VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

chasing a copy to play.. the 1996 version..

GOG doesnt list anything..

where u guys getting it?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 14, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can still get the shareware version from 3D Realms. However, I think the download links point to their FTP server, and that protocol is no longer supported by modern browsers.

As for the full version, you can either get a physical copy from eBay or buy the 20th Anniversary edition on Steam. I don't think the latter can work on a retro rig though. It's designed for modern computers.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 14, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never played Duke Nukem 1 and 2 (though I love Duke Nukem 3D, of course), but if you're interested, then I remember reading on a DN3D forum about open source fan-made game engines, and a search of google finds:

http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net/reduke.html for the first game, and

https://github.com/lethal-guitar/RigelEngine for Duke Nukem II.

You will need the original games to play these (you need the games' data files, these open source engines don't contain them, for copyright reasons of course). But if the anniversary version of the games has problems on your system, then these might help. Plus they might have features or improvements over the base games that you'd like.

Reply 4 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Duke Nukem is held hostage by one notorious greasy individual. But you can still buy whole collection here though: https://www.zoom-platform.com/product/duke-nu … -atomic-edition

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 14, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GOG.com did carry Duke Nukem titles in the past (hence the support forum on GOG), but they were removed at the end of 2015:
Duke Nukem IP Ownership Change
https://www.gog.com/forum/duke_nukem_series/w … _from_gog/page1

If you decide to get a physical copy of Duke Nukem 3D, be aware that the earlier non-Atomic Edition includes the full releases of the first two games as well, so you would be able to use the engines Kerr Avon referenced above.

Reply 6 of 14, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-11-19, 15:39:

Duke Nukem is held hostage by one notorious greasy individual. But you can still buy whole collection here though: https://www.zoom-platform.com/product/duke-nu … -atomic-edition

that looks like the go..
would that be usable / playable on a proper retro machine (p166, win95 machine)? with perhaps a little sorting of the installer or pulling necessary files out..

and
ah yeah guys i meant duke nukem 3d, not the earlier ones ( forgot that they existed)..

Reply 7 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not 100% sure, but I think Zoom version is just DOSBOX with custom launcher + original games.

Reply 8 of 14, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kennyPENTIUMpowers wrote on 2022-11-20, 12:20:

ah yeah guys i meant duke nukem 3d, not the earlier ones ( forgot that they existed)..

Well, none of us seem to have noticed that you mentioned that the year 1996 (the year DN3D was released, which was years later than the first game), so we can't criticize you!

Anyway, I've just checked, but sadly GOG.COM don't sell the game. I always prefer GOG, because of their no-DRM stance. But you can get the game from Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/434050/Duk … ary_World_Tour/

Fifteen quid for a twenty-six year old game does seem a little steep, but it's an all-time classic, and you get the new (well, six year old) episode 20th Anniversary World Tour included.

When you buy it, also download the excellent, free Alien Armageddon mod from:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-alien-a … eddon/downloads (Download the latest version, 4.60, and it's patch)

this mod offers upgraded versions of the original levels + new levels, an option to play as other characters, better A. I., new weapons etc. You need one file from the official game, just copy the file "duke3d.grp" from your installation folder of the official game into the folder you installed Alien Armageddon to.

Reply 9 of 14, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I'll take the Zoom Platform DRM-free Atomic Edition deal for $6 any day of the week over the weak $20 Steam offering.

Don't forget the 2.5D Manhattan Project. Am I the only one who liked that game? Oh, probably, but then again I think I'm the only one that liked DNF as well.

Reply 11 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

I guess the sexism is the reason the game is hard to get now?

Well, not really. Apparently some publishing rights were lost during IP transfer to Gearbox. So anything outside of original games from 3DRealms in legal limbo, except Zoom platform. But it's still a mystery why Gearbox did not include Atomic Edition in their mediocre port.

liqmat " wrote:

Am I the only one who liked that game?

It's faithful throwback to Duke roots.

Reply 12 of 14, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kennyPENTIUMpowers wrote on 2022-11-19, 11:30:

chasing a copy to play.. the 1996 version..

GOG doesnt list anything..

where u guys getting it?

If you buy the original CD release of Duke Nukem 3D, you will get full versions of Duke Nukum and Duke Nukem II on that same CD with a bunch of modding tools etc. Apogee/3DRealms used to be awesome...

If you don't care about the box, just the CD can be had for fairly little on eBay.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 13 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Duke3D v1.3D CDs (which also have registered DN1/2) used to be OEM pack-ins for some peripherals so keep an eye out for those too.

also probably obligatory to mention - v1.3D doesn't have a CD check. Retail v1.4/1.5 does. It's also known to be difficult to upgrade with the Plutonium Pak. There's also many cosmetic differences between the two outside of the new episode and monster/weapons (the menu font has changed and duke has some lousy new one liners), though the most damningly cursed change is that YOU CAN'T DOUBLE BOOT (and source ports refuse to fix this)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 14, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2022-11-20, 22:55:

Duke3D v1.3D CDs (which also have registered DN1/2) used to be OEM pack-ins for some peripherals so keep an eye out for those too.

also probably obligatory to mention - v1.3D doesn't have a CD check. Retail v1.4/1.5 does. It's also known to be difficult to upgrade with the Plutonium Pak. There's also many cosmetic differences between the two outside of the new episode and monster/weapons (the menu font has changed and duke has some lousy new one liners), though the most damningly cursed change is that YOU CAN'T DOUBLE BOOT (and source ports refuse to fix this)

<goes and checks CD. confirms it's 1.3D.> Good to know!