VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

many of us have been interested in computers and indeed vintage computing for some time, our own hobby has become vintage!

in looking back over decades, especially the last 20 years i note a few ways in which my interest has changed:

back then i was much more into DOS and Win98se in particular. Now i have no plain DOS machines and very few Win9x machines available to use, and i rarely use them. I have moved on to almost exclusively win XP and W7 for 'retro' machines. This in part reflects a slow loss of pre P3 machines, i really don't have that many now. I don't have any pre pentiums anymore - and i don't really mind at all. I would have imagined i'd feel more of a sense of loss if thinking as myself 20 years ago! maybe these things are in some way less important to me now.

there were still hobby programming scenes around qbasic and the like back then, although they were fading away (and remember allegro, it still exists). Now there are tiny islands of activity around some language implementations like freebasic and game libraries but mainstay hobby game programming has moved onto unity and so forth, its all about dropping models into environments and coding as fine tuning rather than building up from source and libraries (although that's still around too). It's also very web focussed much of the time, the idea that hobby games target a platform and that we download and run an .exe is very much the minority now. What is great now is the interest in programming for diverse platforms like the GBA and other consoles. On the whole though i feel a bit left behind now compared to back then but in a good way - there is so much more opportunity.

speaking of consoles, i have a few but have stopped collecting anything for them. emulation already covers everything i have amazingly - I am not preserving anything after all!

I was never that bothered by having to have specific PC components, my experience back then showed me that you could play plenty of games on a celeron 500 with a tnt2 card and one thing that has stayed the same over 20 years is that i dont get much from optimising components - and to be frank the game experience is the game experience once graphics and sound reach a fairly modest level, it never mattered to me that you could see more or less leaves on a tree during a game. I let all my CRTs go some time back and don't regret it either.

on playing games and hardware compatibility - i really have taken the dosbox, gog and hack/workarounds route in recent years. It's just easier to have one machine that runs nearly everything you want and then a small number of other machines to cover the rest and to be honest i never did care much about eax or whether one setup showed the correct shade of blue and so on. I appreciate the efforts put into this area by many enthusiasts but i wouldn't do the same now

i still have the same rescue mentality though - cant let a working pc go into the waste if i can help it and hence i have kept so many going and 'rescued' so many that to be honest i have simply 'too much' measured by the ones i actually use regularly. I still enjoy setting up a PC, the fresh install process and so on - that never gets old 😀

how about you?

Reply 1 of 52, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It shifted from hardware over to software.

These days I don't really collect any more hardware. I already built what I need and have some spare parts for them to keep them running. And some more that just takes up space it shouldn't have. There are still one or two pending PC building project I plan to finish. A low profile DOS+W98 PC and a hyper compact XP PC. Other than parts for these I only pick up stuff that are absolutely underpriced. Something like the most popular collectors stuff for sub-10€.

Other than that, now that I have stuff to play on, I mainly collect games now. And even on that front, I already own most of what I'm interested in. There are maybe 20-ish more games I'd like to get on disc.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 52, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My whims are just getting weirder. I feel like I've built all the DOS & Windows configurations I need to. Now I'm like, what if I built a 286 running Xenix or something.

Reply 3 of 52, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess a new Pentium 1 system circa 1994 was the root of my interest. Eventually that led on to spending far too long buying and selling second hand gear to try out different sound and video cards, and after some years of that I cut back: I liked the Windows 98 days best, so that became the focus. The time spent trying to differentiate the impact of different midi soundsets and so forth was fun for a while, but it's often hairsplitting and in the end became frustrating and frankly a huge diversion. There's the whole "likely consumer hardware" vs "what the developer used/envisaged" debate, and also the fact that even on contemporary hardware some games ran rough (and not really "by modern standards" - they ran rough at the time, and felt it) - and whether that's what you're trying to replicate.

Still miss socket seven gear, so maybe one day I'll build one again. But at the same time new upgrades were needed as others wanted to play newer games... and I eventually got sucked into WoW for more than a few years. And then private servers to play old versions, even donated to mangos.

