Common searches

I miss the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s

Topic actions

Reply 161 of 202, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I really miss the 1990’s sometimes.
All those Beige computer cases.
70’s, 80’s , and 90’s rock music.
All the shopping malls and stores from those days.

It was a carefree time in California.
Relaxed and easy going.
What you did not do today you could do next week.
There was NO rush on things.
It’s NOT like people were worried the World was going to end tomorrow.
You could always do it Next month.

Those old computers and CRT’s were the Best.

Attachments

Reply 164 of 202, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2022-06-24, 10:55:

GAH! The MS natural keyboard! The horror!

Once you're getting old (25 and up) and develop tendonitis, you'll learn to value it. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 166 of 202, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2022-06-24, 15:27:

What? 25 is old? I'm almost 40 and I feel better than when I was 25.

But I dunno I just always just hated any non standard keyboards. 😀

25 is fully grown up in brain terms and 40 is the end of youth (in some physical ways)

i can't imagine a 25 years old looking back on this period in 25 years from now with the same affectionate nostalgia as people look back on the 90's and before - and yet it will probably be that way!

maybe keyboards themselves will be objects of nostalgia, doubt it though - some techs just persist and persist

Reply 167 of 202, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The tactile feeling of a mouse or keyboard is hard to beat. Or that is what I like to think.

It is disturbing for me to watch my daughter play Minecraft on her iPad without a controller. It is madness, I say!

Reply 168 of 202, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-06-24, 14:15:

Once you're getting old (25 and up) and develop tendonitis, you'll learn to value it. 😁

That's still pretty young, but I'd admit some people do develop tendonitis, and some people did like the feel of the MS Natural Keyboard. But I prefer the Model M instead.

Reply 170 of 202, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
treeman wrote on 2022-06-29, 00:04:

I feel like I became fully grown up at around 37 and im 39 now so basically starting being a adult now

Cool! What I said wasn't meant 100% serious, also. My father used to say that real life starts after 30.
Which isn't exactly wrong or wasn't exactly wrong at his time, either.
I merely was making fun because of today's perspective of things:
Back in school, we used to make fun of our teachers, which were 30+ (we weren't serious).
- Back then, we pupils always joked about being 30 an old age. I think that's still a thing. 😁
Unfortunately, today's society is pervertedly obessed with youth and being young.
Back in the 60s/70s/80s, 50 was the new 30 or so. Which is ironic, because people then had a young personality even at age 60.
Computer magazines and science fiction stories always described persons in their 30-40s as being young.
Nowadays, you're considered as being some sort of a relic once you're past 21 or so.
That shows how old/limited today's socity's mindset is. People that have an physical age of 19 do talk as if they were at age 60/70. *sigh*
Kind reminds me of the attitude shown in the classic movie/film "Logan's run". 🙄

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 171 of 202, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the3dfxdude wrote on 2022-06-28, 18:27:
Jo22 wrote on 2022-06-24, 14:15:

That's still pretty young, but I'd admit some people do develop tendonitis, and some people did like the feel of the MS Natural Keyboard. But I prefer the Model M instead.

I'm 45 and I have been a computer attached desk jockey for over 25 years. During this time, I have used various classically layed out keyboards and my tendons still work fine. I have always paid attention to having proper posture and desk (and keyboard shelf) height.

IMHO, the MS "Natural" Keyboard is about as natural and wholesome as a cocktail of Cherry Coke, Agent Orange and Demerol (with perhaps a hint of drain cleaner, for taste). Of course, everyone's mileage will vary, so great if it works for you, but it is definitely not for me .

Reply 172 of 202, by Bendejo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Arcades. Like going to the place and playing with other people. The anticipation of what games they are gonna have. Or even convenient stores having them.
Computers from the 90s. I was going to school so we always had macs! But even later on our family got an awesome Pentium MMX!
Video game manuals, they are sorely missing from today. I played Cyber Punk 2077 recently and I desperately wanted a 100+ page manual. There is so much in that game, tutorials cant cover everything. I remember playing Fallout in 98 and loving to read that 100 page manual and learning more about the game.

Reply 173 of 202, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-08-29, 19:33:

Back in the 60s/70s/80s, 50 was the new 30 or so. Which is ironic, because people then had a young personality even at age 60.
Computer magazines and science fiction stories always described persons in their 30-40s as being young.

