VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been happily dual booting W7 and W10 on my (old) main PC for several years now, with a couple of SSDs shared between OSes, without any serious problems (*). But I've always had that nagging feeling that the way I have it set up might not be the smartest. So perhaps people more in the know could chime in and shine a light on a couple of things for me? The way I have it set up:

- Each OS is on it's own SSD.
- I choose which one to boot via my (pre-UEFI) motherboard's boot menu.
- Each OS has the other's SSD disabled, as disabling them in the BIOS did not hide them from either OS.
- Between them they share a separate SSD for games and data, as well as an external iSCSI drive.

*) I've never had any problems with data or file system errors, and launchers such as Steam, GOG or Origin (which do have their own instance installed on each OS drive) happily see, run and update the games on the shared drive. However:

- I have, for instance, had an OS crash (unrelated reasons), accidentally reboot into the other and have that Windows version running checkdisk on IT'S drive, in stead of the one that actually suffered the crash.
- I have also tried this same setup with a modern, UEFI BIOS system, and there I DID have issues with the OSses not always seeing each other's updates, to the iSCSI drive at least, leading to file system errors.

What I am wondering:

- Does this only work because W7 & W10 are in many ways nearly identical OSes?
- Does this only work on older hardware, is it UEFI (or perhaps something else?) that 'breaks' this on the newer hardware I tried?
- Is this a good idea to begin with, or might I have been balancing on a razor's edge with this setup?

PS: On my older hardware at least (ca. 15 years old) W7 is a much more pleasant experience than W10. Sure, W10 boots a bit faster, but in general I found FPS for most games to be a bit lower, and general file IO to be a lot (and I do mean a LOT) slower on W10.

Last edited by sndwv on 2022-10-22, 11:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately MS hasn't done much with NTFS so there shouldn't be any issues. Saying that though especially with users being the beta testers now more so than every it's likely that the amount of users dual-booting 7 and 10 and identifying the issue as an NTFS compatibility issue and reporting that to MS and it getting fixed is likely incredibly low. Best to keep it disabled, I yank the cable or disable in the BIOS in my test desktop (Q9X50) for the other SSD when booting between 2000,XP,11,Fedora,etc). In my new living room PC I dual-boot between fedora and 11 and don't disable and haven't had any issues yet but there's always the potential with each new update.

Not sure I see the point of dual-booting between 7 and 10 unless you are using 7 32bit and XPDM or if a device driver doesn't work in the other.

Most issues come down to hardware and drivers, things Windows can't do anything about so make sure those are sorted. For old hardware built-in Windows drivers may not be preferred and you may have to install newer or older drivers.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 7, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2022-10-21, 22:10:

Not sure I see the point of dual-booting between 7 and 10 unless you are using 7 32bit and XPDM or if a device driver doesn't work in the other.

I have a few games that work in Windows 7, but not 10. I've been considering doing a Windows 7 and 10 dual boot because I don't want another computer taking up space just to play a few games that don't work in 10. I also looked into getting an old thin client or laptop, but couldn't find anything cheap that met the system requirements.

Reply 3 of 7, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disabling drives in the BIOS never worked for me- W7 and 10 kept stubbornly seeing them either way. No idea if this is my legacy, non-UEFI BIOS, but it would have been yanking cables from that point onwards or, what I did, cross fingers on first boot and disabling them at the OS level.

Anyway, same as Ensign Nemo for me: compatibility with (older) games just isn't as good (or at least 'different') with W10 and, for my older hardware at least, W7 is just a more pleasant experience (also, I dislike virtually every design change MS made from W8 onwards, but this is subjective of course).

I'm still wondering though via which mechanism 'Windows A' is able to pass instructions to 'Windows B' between boots: as I mentioned, the scenario where Windows 10 crashed and had Windows 7 (which boots by default) perform a checkdisk routine on it's C:-drive in stead of it's own has happened a couple of times.

Reply 4 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been running a dual boot of W7 and W8.1 on an old laptop, with a single SSD, and 3 partitions - one for each OS, one data partition. No issues. Can't see why it would be different with W10.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 7, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been running a dual boot Windows XP and 10 for years, Its set up this way:

512GB SSD - Windows XP - 32bit
512GB SSD - Windows 10 - 64bit
2TB HDD - Windows XP installs
2TB HDD - Windows 10 installs and drive images for both OS SSDS

Never had any problems. I don't share the installs between OS' except for benchmarking software. Everything else gets a separate install on its own supporting data HDD. Both OS' can see and access all drives.

Reply 6 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2022-10-22, 01:23:

I have a few games that work in Windows 7, but not 10.

Just curious but which games?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 7, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-25, 16:09:
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2022-10-22, 01:23:

I have a few games that work in Windows 7, but not 10.

Just curious but which games?

I love flight sims, but a lot of the ones worth playing are built on really old engines. The main one that I'm having trouble with is Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory. Despite being really old, a lot of people say that it does some things that the newer ones don't. It's supposed to have really good AI and supports more aircraft in the air at a single time. The latter is important from a historical perspective as the Battle of Britain often had hundreds of aircraft in the air at one time. Newer flight sims continually improve the graphics and flight models, but this comes with a large computational cost and they can only support a few aircraft at a time.

I have some other older flight sims that I would like to try, and I suspect that they might also have issues. However, I might need to go back to XP to get them to work.

I've also had trouble with Mirror's Edge and Rocksmith in Windows 10. Rocksmith is a game for guitarists that actually measures how well you play the songs. There's not much else like it, so it was frustrating when I switched to Windows 10 and it stopped working. I think it's patched now though.

I have others marked as not working in Steam, but I'm on my lunch break, so I can't look them up. I can when I get home later.