Where I am now: consoles stuffed into a sideboard. PC components stuff into a few cupboards. Seldom play games, and when I do it's gog, dosbox, and similar used to run them on my Windows 10 box. I have my athlon win98 agp/pci box with various voodoo, aureal, PCX cards for running some old Windows and dos games but even that uses dosbox for anything really old. A machine in parts for ISA boards.

I look back with some nostalgia, but I do other things now.

Reply 4 of 52, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It has changed a lot in the last 10+ years. I used to tinker with different hardware for hours a day... now maybe a few hours per week or even month. In all this time I still haven't rebuilt my first PC from 1992 or finish my man cave...

From time to time I wonder what to do with all the hardware I've collected... and I still buy "new" stuff 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 52, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2023-03-27, 09:11:

there were still hobby programming scenes around qbasic and the like back then, although they were fading away (and remember allegro, it still exists). Now there are tiny islands of activity around some language implementations like freebasic and game libraries but mainstay hobby game programming has moved onto unity and so forth, [..]

I remember these sites! Though I've never really been a QBasic nerd - I used QB45! 😅
Speaking of QBasic nerds, how could we possibly ever forget that song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mal6XbN5cEg

how about you?

I'm still using Quick Basic/VB from time to time for writing little prototype programs, but I've started to use them in VMs, too.
Previously, I either used real hardware or DOSBox for this.

That way I can still interface them to real hardware (USB serial adapters, gameport, LPT ports etc) on a modern PC or Macintosh.

The VM software emulates the standard IBM PC hardware on the guest side, then maps it to the corresponding hardware on the host side. 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 52, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did not consider myself a retro enthusiast. Not until I've got into FPGA in my line of work.
Playing around with Verilog I wanted some reference behavior models for vintage hardware to reproduce in FPGA devkits, and I had the ancient 286 mobo that first had to be fixed from battery leakage.
Then the nostalgia hit me, and I had to collect something bit closer to my first ISA-only PC with Cx486SLC2-50.

I want some real HW, sure, but my interests aren't about retro HW per se, but in writing retro SW instead, and it must run on real HW.
Now I'm writing some 16-bit code from the FPGA developer perspective - the code and resources are fragmented, theoretical throughputs are known upfront, no dynamic allocations of resources, etc.
So I have fun writing retro software, while at the same time honing the skills of resource planning that is applicable to FPGA work.

Reply 7 of 52, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sadly I am one of those old farts that prefer to restore old original hardware...a purist if you will.
..and whilst I do appreciate modern innovations that bring retro computing up to speed with FPGA etc...there is still a passion in me that prefers to stick with old hardware.
I have rarely used emulation though I can understand why people love it...
...to keep the hobby alive ...and make it available to a bigger pool of people.
I myself have a few modern addons for Amiga and Apple II etc
..but there is nothing like the sound of a real hard drive running up.
My real problem is space now...and one day they will find me dead under a pile of retro machines.
I am a hoarder and I have a problem.
Hic!!
A while back I aquired or built several floppy units and inerfaces to archive..
I really enjoyed this addition to my hobby...and felt like I was contributing in some way.
I have a feeling this is age related...
I'm 66 in october and feel this archiving thing triggered something in my brain...
I cant prevent myself ageing and dying...a lack of control I guess...
..so I concentrate on what I can control...making old hardware live again.
regards
VS

Reply 8 of 52, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to be an old hardware hoarder, but as emulation is getting better, now I'm more interested to build new hardware as host for emulators. Last gen CPUs are fast enough to run non-accelerated, texture-mapped 3D games in 640x480 resolution and above in DOSBOX. Heck, my ancient i7-2600K is fast enough to run Sandwarriors in 800x600 in DOSBOX, while certain games like Azrael's Tear and Hi-Octane need DOSBOX cycles to be reduced to keep them from running too fast, despite non-accelerated texture mapping in 640x480 resolution.

(Am I getting old? I think the proper, more modern term is 'software rendering', but somehow I always say 'non-accelerated' like in the old days.)

