are done, at least in my area of the USA.

Reply 62 of 103, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As someone who stays on the high end of hardware, The amount of bloat and unoptimization in software hasn't regularly had a chance to hit me.

When i was visiting my BF, i got to play a few of my titles on his computer (6600K/GTX1070) and boy did some of them crawl. Warzone in particular was struggling to hit 60 even at 1080p! I monitored his resources and so many programs where eating chunks of his CPU at idle. Google Chrome, Corsair Icue, Steam. All latest versions. Like holy shite. I know a 6600K is getting long in the teeth but i never expected it to get chewed on this bad.

I had a 6700K way back when and i certainly don't remember it being that bogged down.

Last edited by Claris on 2021-11-12, 22:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 64 of 103, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Claris wrote on 2021-11-12, 22:13:

As someone who stays on the high end of hardware, The amount of bloat and unoptimization in software hasn't regularly had a chance to hit me.

When i was visiting my BF, i got to play a few of my titles on his computer (6600K/GTX1070) and boy did some of them crawl. Warzone in particular was struggling to hit 60 even at 1080p! I monitored his resources and so many programs where eating chunks of his CPU at idle. Google Chrome, Corsair Icue, Steam. All latest versions. Like holy shite. I know a 6600K is getting long in the teeth but i never expected it to get chewed on this bad.

I had a 6700K way back when and i certainly don't remember it being that bogged down.

4C/4T is a rough go these days, especially with anything that is fairly modern and optimized for high thread counts.
Even a somewhat older 4c/8t machine will usually handle itself just fine in most of these applications.
I know my old 4770 does surprisingly well at most modern games, just due to that SMT. It really does make a big difference.

Reply 66 of 103, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anders- wrote on 2021-11-12, 22:32:

Fast computers also suffer from crap software, you may not notice it, but the drag on the system is there.

Definitely not noticing it then with my 3900X and 32gb ram. Although i do try to keep down on the clutter whenever possible. No Razer Synapse/Icue/ASUS Aura Sync/spyware junk in the background. No Google Chrome either. No Epic Game Store/Uplay/Origin. Just Steam and Battlenet for Warzone.

Iv spent an hour or so today optimizing my BFs PC to keep it as bloat free as possible. Did a small overclock on his 6600K too and it seems to be a bit snappier. Happy overall!

Reply 67 of 103, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I see many are using powerful old cpus anyway... I'm using a Core2 E8600 2 x 3,33Ghz no HT and 8GB DDR3 for most tasks 😁. But the SSD (too bad on SATA2 connection) as usual sure does help a lot. A right Linux distribution with some old style GUI, also gives this config much more lifetime. The idea was going for the Q9650 but they costs and I'm not sure it's worth. At the end the mainboard might still fail in future. But nowdays it still works quite well.

Reply 68 of 103, by fxgogo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Big Pink wrote on 2021-11-12, 20:50:

Exactly!!! My wife and have friends we know who think they are doing the earth a good service because they recycle and buy items that can be recycled. They are missing the first two very important words, reduce and reuse. When we suggest they should shop for clothes at charity stores and buy second hand, we get looks of horror.

Reply 69 of 103, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Claris wrote on 2021-11-13, 03:45:

Fast computers also suffer from crap software, you may not notice it, but the drag on the system is there.

Definitely not noticing it then with my 3900X and 32gb ram. Although i do try to keep down on the clutter whenever possible. No Razer Synapse/Icue/ASUS Aura Sync/spyware junk in the background. No Google Chrome either. No Epic Game Store/Uplay/Origin. Just Steam and Battlenet for Warzone.

Iv spent an hour or so today optimizing my BFs PC to keep it as bloat free as possible. Did a small overclock on his 6600K too and it seems to be a bit snappier. Happy overall!

I don't notice a drag on my 3900x system either. It might be there but I guess the resources are just that much higher so it goes unnoticed.
My desktop at work is a meger i5-7500 and boy do I ever notice a drag at times with it.
And of course I'm not gaming with it just the usual office work.

