VOGONS

Common searches

Hey Vogonians, what are your other hobbies?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I may eventually buy 1 Vallejo set. Whereas they may sometimes seem like a premium paint for miniatures, they measure up miserably against even low end student quality acrylics. When I painted over 30 years ago, we simply dipped into glass bottles. Most companies go the dropper route. Oh and I had never heard of a wet pallet. Formula p3 is the one line that uses pots. I favor that.

I haven't actually painted anything yet 🤣. Except a duplicate of a 54mm Russian/Ukrainian knight. And only to t he extent to figure out my skills are abyssmal. I duplicated it for fun using molding clay, and cast it in alumilite. It was a half assed rush job, but what was duplicated was very faithful to the original. Also reproduced a TT scale locomotive shell. That I believe I kept, the knight got tossed. And again painted the shell only to the extent, well you know. I do look forward to ptacticing.with the 3-400 minis I've bought in a year. Mostly historical. Mostly celts/gauls. My fave.

Reply 21 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-03, 11:44:

Whereas they may sometimes seem like a premium paint for miniatures, they measure up miserably against even low end student quality acrylics.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22 of 76, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You know all the weird stuff they have at electronics stores.
( e.g. Computers, radios, stereos, TV’s, appliances, Movies, etc )

I was at a local electronics store once and they had a small home theater setup inside.
They would demo different setups monthly.
They also had rooms setup with different speakers and subwoofer were you could demo them.
I heard these certain speakers and the detail in clarity was amazing.
I was hooked and said I need this kind of setup at home.
So ever since I have been working on my home theater rooms.
Nothing really expensive, just small setups with good speakers and good subwoofers for small rooms.

I am always looking for ways to improve my MAN Cave Home theater / computer room.

After all this Pandemic chaos I started watching more movies at home and enjoy the convenience with streaming boxes and services.
Dolby Atmos and Surround Sound. IMAX movies, Blu-ray, and Concerts.

I try to have a good audio system where you can hear all the details in Audio.
Way better than the Movie Theater.

My Subwoofers give me Nightmares they thump and pound like a 20-ton Wrecking ball.
Sends chills down my spine.

I live across the street from the Library to so I can always check out movies there.

Reply 23 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-08-03, 12:33:

Whereas they may sometimes seem like a premium paint for miniatures, they measure up miserably against even low end student quality acrylics.

Peole who use vallejo mini paints admit freely that their yellows and reds habe pee poor coverage. So right there. But they also make (or made) actual artist paint in squeeze tubes or bottles, like Golden fluid acrylics. And I've heard similar stories of reds in particular having low pigmentation. And hence poor coverage.

Reply 24 of 76, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back when I used to paint models, plastic, airfix, revell etc. decades ago, I'd get these two for a buck testors in a tall, square bottle with a screw cap, and they were great, the tiny humbrol tins were a little more expensive, and tended to need thinning. All was good, then inflation went bonkers or something back then, before I knew it, paint was $5 a thing and models started at $15++ and that was the end of my cheap hobby on kid pocket money, still too expensive by the time I got a newspaper route.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you calling us juvenile? 😀 Some guys spend hours painting 1 figure. With amazing detail.

I used to build plastic models and dinosaurs as a youngin. Never got around to painting them much, as I was too busy lighting fireworks inside them after they were built. I loved the way the plastic made that noise when it dripped. Like tiny bombs dropping. We almost set the game preserve on fire doing shit like that. Scary.

Reply 26 of 76, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, sorry didn't realise it came across like that, was just saying what the good paint used to be, and why I never continued to present day with that.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 28 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-03, 19:53:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-08-03, 12:33:

Peole who use vallejo mini paints admit freely that their yellows and reds habe pee poor coverage. So right there. But they also make (or made) actual artist paint in squeeze tubes or bottles, like Golden fluid acrylics. And I've heard similar stories of reds in particular having low pigmentation. And hence poor coverage.

The Vallejo Game Color range yellows indeed have piss poor coverage but the Vallejo Model Color range yellows are pretty opaque and I have used them successfully. Both ranges have very good, opaque reds but the opacity varies between colors, with lighter reds usually being slightly more transparent. Vallejo Game Color Extra Opaque line also has Heavy Goldbrown and Heavy Red which are amazingly well covering dark yellow and dark red respectively. I have no coverage issues with Vallejo, ultimately.

