VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember trying to activate an account like 2 years ago and it wouldn't let me because of some activation issue so it had to be activated by an admin.
We tried to create an account for my son now and it still says:

The activation key you supplied does not match any in the database.

No matter how many times and what OS/browser we tried, same outcome. Does that mean that it's intentional because it's a closed community like a torrent site or is it an unfixed bug? The Contact us link in the email is also broken, leads to some "no form specified" empty page.

Reply 1 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2022-11-11, 08:53:
I remember trying to activate an account like 2 years ago and it wouldn't let me because of some activation issue so it had to b […]
Show full quote

I remember trying to activate an account like 2 years ago and it wouldn't let me because of some activation issue so it had to be activated by an admin.
We tried to create an account for my son now and it still says:

The activation key you supplied does not match any in the database.

No matter how many times and what OS/browser we tried, same outcome. Does that mean that it's intentional because it's a closed community like a torrent site or is it an unfixed bug? The Contact us link in the email is also broken, leads to some "no form specified" empty page.

Not sure how you are facing so many problems. I am in no way an admin but I see a working Contact Us page.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 12, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Contact us in the mail we received upon registration that comes with the error:

"Information
No mode specified."

Problem still stands, the registration process doesn't seem to work for some reason and it's not computer/OS related. We've tried WIndows 7, Windows 10, Android 11, Chrome, Firefox, Brave. Sent multiple activation requests and all turned out the same.
If this isn't a local computer/OS/region problem then this could prevent a lot of new users from creating an account.

Reply 3 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Registration works fine for most people, we have daily registrations that just work.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 12, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So what's the explanation to the errors in this case? Why does the link in the activation emails lead to "The activation key you supplied does not match any in the database." if it's working fine?

Reply 5 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't know, maybe contact Snover as he has more insight into how the site works.
Just for the fun of it I just registered a new account and it worked without problems. The contact link also works.

Maybe the problem is on the side of your ISP or DNS resolver?

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 12, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no idea but I remember encountering the same error years before. We have Telekom here, no problems with the service so far.
Thanks for the reply though, must be a local thing I can't do anything about.

Reply 7 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote on 2022-11-11, 14:31:

I have no idea but I remember encountering the same error years before. We have Telekom here, no problems with the service so far.
Thanks for the reply though, must be a local thing I can't do anything about.

Here are some things to consider trying, in no particular order, pretty likely you've considered or already tried at least one of these already, though :

- Temporarily set a different DNS ( Google's 8.8.8.8 , for example )
- Try through a VPN
- Try through a phone's data plan
- Try through a library's public Internet or an Internet cafe or even public WIF hotspot (if possible/available)

Reply 8 of 12, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-11-11, 14:44:

- Try through a VPN
- Try through a library's public Internet or an Internet cafe or even public WIF hotspot (if possible/available)

Thank you! I tried registering from scratch using Proton (Japan) but haven't even got the confirmation email with the activation link.
Well, I tried. Must be some location block in effect that excludes certain countries/IP ranges.

Reply 9 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2022-11-11, 17:20:

- Try through a VPN

Thank you! I tried registering from scratch using Proton (Japan) but haven't even got the confirmation email with the activation link.
Well, I tried. Must be some location block in effect that excludes certain countries/IP ranges.

Some ISPs reasonlessly blacklist sites; for example my ISP blacklisted mech2.org site as if it is something majorly illegal.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 10 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote on 2022-11-11, 17:20:

- Try through a VPN

If the E-mail is a problem, maybe consider opening a gmail, hotmail or other e-mail (unless Vogons does not allow using one of those).

Reply 11 of 12, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-11-11, 23:40:

If the E-mail is a problem, maybe consider opening a gmail, hotmail or other e-mail (unless Vogons does not allow using one of those).

When we first tried to register we got the confirmation mails just right but couldn't activate.
When I tried again later using VPN and a fresh reg there was no confirmation email at all an that was like 18 hours ago.
Since site admins don't address this problem it's impossible to tell if it's email/DNS/ISP or whatever related and I've already tried using 2 different mails to do this.
Gave up, kid regged to vcfed.
Thanks though, good advices!

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Again, have you talked to Snover?
Have you checked the spam folder (when the reg email didn‘t arrive)?