Common searches

VOGONS github

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by sulix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2021-11-28, 00:24:

Compiled OmniSpeak SVN (Commander Keen 4,5,6, SDL2) for Windows XP, easy.

FYI, the new version 1.1 builds of Omnispeak should work on Windows XP out of the box — at least, they do in a VM. (There may be issues if you're running on really old CPUs, though.)

Windows XP support is definitely something I intend to maintain for it, so if there's ever any issues getting it working on Windows XP, please report them as a bug.

Reply 21 of 25, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sulix wrote on 2021-12-17, 10:00:

FYI, the new version 1.1 builds of Omnispeak should work on Windows XP out of the box — at least, they do in a VM. (There may be issues if you're running on really old CPUs, though.)
Windows XP support is definitely something I intend to maintain for it, so if there's ever any issues getting it working on Windows XP, please report them as a bug.

Wow. Thanks for stopping by, releasing v1.1 and committing to Windows XP compatibility. Your new package omnispeak-win32-1.1.zip works just fine with Windows XP on real hardware. 😀

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 22 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back.
Went on vacation and a funeral and now playing catchup.
Noticed one of my 5 bay NAS is almost out of space. Where do the TB go..... (22.8 TB for games from online stores apparently), going to see what I can clean up there to make the latest monthly backup.
Down to 6TB free on my server and if I unpack more games then more space used for backups so may have to freeze the unpacking for now.
Resuming work on Vmware VMs of Windows versions.
Also running exiftool against online store games to find versions of files.
I did setup a WSUS 2022 VM for Windows 2000+ before I left but WSUS is just as much of a pain today as it was when it was released with console crashes even if you provide the resources, run the scripts, don't approve superseded updates, etc etc etc. I'll likely just setup a base WSUS VM and then make multiple copies for each Windows version for all the updates. Makes you wonder how MS handles it.
Also need to see about setting up a WSUS VM and importing the MS catalog updates.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline

Reply 23 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sidetracked into wsus. Creating a 2022 vm per grouping of os downloads solved wsus stability. Tons of space needed for downloads but now that I know it works I can let it download and work on the vms for below windows 2000. Manually importing all ms catalog updates into wsus looks like it'll be fun so hopefully someone has figured out how to automate that.

Also solved a random freezing issue on my desktop pc which prevented progress turns out the shitty icue software was the issue so unininstalled that crap and 100% stable again.

I did a little bit with eol updates. Created another xp vmware vm for just pos updates. These can also be installed through wsus as long as the reg key is set. Once I have all the vmware vms done plan would be to setup a pcem vm to verify the last xp pos update before sse2. Don't think I have a vm or hardware to test windows 7 updates before sse2 ....maybe bochs.

Reply 24 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got Windows 2000 talking to WSUS on Windows 2022. Helps when you use the right address....
Checked Windows Update synced Windows 2000 VM against WSUS and no new updates found so good to go!
Also now downloading all Windows updates in other languages instead of just English so will see if WSUS holds up.

I've also identified the last working version of WSUS offline for each Windows version starting at Windows 2000 and downloaded the updates for each one. I'll need to track down the last known good wsusscn2.cab for the no longer supported versions of Windows so that WSUS offline can actually install the updates.

Reply 25 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still a WIP with WSUS. I'm working on finishing downloading Windows 10,11 and Windows server 2016+ updates, verifying the VMs can connect and updating them.
Current downloaded WSUS updates are around 800GB. Can probably reduce that by about 300GB by removing OS upgrades from one ver to another, I actually did that already for one OS because the total download size was crazy (lots of .esd files) so plan to check that again when my server hits 1TB of free space. Currently holding at 3TB.
Would be nice to store these somewhere on the net for others but I'm not interested in paying to store on the Internets what would amount to likely 1TB+ of updates. Before even doing that would first verify with a blank WSUS install if WSUS would detect these updates and not re-download or if it would overwrite, If it would overwrite then not much point in uploading. Mabye the focus should be on OS you would have to jump through hoops to update so all Windows OS up to vista.

So after WSUS updates are done then Windows VMs for below Windows 2000 will need to be created. Will have to decide Autopatcher vs scripts for updates and make sure I have all those updates and if not download them. Script is likely better, much simpler and less obfuscation.

I think the above would be sufficient to then stop for now with VM setup and go through the repos I've already put on the vogonsorg github and add the missing last working version for each OS or update what is already there. This wouldn't cover systems without SSE,SSE1 or SSE2 but it would be sufficient from an OS compatibility standpoint.

As far as 3D acceleration then for Vmware OGL and D3D are supported for XP+ on Vmware 16. For Vista you have to use older Vmware tools otherwise OGL is broken but no big deal. Windows 2000 used to have 3D acceleration but appears that isn't the case with newer versions of Vmware but there is a rumour that you can set the hardware version of the VM to a lower version to get it working again. If this is untrue then pcem it is for 3D for 9x-3.5x-NT4-2000. I also have my test desktop which I'll just sysprep my vmware vms and restore them to my desktop so I don't have to create seperate images.

For wrappers KernelEx for 9x, Blackwingcat for 2000, OneCoreAPI for XP and I think there's one for vista as well I'll just duplicate the existing vms and have a VM for each one.