VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello.

My brother-in-law has two software for controlling hydroponic irrigation system at a greenhouse. Those fucking lame programs are New Executables, that is, Windows 3.x executables. Now that we are running Windows XP we are having some problems running them (we had those problems too under Win95, though). Do you know some application that may convert or intercept system calls (user.dll gdi.dll etc) and make use of new calls. What a POS. Funny thing is that he paid for it (it's legit) and the company installing it are using the same version over and over. I have said my brother-in-law to talk to them (it's C++ code); that they just need to recompile the sources for Win32, but hey, no heed, no luck.

PS - Yeah, I know I am probably asking for something impossible.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WINE seems to be for Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris (and maybe some OSes more). We use Windows XP.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 3 of 8, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, but I guess this kind of conversion is really impossible to do. Anyway, what are these programs trying to do that gets them into trouble under Win95, that basically runs the same 16bit code from WFWG 3.11, and also do not work inside the WoW subsystem from Windows XP? I can't image what could go wrong with a Win16 executable under XP, except if it tries to access hardware devices directly.

As a last resort, had you tried to install a copy of Windows 3.1x under VMWare?

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Forgot to say that both programs work as intended. The only problem we have is that graphical display appear somewhat shrinked as if text inside dialogs wouldn't fit anymore.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 5 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

tried the dosbox cvs with win3.11 ?
or do they need to control external stuff ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 8, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

The only problem we have is that graphical display appear somewhat shrinked as if text inside dialogs wouldn't fit anymore.

It's a wild guess, but could this happen because some font used by the programs is missing in Windows XP, maybe because they could not ne installed during setup? Do you have access to a computer running these programs correctly under Windows 3.1, so you can check the list of installed fonts in the machine?

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will try that. Sounds likely, because the program woks well on some machines and not on others, even if they have the same Windows XP version.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)