Common searches

Why did they rush Windows 11?

Topic actions

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I get several discussion on why Microsoft rushed a Windows 11 release, but what baffles me the most is that they didn't bother to change websites for Windows 11. Like look at the attachment, Windows 11 takes you to a Windows 10 site lmao.

Attachments

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 72, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because Windows 11 is Windows 10 or did you think they just made an brand new OS >?

They are one and the same and what applies to 10 also applies to 11, there is no need to update web sites for knowledge bases due to the fact they are the same OS.

So they didn't rush Win11 they just did a normal yearly feature update to Win10 and called it Windows 11. (Why? because the update came with some brand new features and security updates and it was big enough of an update to warrant a new name)

I guess they could have called it Windows 10 SP3 and it would have been just as appropriate.

Reply 2 of 72, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 11 is basically Windows 10 with a big annual update that screws up a lot of privacy options and sets up in-OS advertising in a way that would probably be too legally hairy to enforce without changing the product's name. The only tangible benefit is the new task scheduler if you have one of those stupd BIG/small ADL CPUs, which, in all honesty, why the fuck would anybody buy for a desktop?

I use Windows 10 daily and regret switching from 7. I doubt I will ever switch to Windows 11. It will be just another Windows version I never used.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 72, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-18, 08:16:

Windows 11 is basically Windows 10 with a big annual update that screws up a lot of privacy options and sets up in-OS advertising in a way that would probably be too legally hairy to enforce without changing the product's name. The only tangible benefit is the new task scheduler if you have one of those stupd BIG/small ADL CPUs, which, in all honesty, why the fuck would anybody buy for a desktop?

I use Windows 10 daily and regret switching from 7. I doubt I will ever switch to Windows 11. It will be just another Windows version I never used.

I use 11 on my Gaming PC since there isn't much point in having a 3080ti on a Windows 7 PC and while 10 does support the 3080ti I couldn't be arsed stopping the update since its just a gaming machine and forcing it to not update was more work that I was willing to put effort into, the work machine is running Win10 Pro for Workstations and it doesnt update unless I let it so it'll be Win10 till it doesnt do what I need it to anymore and then it'll likely be some flavour of Linux with VMs running on it.

Windows 7 was nice but it too will soon be like XP/Vista and be only useful for retro machines that dont have full access to the Internet, there is far to much screwy shit happening with websites and scams to take an older OS on line with.

As for advertising on Windows 11 ...what advertising ?

no adds on my gaming pc at all .. not even in the start menu ...oh wait I got rid of the windows 11 start menu ..!!!

Reply 4 of 72, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-18, 08:42:

As for advertising on Windows 11 ...what advertising ?

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/15/22979251/m … dows-11-testing

Reply 5 of 72, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-18, 09:01:

People still use the Windows default file explorer ?

For everyway MS fucks windows there is a way to unfuck it, is it a little bit of work . .sure, but if you hate adds and other unwanted crap then you can get rid of it easy enough, again its only worth it I guess if you need the support that Windows 10/11 provide for modern hardware, if you can exist on windows 7 then you have a solution 😁

The underlying OS is good once you remove/replace all the MS junk.

Reply 6 of 72, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-18, 09:12:
People still use the Windows default file explorer ? […]
Show full quote

For everyway MS fucks windows there is a way to unfuck it, is it a little bit of work . .sure, but if you hate adds and other unwanted crap then you can get rid of it easy enough, again its only worth it I guess if you need the support that Windows 10/11 provide for modern hardware, if you can exist on windows 7 then you have a solution 😁

I don't know. For me since 10 Windows became absolutely un-unfuckable to the point that I just gave up on it.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 7 of 72, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

11 wasn't just incomplete but it's pretty broken for me too. Idk how but Safe Mode doesn't work, instead I get the following:

Attachments

Reply 8 of 72, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

The file explorer is absolutely not a part of Windows 11 that you can remove or ignore. And if I will replace everything in an OS aside from the fucking kernel then please remember that there are OSs out there with WAY BETTER kernels than Windows and that defeats the whole value proposition that Windows has; that it is a hassle-free and convenient desktop OS. At this point I would personally just install and use Linux or FreeBSD.

Reply 9 of 72, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is as rushed as everything else nowadays, software became more of a service than a product for a while now. This by itself is not a bad thing as it allows for more maintainable an secure software, but of course this isn’t the case.
Thanks to capitalism, the focus on anything produced by men must be profit above anything else. Right now the profit for technology companies comes from showing ads. Not just any ads, but ads directed to the right people. And to be able to know the right people those companies need our data.
Unfortunately the trend for software is, including for OSs, to become cheaper/free but in turn become a platform for selling you stuff and record your every move, this will be priority over anything else. Things like minor bugs and annoyances will be fixed “sometime in the future”.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 11 of 72, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 11 is Windows 10 with a bunch of experimental stuff put into the OS as "new features". I'm not entirely sure why they released it in short order to replace 10, but it certainly wasn't necessary since Windows 10 is still very much a continuously evolving piece of software, unlike it's predecessors. I suppose they did it simply to say "Hey, we're doing something!" instead of being mostly stagnant like Apple is with their software. That being said, Windows 11 should have been held over a few more years, to allow the tech that Windows 10 has to fully mature and to allow the hardware market to stabilize with the new features as well. Things like HDR have been in "beta" for several years now and have shown no signs of getting close to being worked out, because HDR displays are largely unavailable outside of the TV market and haven't been integrated into OEM laptops from Dell, HP, and the other players. In many ways, the PC industry is still stuck on hardware/software from 2016/earlier and hasn't advanced as it should have, given the tech and ideas now in play.

