VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my first post on the forums, I chose Milliways because it says «random banter», so it feels appropriate. English is not my main language, if you find any quirks, I apologize in advanced.

My plan was more or less like this: I'm very interested in Covox sound, so I decided to order a few PCBs for Necroware's Silly Sound Bastard. I also have a tiny VIA Artigo A1000, the fanless version with a 500 MHz processor and a maximum supported memory of 512 MB. For some reason, VIA only offered support for XP and WinCE, but all I want is a little DOS box chirping sounds through LPT, so, no worries. I grabbed the Artigo from the shelf, and... yeah. No.

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
23.5 KiB
Views
File comment
Taken from eBay
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Artigo A1000 doesn't have an LPT port. Back to the shelf, then. «Plan B» throws the little DOS box aspect out of the window: I still have an old Compaq PC, Athlon 64 X2, DDR2, and the rest. This is the point when I said to myself: «Okay, I'll just put a hard drive with Windows 7, and a little 8 GB SSD bought from only-God-knows-where with DOS 7.1 to enable FAT32. That should work, right?»

Right?

(insert Padmé-Anakin meme here)

02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
69.46 KiB
Views
File comment
Taken from HP site
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Compaq in question uses the A8M2N-LA... and it doesn't have an LPT port. Again. So, I'm 0 for 2. One half of my brain wants to throw the dice and buy at least one PCI card with some DOS support that won't explode on my face, forget the Covox and call it a day. The other half wants to find a half-dead socket 7 system with an ISA slot and a real, physical, not «Mandela-Effect-imagined» LPT port, and revive it. What do you think?

Reply 2 of 7, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want small VIA based PC with LPT port then Wyse Vx0 Thin Client (V90 is Windows XP based) may be a good choice.
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/vx0/. They have "normal" award BIOS, so I think DOS is doable.

(edit typo)

Last edited by zyga64 on 2022-06-16, 15:28. Edited 2 times in total.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 3 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same. Both solutions should be fine.

Thin Clients do usually have classic ports, because the installed software is aweful.

Stuff like Windows CE or some outdated embedded Linux don't have proper drivers.

Thus, the hardware has to be very compatible. It has to compensate for the software.
That way, standard drivers from the DOS era still work.

The idea with the LPT card is also good.
I *think* there are some PCIe versions, too, tthat use a PCI/PCIe bridge chip.
That works quite easily, because PCIe looks like PCI software.
Otherwise, Windows 98SE wouldn't run on a PC from the 2010s, at all.

Edit: The same goes COM port cards..
*If* they have DOS support software, they can be even better than the usual stuff.
Because, they may be compatible to newer standards and have implemented higher speeds that can be unlocked.

Also, dedicated solutions are often better than integrated circuits.
Because they only have one purpose that they provide dutifully, without any sacrifices.
Let's look at the massive chip on the StarTech card.. A super i/o chip on an old motherboard is roughly 5 times smaller and has much more components integrated.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you still want a thin client look for a HP ThinClient T5710 or something like that. It has a parallel port. Got mine pretty cheap a couple of weeks ago so it may be even cheaper then buying a parallel port card.

Reply 5 of 7, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Plasma wrote on 2022-06-15, 03:55:

You can buy PCI parallel port cards. StarTech PCI1PM will work in DOS. It's been discontinued but you can find them on ebay.

I thought those cards didn't work on DOS, but I've found one or two locally with drivers available (not the exact model you mention, but...)

zyga64 wrote on 2022-06-15, 06:28:

If you want small VIA based PC with LPT port then Wyse Vx0 Thin Client (V90 is Windows XP based) may be a good choice.
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/vx0/. They have "normal" award BIOS, so I think DOS is doable.

I... forgot about those! All I've found so far is a Wyse X150se (I'm not in the US), and it has a parallel port. Maybe I should try both things at the same time. Thanks, everyone!

Reply 6 of 7, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ethaniel wrote on 2022-06-17, 00:08:
Plasma wrote on 2022-06-15, 03:55:

You can buy PCI parallel port cards. StarTech PCI1PM will work in DOS. It's been discontinued but you can find them on ebay.

I thought those cards didn't work on DOS, but I've found one or two locally with drivers available (not the exact model you mention, but...)

Ideally you want a card with a remapabble legacy address (278h, 378h, 3BCh) which are easy to spot because they have jumpers/switches. Then no drivers are required and it works just like an onboard or ISA parallel port.

Otherwise the address will be some random PNP assignment from the BIOS. This can still work if there is a DOS driver that is able to reconfigure the card in software, or the BIOS data area (BDA) is updated with the actual PNP address. The latter requires whatever program you are using to get the parallel port address from the BDA and not have the values hard coded (IRQ also won't work in this case, but that's not used for Covox).

Reply 7 of 7, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ethaniel wrote on 2022-06-17, 00:08:

I... forgot about those! All I've found so far is a Wyse X150se (I'm not in the US), and it has a parallel port. Maybe I should try both things at the same time. Thanks, everyone!

Unfortunately Wyse x150se is not very good choice for DOS 🙁. It doesn't have normal BIOS (only custom one-screener where you can choose boot device), and I failed to install Windows 95/98 on it.
However OpenWRT with LTE USB stick is working great 😉

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA