Common searches

Is gaming a waste of time?

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 49, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@ThinkerpadIL The ages you name are far too late. They were true for the mid 20th century, likely.
To leave a lasting experience, kids must be introduced much earlier to this, I believe.
It's as with all the other obscure hobbys tzese days.
If they see it past age 10 first, there's a risk they can't develop affection for it anymore.
Unless the kids are very open and curious by nature still at the age (exceptions always ocvur).

Personally, I've used 8-Bit homecomputers at an age of 6 in the 90s. Loaded/saved data all on my own using Basic and datasette.
Wrote little IF.. THEN loops, lots of INPUT and PRINT, too.

Also played with electronics constructions sets, after "reading" the manuals.
Successfully, by the way. Made my own elevtro magnets and as a highlight, a working electro motor (shocked my dad!).
The reading part was tricky sometimes, because my vocabulary (word book) was still in early development.
Oh, and I didn't know the order of the ABC.
All letters, but not the order.

At age 7, I've tinkered with my first 286, used DOS commands and wrote stuff in QB45/Visual Basic.
And used my father's soldering iron.

Anyway, no offense. It's not about intelligence or something. Otherwise, I hadn't been successful. 😉
Personally, I think it's more about different times.
Maybe it peaked in the 90s/early 2000s, not sure.
Back then, we technically had all the technology and information access, but not 24/7 yet.

Because, my younger sister totally overtook my father and me.
We talked about politics with ther at age 4. I'm not kidding.
Well, except for saying "sister". She was acting more like a boy. Kind of made me proud, as a brother.
She also had a little speech defect. She did tend to lisp at times.

Hm. I suppose it's just that children from the 70s onwards had more and more cerebral stimulation than before.
TV, Radio, colorful books, then early online services (accessible for free in the cities, for demonstration purposes:
postal offices, stores, libraries , computer encyclopedia etc.

Children in the 1960s weren't provided with this yet. Unless they had a loving family that supported them/spent time with them and provided them with access to information
or discussed politics with them early on.

My own father was such a child, I think.
He had a caring grandfather that spent a lot of time with him (for its era),
provided him with educational toys (various experimenters kits. Electronics, Crystals, Radio, Mechanics).
That accelerated his mental development.

Edit: I think that forced education isn't good. Kids must have their freedom, must explore, must dream.
If they are being helped in puzzle solving without their request, they'll stop solving things their own way.
They won't search any further, accept the parents solution as the only possibility.
That's really important to understand, I think.

Edit: Oh, and please make them watch Curiosity Show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OsF_sHMH4E

It was such a wonderful show for children, I think.
The moderators were friendly and took the kids seriously.

Another, more cartoony approach was "Discoveries Unlimited".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHByLgfAKbU

To me this style was the essence of an innocenct and bright childhood, as seen from the 1980s+.
Things were colorful, optimistic, but never dumped down. Children were taken serious, seen as the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%ABmu_Iro_Iro_Yume_no_Tabi

By the way, does anybody of you remember Tao Tao? Also a cartoon?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 42 of 49, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-07-21, 09:51:

Ahaha man, I promise I mean no offense, everyone's entitled to an opinion, but that was such a bad take and it only got worse by reading more of your answers. It is so obvious that you're using two different yardsticks to compare playing games (that you admitted to not particularly like) and other hobbies that you like. You're not applying the same criteria and/or randomly making two different analysis of a similar measurement.

Calling an activity "childish" will be derogatory to a majority of people, guaranteed. So that's not a nice start. Then, so for you playing computer games is "childish". Is reading books childish? There are kids book, and adults books. You can read fiction, or you can read a history book. Are they all childish? Is watching TV childish? Only when you watch a superhero movie, but not a science documentary? Are board games childish? All of them, chess and go included?

This classification (childish vs... "adultish"?) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and I have no idea why you brought that up, except for building some kind of arbitrary and subjective "inherent worthiness of hobbies" according to you. You don't like games and look down to them, tough take on a Forum mostly comprised of people that enjoy games.

If one was to truly analyze the inherent qualities of different hobbies or time wasters, they should apply the same logic and criteria to all of them and directly compare them, which is what about everyone naturally did in answer to you. Playing games is insanely creative, interactive, and science has proven it has many cognitive interests for people of any age, from kids to old people with brain aging issues such as memory loss and lack of cerebral stimulation.

Anyway, myself will always prefer kids to be playing computers games for two hours than watch TV for the same amount of time, that's for sure.