That's what I find interesting in old movies. People could get leading roles in action focused movies in their late forties and fifties. Fighting their fights, getting the girl (half their age). Now it's only if the movie's quirk is the "retiree action hero" and no getting the girl allowed. Not that I can't relate to young action heroes, if anything they are exactly my age group. But these older movies sometimes makes you feel like you aren't a proper adult until you are out of your twenties while for recent ones past 40 is elderly unless you don't look like your age.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 174 of 202, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That Hagen Girl. Old Ronald Reagan movie where the plot revolves around whether Shirley Temple is or isn't his daughter. When it's finally proved she isn't, they get married. Controversial even back in the day - imagine making such a movie today.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 175 of 202, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-08-30, 05:18:
Jo22 wrote on 2022-08-29, 19:33:

That's what I find interesting in old movies. People could get leading roles in action focused movies in their late forties and fifties. Fighting their fights, getting the girl (half their age). Now it's only if the movie's quirk is the "retiree action hero" and no getting the girl allowed. Not that I can't relate to young action heroes, if anything they are exactly my age group. But these older movies sometimes makes you feel like you aren't a proper adult until you are out of your twenties while for recent ones past 40 is elderly unless you don't look like your age.

older movies tended not to concern themselves with 'realism' so much

a lot of much older movies have a theatre style dialog and voice acting style for instance

i doubt that sitting in a car with the background wobbling was really the absolute best that could be achieved for simulating driving, but it got the message across without needing to be literal

the star can 'get the girl' without worrying about age differences, just the plot

fights can be won with a stoic face and some dubiously choreographed fists even if the actor would almost certainly lose

strength is represented through the jutting of chin and onscreen size, even though the audience can see the guy may never have done much exercise

in some ways old films expected more 'understanding' and 'acceptance' of the film as illusion, a bit like the audience of a theatre play will suspend disbelief when the the 'mountains' are carried off between acts

it's part of why younger audiences sometimes find older movies strange, i don't blame them - movies have changed a lot. there are great modern and old movies out there though

Reply 176 of 202, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2022-08-30, 16:00:

strength is represented through the jutting of chin and onscreen size, even though the audience can see the guy may never have done much exercise

I don't know about that. Some of those old time actors were pretty well built too. Only not like a juiced up competitive bodybuilder on stage. People often forget that Sir Sean Connery was also a golden era bodybuilder before he got into filming, though not a very successful one. Around the same time as Steve Reeves who also got into acting. If you look at how combat sportsmen look like, those old time actors were much more believable than the bodybuilder types of the 80s and today. Just look at Anderson Silva. He looks like an average guy, even skinnyfat at times. I'm more built than him and he would take my head clean of before I could fart. Interestingly those realistic types had a comeback in the 90s and early 2000s before the comic book movie plague.

Though it is true, regarding choreography, old movies with their super-telegraphed punches and kicks were sometimes ridiculous. But regarding on-screen size, bigger is usually stronger with better reach. That's why there are weight classes in combat sports.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 177 of 202, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's silly, though - society and socalled experts are overacting nowadays.
By making people believe again and again that they're old at a certain age does harm them.
That brain washing causes them to actually age, because both mind and body do adjust according to the expectation (on a longer term).
It's related to the socalled No-Cebo effect. If you make people think they have a deadly illness, they may actually start feeling bad or even die at some point.
That's really sad, actually. Doctors and experts underestimate the power of mind. They just slowly re-learn that mind and body form a unity.

//My video channel//

Reply 178 of 202, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I miss the 90's more than anything - most of my memories and games are from 90's.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 179 of 202, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-08-30, 19:18:
gerry wrote on 2022-08-30, 16:00:

I don't know about that. Some of those old time actors were pretty well built too. Only not like a juiced up competitive bodybuilder on stage. People often forget that Sir Sean Connery was also a golden era bodybuilder before he got into filming, though not a very successful one. Around the same time as Steve Reeves who also got into acting. If you look at how combat sportsmen look like, those old time actors were much more believable than the bodybuilder types of the 80s and today. Just look at Anderson Silva. He looks like an average guy, even skinnyfat at times. I'm more built than him and he would take my head clean of before I could fart. Interestingly those realistic types had a comeback in the 90s and early 2000s before the comic book movie plague.

Though it is true, regarding choreography, old movies with their super-telegraphed punches and kicks were sometimes ridiculous. But regarding on-screen size, bigger is usually stronger with better reach. That's why there are weight classes in combat sports.

all good points, i was thinking more of the 'big and fat' = tough in older movies, but right to point out that even way back there were more realistic depictions too

and perhaps examples like Victor Mature, definitely a big guy and probably strong but would not get those roles now - as they'd pass to a more obviously muscular / bodybuilder look

Jo22 wrote on 2022-09-01, 00:25:
What's silly, though - society and socalled experts are overacting nowadays. By making people believe again and again that they' […]
Show full quote

What's silly, though - society and socalled experts are overacting nowadays.
By making people believe again and again that they're old at a certain age does harm them.
That brain washing causes them to actually age, because both mind and body do adjust according to the expectation (on a longer term).
It's related to the socalled No-Cebo effect. If you make people think they have a deadly illness, they may actually start feeling bad or even die at some point.
That's really sad, actually. Doctors and experts underestimate the power of mind. They just slowly re-learn that mind and body form a unity.

although i think it's a mixed message - 40 is the new whatever, dating apps for over 50's, fitness guidelines for over 60's and so on - such 'older' age groups wouldn't have been highlighted in the past, especially for things like this. Perhaps because no one "segmented the market" in such an age categorical way, which seems a better / kinder way to be honest