I'm actually interested in QEMU, but the last time I checked, its author got banned for starting a tantrum and throwing vague accusations against a moderator. A pity he had to act that way. In any case, is QEMU as good as he claimed? If that's the case then my next daily driver will definitely be a Linux system.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 52, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-03-27, 10:39:

It shifted from hardware over to software.

i always liked software and enjoyed the process of furnishing a PC with various software, i still do - but perhaps i actually use it more now!

Pierre32 wrote on 2023-03-27, 10:52:

My whims are just getting weirder. I feel like I've built all the DOS & Windows configurations I need to. Now I'm like, what if I built a 286 running Xenix or something.

i guess its broadening out and that seems like a good progression

ratfink wrote on 2023-03-27, 11:00:

Where I am now: consoles stuffed into a sideboard. PC components stuff into a few cupboards. Seldom play games, and when I do it's gog, dosbox, and similar used to run them on my Windows 10 box.

well, it is easier this way so why have all that hardware? maybe a lesson from pierre32 - anything hardware related should be something new allowing for new knowledge or usage

Reply 10 of 52, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2023-03-27, 11:14:

It has changed a lot in the last 10+ years. I used to tinker with different hardware for hours a day... now maybe a few hours per week or even month.

i definitely spend less time on hardware now, though i still enjoy the process - an i occasionally buy something too, adding to the pile!

Reply 11 of 52, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-03-27, 11:17:
I remember these sites! Though I've never really been a QBasic nerd - I used QB45! 😅 Speaking of QBasic nerds, how could we poss […]
Show full quote

there were still hobby programming scenes around qbasic and the like back then, although they were fading away (and remember allegro, it still exists). Now there are tiny islands of activity around some language implementations like freebasic and game libraries but mainstay hobby game programming has moved onto unity and so forth, [..]

I remember these sites! Though I've never really been a QBasic nerd - I used QB45! 😅
Speaking of QBasic nerds, how could we possibly ever forget that song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mal6XbN5cEg

😀 lyrics written by someone who knew!

i remember all the textfile 'tutorials' from back then written by invisible techs with cool sounding names and full of assembly tricks and so forth - qbasic, qb, turbo pascal and more

and if only having qbasic - then call absolute with strings of &HCD,&H33 etc 😀

I'm still using Quick Basic/VB from time to time for writing little prototype programs, but I've started to use them in VMs, too […]
Show full quote

I'm still using Quick Basic/VB from time to time for writing little prototype programs, but I've started to use them in VMs, too.
Previously, I either used real hardware or DOSBox for this.

That way I can still interface them to real hardware (USB serial adapters, gameport, LPT ports etc) on a modern PC or Macintosh.

The VM software emulates the standard IBM PC hardware on the guest side, then maps it to the corresponding hardware on the host side. 🙂

that's a good idea. i guess there are unmapped things but interesting way to maintain old hardware applications

Reply 12 of 52, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No big change at all, i almost do same things 25 years ago

My work is mostly programming in x86 and 68k assembler, my main computer still runs XP, i use Visual Studio 6, Mingw, gcc,nasm, etc to compile, do my graphics work in paint shop pro 7, listen mp3 in winamp, modules in modplugplayer, etc etc

The only change is now use the phone for work, but is not sooo different 20 years ago i use a lot my palm or jornada 720

In my personal free time, i changed a little, for example, i dont play much games, but collect more, but no big difference anyway. I only buy old stuff, very few times i buy new hardware, and mostly is only for work

Reply 13 of 52, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vstrakh wrote on 2023-03-27, 11:49:

Did not consider myself a retro enthusiast. Not until I've got into FPGA in my line of work.
Playing around with Verilog I wanted some reference behavior models for vintage hardware to reproduce in FPGA devkits, and I had the ancient 286 mobo that first had to be fixed from battery leakage.
Then the nostalgia hit me, and I had to collect something bit closer to my first ISA-only PC with Cx486SLC2-50.

thats a different way in to the hobby, but interesting for sure

Vipersan wrote on 2023-03-27, 12:03:
Sadly I am one of those old farts that prefer to restore old original hardware...a purist if you will. ... I have a feeling this […]
Show full quote