Reply 30 of 76, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have also got enough HO model train stuff stashed to buy a nice gaming laptop if I sold it off, last used to be into it in the 1980s, but my wife professes a vague interest in doing a layout "one day", so IDK if that's our retirement hobby in a decade or so or what.

Reply 31 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't limit myself to 1 scale (mind you I neber built a layout, so loosely speaking I'm a collector). But if I did it would be TT scale. I recently bought am On3 steam engine (O scaled, but runs on 36" narrow gauge track). I'm not happy with my purchase as the boiler seems oversize. The devil is in the details. I love and always will love O scale trains, have a small lot of, but narrow gauge stuff is supposed to be diminutive. This thing seems big.

Reply 32 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To those of you who do paint minis and whatnot, do you ever find yourself utilizing fluorescent colors, even if it's just to mix them with strait colors? In a batch deal I received a few bottles of fluorescents. Wondering if they're worth holding onto, as they could perhaps add some zing to an otherwise dull affair.

Reply 33 of 76, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TT always seemed like a great compromise between the fiddliness and compromises of rail and bogie size on N gage and the space requirements of HO/OO, but there was not much around for it a couple or three decades back, thus I merely admired it from afar as it were. There wasn't really stuff below Z then like there is now, either, shoebox and coffee table layouts possible, but they don't look all that real due to same problems as N.

Reply 34 of 76, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-05, 21:23:

To those of you who do paint minis and whatnot, do you ever find yourself utilizing fluorescent colors, even if it's just to mix them with strait colors? In a batch deal I received a few bottles of fluorescents. Wondering if they're worth holding onto, as they could perhaps add some zing to an otherwise dull affair.

You mean you don't wanna paint a spiky vest as high-vis for a goblin air traffic ground controller??? 🤣

edit: I bet they'd go good in blood for a bit of magical glow if you had blacklight, bit of yellow in the green blood, touch of pink in the red.
editII: and if you've got any of that blue, just a slight bit down the edge of magical weapons and highlights on magical armor.

Reply 35 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I took another look and my kit only came w/fluorescent yellow and iinm pink, or perhaps actually light red. Very disappointingly no bluenor green. Golden doesn't seem to offer 1 or the other even.

I took a jaunt to Michael's, and it's been a while, but they literally carry everything in the store. Including the Golden Fluid acrylics and SoFlats I've been talking about. Shocked the poopers out of me. But those are retail prices, and homey don't pay them. As it is I need a 2nd job...

I don't do the fantasy stuff. Did 30+ years ago. It's difficult for me to relate. I do historical dark age and medieval stuff. Love the celts/picts/gauls. And crusader knight's. And a selection of sci-fi stuff. That's where the more spacey colors could come in handy.

Reply 36 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-08-06, 00:38:

TT always seemed like a great compromise between the fiddliness and compromises of rail and bogie size on N gage and the space requirements of HO/OO, but there was not much around for it a couple or three decades back, thus I merely admired it from afar as it were. There wasn't really stuff below Z then like there is now, either, shoebox and coffee table layouts possible, but they don't look all that real due to same problems as N.

TT was dubbed the ideal scale, or der ideale spur, by a number of entities. Lionel produced a line of static. TT scale models about 25 years ago. It looked like it would take off again. A German company was producing native prototype sets about that time. But it never gained significant traction. TT was the only scale that had it's inception in the US. Everything else was mainly German or English I guess. That's why you habe HO designated as 1:87 scale, as the English use the mm to foot ratio.

Reply 37 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2022-08-01, 16:32:
Something like this? […]
Show full quote
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-08-01, 01:29:

Antique electric car

Something like this?

vintage-electric-cars.jpg

Is that an Isetta?

Reply 38 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-05, 21:23:

I have some fluo orange that comes handy for painting 40K necrons but that is it..

Reply 39 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For highlights? Used strait, or mixed ever?

I tend to turn up my nose at "fake" colors. Oftentimes you can achieve the desired results with careful application of lighter colors, yellows and white say. I realize though that some really wild effects could only be achieved with flourescents or whatever. There's just so many freaking alternative paints out there. I tend to stick with metallics and that's it.

Maybe I should just try and use some and shut up.