Reply 12 of 72, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gaffa2002 wrote on 2022-03-18, 12:49:

It is as rushed as everything else nowadays, software became more of a service than a product for a while now. This by itself is not a bad thing as it allows for more maintainable an secure software, but of course this isn’t the case.
Thanks to capitalism, the focus on anything produced by men must be profit above anything else. Right now the profit for technology companies comes from showing ads. Not just any ads, but ads directed to the right people. And to be able to know the right people those companies need our data.
Unfortunately the trend for software is, including for OSs, to become cheaper/free but in turn become a platform for selling you stuff and record your every move, this will be priority over anything else. Things like minor bugs and annoyances will be fixed “sometime in the future”.

I don't think that it is fair to blame capitalism. It is the modern world of connectivity and the perils that come with having so much information readily available because of that.
Operating systems can't remain static because NOTHING is static at this point. How often does code have to be patched to be secure? How often does your browser update, graphics drivers? Game updates? Workstation updates to office productivity software?

It isn't just Windows/MacOS/Linux whatever the case and pick your flavor. It is the entire ecosystem. The world today isn't the same as it was 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago. We have to run as fast as we can to stay in the same place.

Reply 13 of 72, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-03-18, 15:48:

It isn't just Windows/MacOS/Linux whatever the case and pick your flavor. It is the entire ecosystem. The world today isn't the same as it was 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago. We have to run as fast as we can to stay in the same place.

So like running on a treadmill. The question then is whether we are running as fast as we can to stop from going backwards in functionality?

Reply 14 of 72, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the3dfxdude wrote on 2022-03-18, 17:27:
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-03-18, 15:48:

So like running on a treadmill. The question then is whether we are running as fast as we can to stop from going backwards in functionality?

I see what happening is that they are going forward fast but fast has made going backwards more prevalent.

Reply 15 of 72, by SolidSonicTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why did they rush Windows 10?

Don't you remember the "Something happened" error that could occur when trying to install it?

1*Rjh0ZDqJIz5vPaJguQ_kAA.jpeg

This "test in production" mentality where no one has time to find errors so they expect the users to tell them what's wrong then fix them after the fact is just ridiculous. And I'd probably consider myself a Windows apologist so when they do something wrong that I have to call out it's pretty bad.

Reply 16 of 72, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The massive 'entropy' (read: number of possible states) present in broad-scale modern software is staggering. Just compare the numbers of lines of code in a large 1995 program compared with a large 2020 one. (then, for extra laughs, add "permanent network connection to the entire world" into that complexity). It became humanly impossible to release such things in even a near-perfect state, quite some time ago.

Reply 17 of 72, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-18, 11:05:
Show full quote

The file explorer is absolutely not a part of Windows 11 that you can remove or ignore. And if I will replace everything in an OS aside from the fucking kernel then please remember that there are OSs out there with WAY BETTER kernels than Windows and that defeats the whole value proposition that Windows has; that it is a hassle-free and convenient desktop OS. At this point I would personally just install and use Linux or FreeBSD.

I didn't do either I replaced it instead, I dont ever see the default file explorer much like I dont ever see the default start menu or taskbar as far as I know they rotting on the SSD somewhere from lack of use. So before getting angry like you come across (I hope im wrong) as pick the issue you have with Win11 and nuke it from orbit using one of the many many tools out there because convenient and hassle free doesnt mean perfect without faults.

As for better kernels . .thats subjective and here is no place for that argument. (Mostly because Linux people scare me with their ..uhh fervour)

Reply 18 of 72, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-03-18, 21:21:

The massive 'entropy' (read: number of possible states) present in broad-scale modern software is staggering. Just compare the numbers of lines of code in a large 1995 program compared with a large 2020 one. (then, for extra laughs, add "permanent network connection to the entire world" into that complexity). It became humanly impossible to release such things in even a near-perfect state, quite some time ago.

I wish more people understood this and just how damn frustrating it is for the developers.

Reply 19 of 72, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-03-18, 09:32:

11 wasn't just incomplete but it's pretty broken for me too. Idk how but Safe Mode doesn't work, instead I get the following:

did you try turning it off and then on again ?

that tends to fix Windows, it doesnt like the dark.