Reply 43 of 49, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-07-21, 10:54:
@ThinkerpadIL The ages you name are far too late. They were true for the mid 20th century, likely. To leave a lasting experienc […]
Show full quote

@ThinkerpadIL The ages you name are far too late. They were true for the mid 20th century, likely.
To leave a lasting experience, kids must be introduced much earlier to this, I believe.
It's as with all the other obscure hobbys tzese days.
If they see it past age 10 first, there's a risk they can't develop affection for it anymore.
Unless the kids are very open and curious by nature still at the age (exceptions always ocvur).

Personally, I've used 8-Bit homecomputers at an age of 6 in the 90s. Loaded/saved data all on my own using Basic and datasette.
Wrote little IF.. THEN loops, lots of INPUT and PRINT, too.

Also played with electronics constructions sets, after "reading" the manuals.
Successfully, by the way. Made my own elevtro magnets and as a highlight, a working electro motor (shocked my dad!).
The reading part was tricky sometimes, because my vocabulary (word book) was still in early development.
Oh, and I didn't know the order of the ABC.
All letters, but not the order.

At age 7, I've tinkered with my first 286, used DOS commands and wrote stuff in QB45/Visual Basic.
And used my father's soldering iron.

Anyway, no offense. It's not about intelligence or something. Otherwise, I hadn't been successful. 😉
Personally, I think it's more about different times.
Maybe it peaked in the 90s/early 2000s, not sure.
Back then, we technically had all the technology and information access, but not 24/7 yet.

Because, my younger sister totally overtook my father and me.
We talked about politics with ther at age 4. I'm not kidding.
Well, except for saying "sister". She was acting more like a boy. Kind of made me proud, as a brother.
She also had a little speech defect. She did tend to lisp at times.

Hm. I suppose it's just that children from the 70s onwards had more and more cerebral stimulation than before.
TV, Radio, colorful books, then early online services (accessible for free in the cities, for demonstration purposes:
postal offices, stores, libraries , computer encyclopedia etc.

Children in the 1960s weren't provided with this yet. Unless they had a loving family that supported them/spent time with them and provided them with access to information
or discussed politics with them early on.

My own father was such a child, I think.
He had a caring grandfather that spent a lot of time with him (for its era),
provided him with educational toys (various experimenters kits. Electronics, Crystals, Radio, Mechanics).
That accelerated his mental development.

Edit: I think that forced education isn't good. Kids must have their freedom, must explore, must dream.
If they are being helped in puzzle solving without their request, they'll stop solving things their own way.
They won't search any further, accept the parents solution as the only possibility.
That's really important to understand, I think.

Edit: Oh, and please make them watch Curiosity Show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OsF_sHMH4E

It was such a wonderful show for children, I think.
The moderators were friendly and took the kids seriously.

Another, more cartoony approach was "Discoveries Unlimited".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHByLgfAKbU

To me this style was the essence of an innocenct and bright childhood, as seen from the 1980s+.
Things were colorful, optimistic, but never dumped down. Children were taken serious, seen as the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%ABmu_Iro_Iro_Yume_no_Tabi

By the way, does anybody of you remember Tao Tao? Also a cartoon?

Well, I don't think kids MUST be introduced to anything, but the same time I don't see any problem if even some 2 years old whizz kid will ask for an old piece of hardware to tinker with ... as long as there is no risk for him (or her) to receive a high voltage shock while tinkering of course.😃

Last edited by ThinkpadIL on 2022-07-21, 14:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44 of 49, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Boohyaka wrote on 2022-07-21, 11:21:
Ahaha man, I promise I mean no offense, everyone's entitled to an opinion, but that was such a bad take and it only got worse by […]
Show full quote
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-07-21, 09:51:

Ahaha man, I promise I mean no offense, everyone's entitled to an opinion, but that was such a bad take and it only got worse by reading more of your answers. It is so obvious that you're using two different yardsticks to compare playing games (that you admitted to not particularly like) and other hobbies that you like. You're not applying the same criteria and/or randomly making two different analysis of a similar measurement.

Calling an activity "childish" will be derogatory to a majority of people, guaranteed. So that's not a nice start. Then, so for you playing computer games is "childish". Is reading books childish? There are kids book, and adults books. You can read fiction, or you can read a history book. Are they all childish? Is watching TV childish? Only when you watch a superhero movie, but not a science documentary? Are board games childish? All of them, chess and go included?

This classification (childish vs... "adultish"?) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and I have no idea why you brought that up, except for building some kind of arbitrary and subjective "inherent worthiness of hobbies" according to you. You don't like games and look down to them, tough take on a Forum mostly comprised of people that enjoy games.

If one was to truly analyze the inherent qualities of different hobbies or time wasters, they should apply the same logic and criteria to all of them and directly compare them, which is what about everyone naturally did in answer to you. Playing games is insanely creative, interactive, and science has proven it has many cognitive interests for people of any age, from kids to old people with brain aging issues such as memory loss and lack of cerebral stimulation.

