VOGONS

Common searches

Are we opening sealed copies of old games?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 67, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't got much sealed software, so how does this work, which ones am I allowed to open? 😜

edit: Holy crap, again, why does the rotate only sometimes stick??

Attachments

• swrapsoft.jpg
    Filename
    swrapsoft.jpg
    File size
    371.68 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The unopened stuff..
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 61 of 67, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-21, 22:23:

edit: Holy crap, again, why does the rotate only sometimes stick??

Send Snover a private message with the original file and a link to this post, he may be able to discover what happened if he is not too busy with life, the universe, and everything.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 62 of 67, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here’s one:

I bought this a few days ago. Only $25.00. It was listed as brand new, but has tears in the plastic. No problem, a $25.00 game, I’m going to open it. I opened it up, and there are finger prints on the disc a long with a sticker on the CD case and heavy scratching! It has a water-logged instruction manual, but no other inserts. Needless to say, it’s going back.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t a Slipnot CD or pizza menu, both of which would have been preferred.

Attachments

Reply 63 of 67, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd leave it sealed and download the game

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 64 of 67, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don’t own anything for resale or show in a sealed retail package. Buying sealed sometimes just to know I get a complete item and maybe for the full experience of opening a fresh item.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 65 of 67, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like opening stuff I buy. New and sealed should mean nobody has made a mess or, broken, scratched or lost anything. Sensation of exploration, new domain, first man on the moon, from opening. No smudgy fingerprints or... wtf it that, coffee - mud - blood?!

Plus it's hard to be sure it's not been resealed... and some manufacturers never seal as such... and even if it is sealed, there might be manufacturing defects or omissions... No, I'd definitely open a box unless for some reason I can't be bothered or haven't got round to it. I have a couple of sealed Hydralisk kits from about 20 years ago that never got opened, but it's still on the to-do list...

Reply 67 of 67, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OT, but watch out for sealed 'new' vinyl records too. These often have scratches and other damage. A lot of people are buying these things but not actually opening and playing them, so the manufacturers get away with it.

Is this too much voodoo?