VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it just me that finds this "time capsule" so interesting? I recently downloaded this from some website and found this in the zip file.

To think this file was uploaded 32.5 years ago over their 2400bps modem, with the exact time and date and even NAME given and it's survived long enough to be uploaded to a retro software site. The timestamp on the file itself matches too. And all the other files are older.

So cool.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is cool to come across an old file like that, especially with the history attached in this case.
I've hesitated to edit the metadata on mp3 files just because I don't want to lose their original file dates.

Reply 2 of 3, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even more outstanding was discovering the original DOS 0.90 160kb floppy disk had been preserved and digitally transfered exactly as the 5,25" floppy disk appeared way back in April, 1981. The disk can be re-written exactly byte-for-byte and can booted and run, with its "notes" file as well. This was a direct port of Q-DOS which was later released as MS-DOS 1.0 in August, 1981.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool stuff! 😎

That reminds me a bit of Packet Radio, by the way.
1200 Baud were common on VHF amateur radio back in the day.

In the 90s (Europe) PR with 1200 to 2400 Baud was common on CB radio, too, because it could still fit in an voice channel.

Popular TNCs were the TNC1/HD4040, TNC2 (clones!), PK-232, MFJ-1278, Kantronics etc.

https://www.pestingers.net/pages-images/heath … 4040/hd4040.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//