VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Summer here in Argentina, time to host the annual Retrolan.

Whats-App-Image-2022-01-04-at-10-34-33-1.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-01-04-at-10-34-33.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-01-05-at-07-59-01.jpg

Let alone Covid, its getting harder to reunite my friends (we are in our mid 30's), agree in a date and expect that everyone will show up. I feel like almost everyone dont take in account the days and effort that takes to setup all the pcs / notebooks and install all the games, especially that ALL have to work in a variety of hardware

Its sad that this is something uncommon today and the majority of new games dont even have a LAN option, so i stick with classics from 1997 to 2003

does anyone still host lan partys?

Reply 1 of 9, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I salute a fellow LAN-gamer and partake in the sorrow for the loss of this once greatest gaming option. The best multiplayer experiences I ever had were hotseat or getting the crew together for something like this. If you weren't all the way in Argentina, I'd join you. At least for UT, StarCraft and WORMS. 😁

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 2 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sucks, not entirely a covid thing though, ppl were making memes about it before... https://imgur.com/a/yuvE3
Meaning as ppl move on with their lives, have relationships, families, real jobs, it all gets hectic and it's hard to make plans and keep them.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 9, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The last LAN party I held was way back in the early 00s and the A/C at our house failed on a hot, humid summer day. Yeah, let's just say no one felt like playing anymore and the computers had huge floor fans blowing on them. It took an entire day just to set it all up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reply 5 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least you have friends to plan a lan party with. For me it's hard enough already to play recent games with friends and none of them are interested in old games.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 6 of 9, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't been to a LAN since the early 2000s. It was fun at the time but when we all got fast internet I think we saw no reason to. Internet was in many ways a blessing to gamers, but not socially, as it made gamers, who usually are already by their very nature, more introvert.

Thing is that most people never really know what is good for them, and it is healthy even for the most introverted, to socialize. It takes an effort though, and when you have a family and work full time, it is not that easy.

Reply 8 of 9, by vad4r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of my last lanpartys, 3 years ago - befor Covid.

0002.jpg
Filename
0002.jpg
File size
917.93 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It was a "3dfx only" Party and my neighbours on the left and right both had such a beast in operation

0003.jpg
Filename
0003.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I miss it 🙁

vae victis!

Reply 9 of 9, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hirsch wrote on 2022-01-06, 20:15:

Setting up the LAN always was a challenge back then. It always took a half day to find out who had the defective tee connector or terminator.

you need to own all the computers, that is the only way to not waste time