Reply 70 of 103, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive got quite a few"modern" but still old PCs...but my 2 mains are an old Dual Xeon Dell Precision T5400 and a ThinkPad T61, both are nearing 10 years old....im running them till they die. Both run 64-bit Linux mint whateverthelatestis. Im also using an old I7 latitude for recording passthrough from my CRT TV and using Windows 10 when I need it.

I don't need much power tbh. If FLmail had TLS and a better 256 color pallet, and there was a Youtube client for FreeDOS I could daily one of the 4 486 systems quite happily. I could easily spend the forseeable future praying to the DX4 gods.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 71 of 103, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-11-15, 17:00:
I don't notice a drag on my 3900x system either. It might be there but I guess the resources are just that much higher so it goe […]
Show full quote
Claris wrote on 2021-11-13, 03:45:

I don't notice a drag on my 3900x system either. It might be there but I guess the resources are just that much higher so it goes unnoticed.
My desktop at work is a meger i5-7500 and boy do I ever notice a drag at times with it.
And of course I'm not gaming with it just the usual office work.

🤷 My i7-4770 with 12GB DDR3 and SSD feels as snappy as ever. I can't ever notice a 'drag'. Running Windows 10 with a GTX1650 Super.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 72 of 103, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For some tasks, yes, by a wide margin modern PCs are overpowered. How much power do you need for email or a word processor really?

That said, for other tasks there still just isn't enough juice. High end gaming always pushes PCs to the limits.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 73 of 103, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The old joke about the Cray super computers were that they were so fast, they could run an infinite loop in 6 seconds.... I think the latest desktops have got it under 2 now 😉

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 74 of 103, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My daily driver (not my gaming system) is an old i5-2400 @3.10GHz. Despite being slow and outdated, it is fast enough to run everything I throw at it: Photoshop, Corel, XAMPP, AutoCAD, ArcGIS, virtual machines, to name a few. In case of games (which I rarely play on this PC anyway), it is always the GPU that's the bottleneck.

The problem is; it is always bogged down by certain websites, like WhatsApp Web and Quora. But the worst offender is always video conferencing software like Zoom and Microsoft Teams, especially when videos are on. That's why I always ask participants to turn off videos every time I host a meeting.

It is kinda ironic. In the past, especially during DOS era, I always got the impression that it was engineering software that demanded hefty system requirements, like 486 DX and above. Now engineering software run smoothly on my machine, while websites slow it down.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 75 of 103, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-11-08, 23:45:

We are somewhere near 99% bloat
And it’s unlikely to get better as we continue down the rabbit hole of new code on top of antique psuido code that becomes redundant.

This is truly sad. It’s true though. There is this project somewhere where they proved how bad it was by releasing a full 3d playable game that was like 100kb or something rather. They made a 3d demo that was like 50 or 60kb

Maybe I got the sizes wrong, this might be one of them.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/3d-gra … f-space.574596/

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 76 of 103, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-11-19, 03:17:

The problem is; it is always bogged down by certain websites, like WhatsApp Web and Quora. But the worst offender is always video conferencing software like Zoom and Microsoft Teams

MS Teams must be one of the most inefficient softwares ever written. It takes over a gig of ram even when it is running in background..

Reply 77 of 103, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess you mean .kkrieger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 78 of 103, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those projects are really interesting from a tech point of view even if I suppose that in a modern gaming scenario it'd be difficult to imagine the same thing but it really show how much could be optimized. But imho games are another story in the heavy consumer oriented sw world, where there're store/apps to install them, launch them, running in background, many dependencies, online services, logics that are far from any "optimization" intended as a "the less the better" but seems like the common way to play nowdays. So all that probably need much more computing power and resources to do what the offline CD original version of the same game did with a much slower config and still better. I ran different old titles on a modern o.s. and comparing to the same titles in the original Win 9x o.s. on incredibly slower config, the last still win on frame rate, latency, without anything modern running in background that's needed nowdays but it was not in the old times.
Maybe modern version of those games might have some new effects, gfx engine or whatever, but the whole more complexity it doesn't look like necessary user oriented.

Reply 79 of 103, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Armagetron installer is only 3 MB. I installed the game yesterday and was surprised by this. The installed game takes up only 7 MB.

Is this too much voodoo?