VOGONS

Common searches

Anyone want to bet if this sells :)

Topic actions

First post, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like looking through eBay listings (who doesn't) but I look far more than I buy. I came across this one several weeks ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254689148465

This is the absolute worst condition computer I've ever seen on eBay! It looks like it was pulled from an outdoor scrap pile. For me shipping is $85. I might pay $15 total for the thing.

Have you seen anything worse?

Reply 2 of 25, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen worse. Just a couple of months ago I've seen one which looked like it came from a house fire.

As for this one, I think there are people who'd take a chance with it for the right price, but this is probably not the right price.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 25, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Btw., it costs 85 bucks to ship a desktop from California to the midwest, are you sure?
John Oliver just explained that your truck drivers earn next to fuck all.

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 25, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ugh, a 286 computer in such horrid condition. 😳

Perphaps someone will buy it for restoration but not at that price range especially when there are similary priced ones in better conditions.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 25, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-04-08, 14:44:

Wow! That poor system looks like something very heavy landed on it. And that price is outrageous and insulting.

Well, there's that button where you can "make an offer". Like, offering positive feedback if he pays for disposal out of his own pocket, maybe.
Think it's a cry for help.

I like jumpers.

Reply 8 of 25, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-08, 15:24:

But it's old!
So it must be worth a lot!

Yes, exactly like with lettuce, newspapers and hookers!

Apropos bold offers:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/203899609434

Description say "water damage" but it looks more like it had a surprise encounter with a hungry rancor. In a vulcano.

I like jumpers.

Reply 9 of 25, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-08, 14:06:

Btw., it costs 85 bucks to ship a desktop from California to the midwest, are you sure?
John Oliver just explained that your truck drivers earn next to fuck all.

Yes, that's the quote eBay is giving me.

I just heard this morning that new Wal-mart truck drivers will start somewhere around $100K, so what John Oliver said may no longer be true.

Reply 10 of 25, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-08, 15:30:
Yes, exactly like with lettuce, newspapers and hookers! […]
Show full quote
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-08, 15:24:

But it's old!
So it must be worth a lot!

Yes, exactly like with lettuce, newspapers and hookers!

Apropos bold offers:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/203899609434

Description say "water damage" but it looks more like it had a surprise encounter with a hungry rancor. In a vulcano.

The bottom photo shows definite evidence of corrosion on the card edge. I don't know if I'd pay a total of 1 euro for that.

Reply 14 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think I ever seen worse than this PC. I once found a (half a) PC that seemed to have been pulled out of a ditch (it was wet and had lots of still fresh branches with brown leafs and actual mud) but that one at least seemed like it had been laying in there only very briefly.
It's not uncommon to find (that is, IF you find a PC outside here in The Netherlands) a PC sitting in the rain. But even that ditch PC didn't look this bad tbh.

It's heavily corroded, the screws look so badly corroded it might not be possible to demount the motherboard anymore using a screwdriver, the PSU is so heavily corroded I can't even read the label anymore 🤣, the cover is dented in multiple places and in some places looks like it doesn't even belong to that chassis. I can imagine me trying to lift this PC up and the whole computer sliding out, falling out of the metal cover. It's covered with spiderwebs, making it look like it either sat in a barn for years or maybe even outside. My guess is a barn since it looks like stuff was stacked or thrown on top of it and I see relatively little yellowing.
The premise that this 'PC' is supposedly able to run seems laughable at first when even some of the chips on the insides look corroded.

On the front side I can see bare PCB with lots of solder dots (because the front cover is missing) and the 2 floppy drives seem like they are laying inside the 5.25in external drive bay cavity unmounted. The way the front cover is broken off and the rest of the cover and chassis look dented make it seem plausible this PC was very much so improperly handled.
On the back it seems that every bit of unpainted metal has corroded, including the air intake and all expansion brackets. The case is very badly bend, from this angle I wouldn't even know for sure if the cover belongs to that PC. From the front this is more apparent but entire front panel broke off and is missing.

I'm not sure how this lot would be worth $150 unless the dollar has tanked massively the last few days without me knowing. Perhaps if the 5.25in floppy drives still work, which may be the case. The system itself, well if it works it will take some serious restauration efforts to fix the case. Perhaps even an anvil to hammer it back into shape 😜
The insides may be in a somewhat ok state actually? Depending on the level of corrosion of course, including that of any battery.

Perhaps for some brave adventurer with expendable cash may want this for some reason. I mean I'm mostly looking at the 2 5.25in FDDs and the harddrive might look nice in a display or something.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-08, 16:12:
konc wrote on 2022-04-08, 16:08:

"Power on and runs" 😂

If wearing somewhat inflammable clothes, I'd run for sure, just to be safe.

I'm not sure if I would want to turn that PC on. It seems honestly like this might endanger my life 🤣.
And I'm not even kidding.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 25, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a pair of 5.25" drives that came to me in similar condition. It looked like they had been left out in the rain. Yes, I did try powering one on (after thorough cleaning) and it blew up in a puff of smoke. I didn't bother testing the other one (which was in even worse condition.)

eesz34 wrote on 2022-04-08, 13:55:

I like looking through eBay listings (who doesn't) but I look far more than I buy. I came across this one several weeks ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254689148465

The front bezel is missing, looks like it was wrenched off. That's a shame because it makes it impossible to identify the OEM. It would be interesting to see how it looked when new.

Is this too much voodoo?