VOGONS

Common searches

HUGE collection for sale on eBay

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't been following the Computer Reset story too deeply. I know LGR and i think 8BitGuy got a tour of the place. Wasn't it generally closed off to everyone but a small number of collectors in the end?

Reply 22 of 35, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pete8475 wrote on 2022-04-20, 03:43:

I bet there's some treasure in there but I also see some weird stuff like the stacks and stacks of hard drive platters.

*Deep inside one of those dusty bins: An entire missing shipment of GUS cards*

Reply 24 of 35, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FioGermi wrote on 2022-04-20, 03:07:

I haven't been following the Computer Reset story too deeply. I know LGR and i think 8BitGuy got a tour of the place. Wasn't it generally closed off to everyone but a small number of collectors in the end?

I believe anyone could get an appointment to walk through the place and buy whatever they found.

Reply 25 of 35, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FioGermi wrote on 2022-04-20, 04:04:

I bet there's some treasure in there but I also see some weird stuff like the stacks and stacks of hard drive platters.

🤣

Voodoo 5500s?

IBM Enhanced Keyboard?

I like jumpers.

Reply 26 of 35, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-20, 13:24:
lol […]
Show full quote

🤣

Voodoo 5500s?

IBM Enhanced Keyboard?

100 old networking cards ...? 🙁

Reply 27 of 35, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2022-04-20, 13:49:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-20, 13:24:
lol […]
Show full quote

🤣

Voodoo 5500s?

IBM Enhanced Keyboard?

100 old networking cards ...? 🙁

Oh well, have you priced those lately?

Just in case, we're still looking for the Amber Room!

I like jumpers.

Reply 30 of 35, by happycube

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Free Geek Twin Cities - https://www.freegeektwincities.org/

I never made it to CR, but my housemate would have (rightfully!) been... displeased... if I went from CA, let alone pick up half as much stuff. But I think 3-4 of each era someone's interested in makes sense, especially given the conditions in the warehouse where just one of something can't be expected to work!

IMO's:
- I could go for some PPro hardware myself, but at CR and not eBay prices 😉
- You can hoard more SFF's and thin clients than desktops.
- I'm pretty sure none of that rack HW would be considered usable by most of r/homelab.
- Old HD's are generally ewaste unless you're looking to data mine them or something, or really want to be period-appropriate, and in that case they don't have nearly enough of the next item:
- Good quality CRT's are going to be increasingly difficult to find in the wild.

Reply 31 of 35, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
happycube wrote on 2022-04-21, 14:45:
Free Geek Twin Cities - https://www.freegeektwincities.org/ […]
Show full quote

Free Geek Twin Cities - https://www.freegeektwincities.org/

I never made it to CR, but my housemate would have (rightfully!) been... displeased... if I went from CA, let alone pick up half as much stuff. But I think 3-4 of each era someone's interested in makes sense, especially given the conditions in the warehouse where just one of something can't be expected to work!

IMO's:
- I could go for some PPro hardware myself, but at CR and not eBay prices 😉
- You can hoard more SFF's and thin clients than desktops.
- I'm pretty sure none of that rack HW would be considered usable by most of r/homelab.
- Old HD's are generally ewaste unless you're looking to data mine them or something, or really want to be period-appropriate, and in that case they don't have nearly enough of the next item:
- Good quality CRT's are going to be increasingly difficult to find in the wild.

No way, Free Geek Twin Cities got this stuff? I might have to find out where this place is.

Reply 32 of 35, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like my garage too.

You guys are too funny 😀

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-04-22, 10:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 35, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eesz34 wrote on 2022-04-20, 12:28:

I believe anyone could get an appointment to walk through the place and buy whatever they found.

Afaik they sold you a ticket for $200 and you could take as much as you could carry.
So this guy rented a truck, stuffed it with hardware and is now trying to make more than $9000 profit.
Shame on this person!

Reply 34 of 35, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-22, 01:28:
Afaik they sold you a ticket for $200 and you could take as much as you could carry. So this guy rented a truck, stuffed it with […]
Show full quote
eesz34 wrote on 2022-04-20, 12:28:

Afaik they sold you a ticket for $200 and you could take as much as you could carry.
So this guy rented a truck, stuffed it with hardware and is now trying to make more than $9000 profit.
Shame on this person!

my guess is that it won't sell, at least not for listed price but maybe for a lower offer

if he did get a truck full for $200 and the seller was ok with that then i suppose its ok

Reply 35 of 35, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now is my cynicism's time to shine!

Someone went into Computer Reset and made out with a literal lorry load of computers knowing that they could flip 99% of it in a year's time when CR was closing up properly or all the good stuff is gone. It's like scalping PS5s but for PS/2s HAHAHA christ I'm lonely

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC