Common searches

lga2011 motherboards

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 39, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These boards I believe are still being sold for 100$+/-. That guy's video as well as any number of amazon reviews states the major problem is usb3. They can also be flashed w/another board's bios. They're alleged to be functional, even useful for gaming, just that the performance isn't great, due to single channel memory.

LTT stated that with the x79 boards, they were authentic chips that were scavenged from used boards.

I thought maybe the e5-2603 v3 used ddr3 only but no. I have a stick of ddr3 ecc, but I suspect that won't solve any problems, despite it said the board can use ddr3 or ddr4. My case got closed somehow, not sure why. I'll open one again somehow if needed. That's the end of chinese bullshit for me. Actually it's the beginning and the end.

Reply 21 of 39, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

care to share us some photos and more info like brandname, model number, seller,... so we can be informed a little more on what not to obtain?

also ddr3&ddr4 normally have different sockets, and I think the 2678v3, which apparently is a specific oem model of the cpu can work with ddr3 & ddr4... if the socket is appropriate, the other cpus, I ain't so sure of. v3 (aside from specific models)&v4 only ddr4, v1 & v2 only ddr3.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 22 of 39, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it sounds chinese, don't buy it. Unless it's 18$ and you have the reasonable guarantee of a refund. Why spend 100$+/- for an off brand when a lower end asus, msi, ... goes for that? I'll post photos by the weekend.

Reply 23 of 39, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-10, 08:46:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-10, 07:28:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-10, 07:06:

So they did the whole media gx/socket 7 thing all over again? Made a socket that fits cpus that will break it?

Well no, the socket is the same numbering but the V1, V2 and V3 sockets have different CPU keys that prevent insertion of the wrong CPU, much like 775/771 use, you can modify the socket but thats a silly thing to do.

775/771 that was the whole core 2/xeon thing right? Weren’t you able to get xeons working on 775 using a pin mod and a file on the cpu pcb

In OP’s case it’s different ram types leading to more of a pinout inpossibility?

I don't know if this is commonly known, but there are 1 or more lga775 xeons, apart from that mod. I modded an lga771 xeon, just the chip, did a bang up job (by eye). But stopped at modding any of the lga775 boards I have. I think only 1 might be a realistic possibility, given the microcode is magically present on the asus website.

Reply 24 of 39, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, "new" cpu came very early. This Keystone outfit seems pretty high class. Sent the chip in a padded plastic carrier. Anyway ... tested my memory with a Zotac B150 board, just to be sure, no issues. Plugged new cpu and memory into ths 4th motherboard, one which wasn't possibly damaged by mishandling or bad extraneous components, touched "on" pins with a key, just like I did with the Zotac. Nada. BUT ... I noticed something I hadn't previously. The power supply is a Rosewill Hercules (1600 watt). When you flip the on switch, there's a diode on the p/s that turns yellow. After I connected the pins, it turned red! What is that likely to signify? Bad vrm?

Reply 25 of 39, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's no mention in the rosewill hercules 1600watt psu manual of the led.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 28 of 39, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-12, 21:43:

Anyone else having problems uploading photos?

no, you just gotta add text after the quote

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 29 of 39, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not following you. But here goes -

Nope. I choose a file and nothing happens. I've done it before, somethings up.

May as well spill the beans. Ebay shat on my appeal, because it was over 30 days. I erased at least 80% of my saved searches (I kept a few ultra rare items for which I rarely ever get notifications), and wiped all my watched items. I'm done with this rat race. I'll buy my stuff elsewhere from now on (and not Amazon!!). Newegg, although a tad less reputable then they used to be, or etsy or whatever the hell. I'm not chasing after this stuff anymore. I'm too ooooooold. I have enough to keep me busy for a long time, and there's always the swap meet. For as long as I live in New Jersey.

On a happier note I found my Antec p/s but not my Seasonic, yet. Damned things like to play hide and seek.

Reply 30 of 39, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok boards work. That Rosewill was too big for those tiny boards, that is it required more current draw then the boards needed to turn on.

Re: Rosewill Hercules 1600 watt power unit

Thanks for all the input.

Reply 31 of 39, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The question now is how long can I get by with 4gb of ram.

I saw Tomb Raider 1 for the first time last night. So stupid. Daniel Craig must have been in his teens. Jumped up l'il s<>t.

Reply 32 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-15, 07:39:

Ok boards work.

You mean the 34 lga2011 motherboards you bought from some obscure chinese manufacturer all work now?

EDIT:

chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-15, 07:37:
Great call. This apparently was the problem. All 4 worked. I was apprehensive about firing up the 4th board, a pin or two seemed […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2022-03-12, 13:05:

Just a thought, but is it possible that this PSU requires a minimum load to be present in order to work properly and the board you are testing with is not "hungry" enough ?

EDIT : Maybe this could be relevant http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuunderload/mincurrent.html

Great call. This apparently was the problem. All 4 worked. I was apprehensive about firing up the 4th board, a pin or two seemed questionable, but not so much from the angle I was looking at. So I said screw it. And all is fine.

Of course now the usb 3 issues will plague me. Maybe I can scrounge a cheap x1 pci-e card. Whatever.

Thanks for all the input.

So they were working all along, well that's good news at least.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 34 of 39, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for future reference, although it seems highly unlikely a 2011 cpu could be plugged in upside down, if one managed, would something be fried? Or would the socket be destroyed? I sharexd earlier I thought it did thid, but I think I was jumping the gun.

Reply 35 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-20, 17:31:

It was 4 boards. Less then 80$ for all. Vot a deal.

Nice indeed.

Report spammers here!

Reply 36 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-20, 21:01:

Just for future reference, although it seems highly unlikely a 2011 cpu could be plugged in upside down, if one managed, would something be fried? Or would the socket be destroyed? I sharexd earlier I thought it did thid, but I think I was jumping the gun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom_cloud# … _Bravo_test.jpg

So better don't try to install it upside down.

Report spammers here!

Reply 38 of 39, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now the other.remotely related question I'd lime to ask is what's the possibility of a motherboard fully functioning with 1 or more broken socket pins. In the modern era, say lga1151?

Reply 39 of 39, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would depend on which pins. 😀 ground or power pins... will probably still work, ram pins... high chance of no boot due to no memory access, pcie pins... etc.

Do not ask Why !