Anyway, myself will always prefer kids to be playing computers games for two hours than watch TV for the same amount of time, that's for sure.

Sorry for not meeting your expectations. 🙂

Reply 45 of 49, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ppl be sounding like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzWiiSNmujg

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46 of 49, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-07-22, 02:30:

+1 Absolutely accurate.

What the kids think about it, I mean.
Felt that same way when playing Atari 2600 games first time.

Took me some time to appreciate that childish stuff. 😉
When I entered my teenage years, I mean. And learned about the Atari VCS true age (it's from the funky 70s! Wahoo!) and limited features.
As a pre-teen, like in that film, the platform seemed laughable primitive to my generation's normal hardware (16-Bit, SNES/MD).

@ThinkpadIL Thanks for your understanding. 😎👍

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 47 of 49, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-07-22, 07:16:
+1 Absolutely accurate. […]
Show full quote

+1 Absolutely accurate.

When I entered my teenage years, I mean. And learned about the Atari VCS true age (it's from the funky 70s! Wahoo!) and limited features.
As a pre-teen, like in that film, the platform seemed laughable primitive to my generation's normal hardware (16-Bit, SNES/MD).

I suppose kids always prefer a real adult stuff, but for those small 4-6 years old ones those real guns are too heavy and also no adult in its right mind will give them a real gun to play with. But if you're let's say a 12-14 years old teenager there is no problem to go with an adult to a shooting range and to try a real stuff.

At least I as a kid always preferred a real adult stuff. 🙂

Reply 48 of 49, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-07-22, 07:23:
Show full quote

+1 Absolutely accurate.

I suppose kids always prefer a real adult stuff, but for those small 4-6 years old ones those real guns are too heavy and also no adult in its right mind will give them a real gun to play with. But if you're let's say a 12-14 years old teenager there is no problem to go with an adult to a shooting range and to try a real stuff.

Makes sense to me. Kids often are more fascinated by adult stuff when they're at a certain young age.
Like super heroes like Batman/Batgirl in comics/films, etc.
It's as if they're looking for some sort of idol that's strong or confident.

Adults by comparison, are not seldomly the reverse. They're fascinated by young "heroes", say Charlie Brown from the Peanuts.
Maybe they feel nostalgic or it attracts their inner child, not sure. 🤷‍♂️

I suppose that's a funny scenario when both kinds are on the sofa watching TV.
The kid wants to see the adult show (Outer Limits, monster trucks, horror film etc), while the adult person would much more prefer watching a classic cartoon instead.

Children can be cruelsome, after all. More than adults sometimes. Just think of the Kindergarden days. They're little predators sometimes. 😰
A same person can be much more sensitive, compassionate and childlike in its later years, also.

Edit: Sorry for the long reply. Hope it's not too off-topic.
Playing and children are related, after all.

If they don't hear, speak, feel / see, what are they doing? They play. (transl) - Magnus Gottfried Lichtwer

//My video channel//

Reply 49 of 49, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-07-22, 08:07:
Makes sense to me. Kids often are more fascinated by adult stuff when they're at a certain young age. Like super heroes like Bat […]
Show full quote
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-07-22, 07:23:
Show full quote

+1 Absolutely accurate.

Makes sense to me. Kids often are more fascinated by adult stuff when they're at a certain young age.
Like super heroes like Batman in comics/films, etc.
It's as if they're looking for some sort of idol that's strong
Adults by comparison, are not seldomly the reverse. They're fascinated by young "heroes", say Charlie Brown from the Peanuts.
Maybe they feel nostalgic or it attracts their inner child, not sure.
I suppose that's a funny scenario when both kinds are on the sofa watching TV.
The kid wants to see the adult show (Outer Limits, monster trucks, horror film etc), while the adult person would much more prefer watching a classic cartoon instead.

Children can be cruelsome, after all. More than adults sometimes. Just think of the Kindergarden days. They're little predators sometimes. 😰
A same person can be much more sensitive, compassionate and childlike in its later years, also.

Well, I never was in Kindergarten, but yes, it is well known that kids are much more cruelsome than adults.

Regarding adults watching classic cartoons from their childhood times there is also another reason for that besides the nostalgia, watching them through adult eyes they suddenly discover new meanings in those cartoons, those meanings that while being kids they couldn't understand.

And if returning to the main topic, I see no problem if adult wastes his time on whatever activity. It's his life and he is free to do with it what ever he or she wants. But if some friend would ask me if it's a problem that he plays computer games for at least four hours a day, everyday, I would answer - YES, since too much of anything is a problem and may cause a harm.