VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Dell small form factor case. Originally a P4 of some kind. Small ATX PSU. Low profile floppy and DVD-RW, both use a standard plugs for motherboard. Few modificatons to the case. front switches for Turbo and DX2 50/80 speed. Overclocked/underclocked AMD 3.3v DX2 66. Asus PVI-486SP3. Trindent 9000i 512kb ISA. That crappy Sound Blaster 16 clone ALS100. Both are crap, but are so low profile, that they fit in the case. 20GB 2,5" HDD, only 8GB is available without software layer. The guts are a mess, but it is compact, and all works, and i can make game collections with DVD+R disks. By the way MSCDEX reads all the 5GB just fine if you put 8.3 file name and some directory tree limitations on the burned ISO.

PS. A free Windows XP licence key for ya'al.

Attachments

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 1 of 5, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you overclock the ISA bus, 40MHz FSB 1/3 fraction is 13,33MHz, the ALS100+ works fine, and Trident 9000i runs Doom just fine and with Fast Doom h13 mode it is butter smooth, in the good VESA card and DX4 levels smooth. In lower ISA speeds the Tridend will bottleneck a little.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 2 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, I like smaller form factors.... maybe because I'm getting old and humping something like a 5170 around is too much like a workout 🤣 ... (Not so much on the muscles, it's hard on my back and knees.... lift with your knees they said, now I got bad knees and a bad back 🤣 )

So AMD 3.3V DX2... did you ever try setting it as DX4? ... best to try on 25mhz bus since we know it's good for 80.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 5, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I live at a 2 bedroom 60Sqareroot apartment, just want to make my computers smaller. I have 40x 486 to P3.

Reply 4 of 5, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well my main problem is space, and it is just a nice hobby, to cram retro comuters in small cases. I have use a VCR case, DVD player case, few small UPS cases, uATX case. 486 cpus are X locked in my opinion. So you can not change from DX2 to DX4, but FSB easily changeable and somehow the FSB speed change in Asus PVI-486SP3 is totally hotswichable like turbo. So 25/40 fsb change is noticeable if you spin around in DooM and switch the FSB jumper.

BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-11, 17:00:

Nice, I like smaller form factors.... maybe because I'm getting old and humping something like a 5170 around is too much like a workout 🤣 ... (Not so much on the muscles, it's hard on my back and knees.... lift with your knees they said, now I got bad knees and a bad back 🤣 )

So AMD 3.3V DX2... did you ever try setting it as DX4? ... best to try on 25mhz bus since we know it's good for 80.

Reply 5 of 5, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the AV9155 and i connected JP27 upper pins to a switch. All lower pins are only a parking position, so nothing changes, if you do not short lower pins.

Attachments