Sadly I am one of those old farts that prefer to restore old original hardware...a purist if you will.
I have a feeling this is age related...
I'm 66 in october and feel this archiving thing triggered something in my brain...
I cant prevent myself ageing and dying...a lack of control I guess...
..so I concentrate on what I can control...making old hardware live again.

i think that sense of preservation is strong in many of us, i have that too, up to a point - but i recognise nothing is really being preserved in a way that has longer term meaning and that's ok

i have never really been a purist, but probably much less of one now as i realise what software can do in terms of emulation / simulation

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-03-27, 14:08:

I used to be an old hardware hoarder, but as emulation is getting better, now I'm more interested to build new hardware as host for emulators.

yes indeed, its such an interesting thing. I agree with the nostalgia and the 'sensory' thing with old hardware (the sounds, the screen, the keyboard, the weight!) but once its switched on and the nostalgia buzz goes then what? then it may as well be emulated to some extent

Reply 14 of 52, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
theelf wrote on 2023-03-27, 15:09:

My work is mostly programming in x86 and 68k assembler, my main computer still runs XP, i use Visual Studio 6, Mingw, gcc,nasm, etc to compile, do my graphics work in paint shop pro 7, listen mp3 in winamp, modules in modplugplayer, etc etc

i have such software too but also some newer variants. i guess if what you do is much the same then there is less nostalgia? or maybe not

Reply 15 of 52, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My interest has wained significantly and now I just keep a few basics and tend to go on selling sprees fairly frequently. I've got a solid Windows 98 system, a 486 board that is never set up, a 775 board for Windows 7 gaming and a 1155 board as a backup in case my main PC dies for whatever reason.

But I also get bored and buy parts on eBay to set up project PCs so who knows what's going on really.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 16 of 52, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2023-03-27, 15:11:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-03-27, 14:08:

I used to be an old hardware hoarder, but as emulation is getting better, now I'm more interested to build new hardware as host for emulators.

yes indeed, its such an interesting thing. I agree with the nostalgia and the 'sensory' thing with old hardware (the sounds, the screen, the keyboard, the weight!) but once its switched on and the nostalgia buzz goes then what? then it may as well be emulated to some extent

For me, it wasn't nostalgia though; it's about running games with their maximum system requirements. My retro system building philosophy is always period overkill instead of period correct. You can find more about it on this thread.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 17 of 52, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was all in the emulation from 1996 to 2007 (Amiga, Atari8bit,MAME, DosBox, SNES,Genesis...). But wanted the real thing back 😁 I only use emulation for quick testing now.

I guess 16 years later emulation has well improved and with faster CPUs is even (more) enjoyable...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 18 of 52, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2023-03-27, 15:14:
theelf wrote on 2023-03-27, 15:09:

i have such software too but also some newer variants. i guess if what you do is much the same then there is less nostalgia? or maybe not

I dont have new variants, because i dont need, the old ones still work fine for what i do, why i will update to newer variants? why i will update for example windows xp if work for me? this is what is in my mind, something work, i dont touch

In other side, for example, i LOVE umbpci, this is new software, that give me something i really dont have before, or SSD disks, i will never use a mechanical one exept i need for something, etc something new things can make "retro" life better

About nostalgia, is something i dont have, i dont miss old times, is just old stuff simple do what i need. For example, i like doom, but i dont miss my old times playing doom. I dont play doom because nostalgia, i dont build a 386 to play doom, i play doom just because i like, and no new fps game give me nothing better. I dont care about graphics, or new playability, nothing of this will do i will stop playing doom and start playing other fps

If one day, a new kind of fps give me something "new" i will try of course

I dont use floppy anymore for fun, i dont feel nostalgia for this old piece of hardware, i dont care about them. But i have 5 1/4 and 3.5" floppy in my computer because something i need to use, thats all... etc etc

Reply 19 of 52, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My interest in authentic hardware has grown over time, particularly over the past few years. I previously relied more on emulation, but it doesn't quite capture the same feel as using real, vintage hardware.

Though I am getting to the point where I have most of everything I think I want, so I may start easing from collecting and restoring old hardware to simply using it.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards