VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Achernar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!
I recently discovered this forum and, after reading some interesting topics, I wanted to register for this website.
Since I am a new user, I'd like to introduce myself.
I am a 19-year-old retro PCs and videogames enthusiast from Italy, so I want to apologize in advance if I don't write correctly in English.
I've been interested in computers in general since I was a child, but I had to wait until I was 12 to get my own first and current desktop computer.
Retro PCs and games sparked my curiosity about three years ago: I was fascinated by old pixelated graphics, by computers and videogames history.
So, as an experiment, me and my father tried to power on his Commodore 64, stored in a basement for ages. I was truly amazed because, despite its age and not being in a perfect shape, it can still run some games.
Since then, I developed a passion for these ancient technologic treasures from the past and I began collecting retro consoles and computers.
I accumulated only a little experience at repairing some of these and building PCs: for example, I upgraded my computer, built a new PC for a friend, repaired two 2000s laptops (one had dried thermal paste and the other one a broken HDD), a Nintendo NES (it required a new 72 pin connector)... Unfortunately, I can't solder and this is a huge limit.
I have so much to learn about old software and hardware and day by day I try to discover something new.
I hope I will improve my knowledge and I will repair other oldies thanks to this forum.
By the way, happy 2022!

Reply 2 of 6, by Achernar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-31, 12:57:

Welcome!

What's your favourite era?

I can't solder either but I will learn now that I have some fancy gear. Let's make it a new years promise to learn.

That's a difficult question to answer! I like almost everything before 2010s for different reasons: my childhood is bound to some late 90s/early 2000s PCs and to my still working Nintendo DS, and I am also fascinated by many retro PCs, consoles and games that came before 2000s for their history. For obvious reasons, I've started to collect what I can store, for example an Atari 2600 Woody Light Sixer, the first Game Boy and Game Boy Color, Nintendo NES, a beautiful Vectrex, an Inno-Hit Sportron that belonged to my father's childhood and was miraculously saved thanks to isopropyl alcohol... And for what concerns computers, Commodore 64, Commodore 128 and a broken Commodore 16 from my family, Amiga 500, an IBM 5140 that needs some help (I'll post something about its broken printer), a Toshiba "portable" computer T3100e with its almost sci-fi plasma orange screen, ZX Spectrum +2...
I need more space if I want to show all of them (I'm dreaming about a little personal museum in a far future... well, just dreams!), however they are well stored.
During this new year (and for the other years, of course), I want to learn more about many subjects: not only something more about computer history and trying to solder at least basic things, but also programming only for hobby purposes, so nothing serious, for now. I have zero experience and I would like to learn and have fun with simple commands in BASIC for Commodore. A similar thing already happened when I started to use DOSBox some years ago... it was just for the sake of curiosity, because I wanted to know what DOS is, since I never used a computer with DOS before due to my young age.
So, fun is my attitude towards learning and discovering.
Every suggestion about is welcome!

Reply 3 of 6, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you haven't watched them already, I recommend the 8-bit guy on YouTube, he has made some really interesting documentaries on commodore.

I have attempted to dip into digital technology but in the end I'm more of a software guy. Made my first applications in turbo Pascal.

Personally I am mostly a pc guy but that is mostly because of games and lack of space. I'd like a Amiga 600 at some point though but most cause of the form factor.

You mention a Toshiba t3100e. I was close to buying a similar model a few months ago but at the moment I saw no use for it. I regret it at this point though. Would have been very cool to run some dungeon crawler on it. 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by Achernar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-31, 16:33:
If you haven't watched them already, I recommend the 8-biy guy on YouTube, he has made some really interesting documentaries on […]
Show full quote

If you haven't watched them already, I recommend the 8-biy guy on YouTube, he has made some really interesting documentaries on commodore.

I have attempted to dip into digital technology but in the end I'm more of a software guy. Made my first applications in turbo Pascal.

Personally I am mostly a pc guy but that is mostly because of games and lack of space. I'd like a Amiga 600 at some point though but most cause of the form factor.

You mention a Toshiba t3100e. I was close to buying a similar model a few months ago but at the moment I saw no use for it. I regret it at this point though. Would have been very cool to run some dungeon crawler on it. 😀

Thank you for your suggestions!
I know 8-bit-guy, but I need to watch some more videos from his channel. I'll surely see his documentaries!
I am both computer and console lover... well, childhood's fault. I grew up with both PC and console games, especially with Nintendo games.
During these last years I'm discovering, as I mentioned before, older games. Now I'm trying to complete Another World. There are also several old games that I'd like to play and complete, for example Monkey Island, Sid Meier's Pirates (I only played the newer version for Windows when I was little), Prince of Persia, Wolfenstein 3D, Myst, Driver... just to name some of the most famous. I still appreciate more recent games, too, that my not-so-new desktop computer can manage.
I hope you'll find another computer similar to Toshiba t3100e: I love it, mostly because of its peculiar screen and the possibility to run MS DOS 6.22. However, I have to search for some old floppy disk games for DOS... I only tried Windows 3.1, already installed in its HDD, with a serial mouse. I simply had fun with an orange version of Solitaire and Minesweeper! 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing wrong with consoles. I grew up with the nintendo, then Amiga and later pc in ca 1996 when the internet became mainstream.

The games you mention are awesome!

Try to get old floppies as the newly produced are normally of low quality.

Reply 6 of 6, by Achernar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you again for the good advice!
Happy to see another one who grew up with Nintendo!
During this new year, I'd like to find some old floppies... along with some console cartidges to add to my collection! 😀