VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a heads up for anyone that thought that these games were ripe for remastering, The DE is not very good.

- The art style is subjective but the consensus seems to be that it does not particularly enhance the graphics. The city graphics are nice though.
- There are numerous graphical glitched - minor stuff but stuff that chips away at the experience
- The shooting mechanic is pretty hopeless even with a controller (i.e. what it was designed for) with lock on "suction" happening over half a (wide)screen. Whilst looking forward Claude with lock onto a corpse about 5m back and 160 degrees to his right rather than the guy sprinting straight ahead. Usually aim assist is, like, a centimeter of physical screen distance, on this it will literally lock on over a distance of 10cm, you can go from looking straight up at the sky *press aim* locking onto a guy in front of you.
- Drive-bys are pretty hard now as previously you pressed a button to look 90degrees left or right, release the button and you look straight ahead. Now you have to rotate the camera and then rotate it back again, using the mouse / right analogue stick.
- SSAO, blur and depth of field have been used to make the game extra shiny and look objectively bad!
- Character models are terrible with people often appearing with stupid necks, more than one set of elbows
- Some music has been removed from the game. You can't add your own music to the game I don't think.
- I've come across a number of non graphical glitches like invisible walls in the middle of a car park (and right behind a car spawn!)
- The GTA3 rain effect is so dense on-screen that it made me feel physically motion sick!

All this for £55 whilst removing the original games from Steam. I'm not a steam monopoly fanboi (I'm quite happy using other launchers) but the removal of the old games bugs me. Fortunately I've had them in my library on steam and disk for ages.

https://i.redd.it/zfcxadywm0z71.png

PXL-20211111-161147120.jpg

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was just talking to my brother about the recent remakes.

Main reason I got the C&C one was for the music, everything is just a bonus in my book.
He also got Diablo 2 and said it did look nice, he enjoys it but agreed the original is perfectly fine as well when all said and done.

but neither of us even considered . Problem is even the steam version had it's problems vs the original.
The missing music sucks but I can understand, licences run out but the various software changes? bugs? especially in SA always made me glad I owned a physical copy.

Problem we now have is with every re-release is what version will they base the game on? Most likely the newer but inferior Steam version.
Luckily GTA has enough of a cult following I'm sure the community will create a patch allowing the best of both worlds.

Reply 2 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They already did with re3 and revc, which also work on xp but of course Rockstar shut those down as well (There are two repos on github that are still online) as some mods for this BS. Don't buy it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 14, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sure a couple of patches will fix many of the bugs, you just need to be patient. On Nintendo switch, the game looks cool, although it slows down a little. I do not recommend connecting to a 4K TV, as the image looks terribly blurry.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 4 of 14, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Standards are slipping at Rockstar https://games.slashdot.org/story/21/11/13/013 … including-files

Between the easy money of GTA Online, re-releasing their old titles, the departures of Dan Houser and Lazlow; I remain convinced, as I've been saying since 2015, that there will not be a GTA6.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 5 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Third-party shady stores will probably have a field day selling keys to original Steam releases. That being said, you still can buy them on PS3, which are original PS2 images.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 14, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

as with most remakes, hd editions, 'enhanced' re-releases etc they are not really worth it, beyond the convenience of playing on whatever new platform they go with

even when they are done well if nothing much new is added then it soon becomes the same game again, but with discernible leaves no the trees this time

Reply 10 of 14, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well this has got a whole lot worse since posting this thread! I couldn't actually play it all weekend, none of the games showed up in my Rockstar library.

To be honest the only benefit of these games I see is you can run the games at 60fps (if your PC is powerful enough) whereas the older games run best at 30 (which is apparently 25 in practice). Faster rates mess up the physics.

The steam version of SA is no worse than the remaster - both are missing music, both has nice controller support, both have wide-screen support, one has nicer environments whilst the other has (arguably) better character models.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 11 of 14, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-11-15, 13:10:

Well this has got a whole lot worse since posting this thread! I couldn't actually play it all weekend, none of the games showed up in my Rockstar library.

To be honest the only benefit of these games I see is you can run the games at 60fps (if your PC is powerful enough) whereas the older games run best at 30 (which is apparently 25 in practice). Faster rates mess up the physics.

The steam version of SA is no worse than the remaster - both are missing music, both has nice controller support, both have wide-screen support, one has nicer environments whilst the other has (arguably) better character models.

They removed the trilogy from PC after dataminers found unused leftover bits of the soundtrack and some other junk. Guess the music licensing people didn't like that.

As a semi related thought. Why do some games still feel the need to tie physics to frame rate in 2021? This coming from someone who's experienced how smooth games look and feel on a high refresh monitor. Why would you ever want to hardcode 60 or 30FPS on an engine level? Doing it for artistic reasons or to fit console limitations is understandable. But leave it unlocked for power users.

Reply 12 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

re3 response to take two
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.u … 384429.24.0.pdf

Take Two is full of shit.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 14, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A long time ago, I tried some fan made mods on these three games, but it's so many years since I've played the games, that I have no idea of the state of the art of modern mods for GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas. But I have read more than a couple of comments re: this 'Definitive' Edition trilogy saying that you can get better, more beautiful results by just using the original releases of the games with the best fan-made graphical improvement packs. It would be interesting to see screenshots of expertly modded original versions of the games, versus screenshots of the Definitive Edition.

From what I've also read, the best things about the Definitive Edition trilogy are the inclusion of mid-mission checkpoints, and a better on-foot weapon aiming system. I wouldn't be too surprised if mods to add these two features to the original releases of the games had been around for well over a decade. The GTA 3 (and onward) modding community is pretty big, and has some really talented developers.