First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam/denuvo-book-em … ators-dangerous
https://irdeto.com/e-book-the-threats-of-game … -worried-enough
https://irdeto.com/denuvo/nintendo-switch-emu … tor-protection/

A new book published by Denuvo owner Irdeto warns game developers against the dangers of emulation, saying that the use of emulators “threatens not only the revenue of new games, but also that of old and classic ones.” A third-party, anti-tamper solution often used on Steam, Denuvo is increasingly widespread, and found in new games such as Hogwarts Legacy and Resident Evil 4, as well as Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Battlefield 2042, and numerous others. It is intended to prevent games being pirated, with Irdeto’s new book also claiming that videogame pirates have “tarnished” the original goal of emulators on PCs.

Guess we'll be seeing Denuvo even more on console games, I know they've been making inroads for some dumb ass reason.
Not going to give these idiots the click numbers so I'm not reading it.
Shame on the dosbox devs for allowing people to get their games to work instead of waiting on publishers to release their own emulator or re-compile games to work on a different OS at the perfect time since of course they have that source code backed up and readily available, licenses worked out and all the tools and compiler environment available for all those games. These emulators of course prevented these companies from emulating the games themselves, compiling them for newer operating systems or streaming them.

Think someone should duplicate this page and change the title to the below and focus on:
The threats of DRM to the gaming community, the people you sell games to:
Are you worried at all?

Attachments

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-03-31, 10:16. Edited 9 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 26, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's ironic they highlight an example involving Nintendo (Switch emulation), when meanwhile Nintendo just shut down their Wii U and 3DS digital storefronts.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 26, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would be most ironic, when Denuvo inevitably will become irrelevant and primary cause of problems with old games. Just like any "hard-to-crack" DRM were before.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 26, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the3dfxdude wrote on 2023-03-30, 21:48:

Threatens the revenue of new games. Oh dear. What a line to start with.

The best part about that rhetoric, if anyone is really that concerned about loss of revenue with "new games", then maybe they should stop producing bad games in the first place.

It's practically the same situation as the "Video Game Crash of 1983".

Denuvo is probably hurting for money and are desperate to get more clients interested in their "anti-tamper software".

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 26, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-03-31, 06:31:

It would be most ironic, when Denuvo inevitably will become irrelevant and primary cause of problems with old games. Just like any "hard-to-crack" DRM were before.

The most ironic part will be when Denuvo inevitably shuts down and publishers will be using cracks from pirates to make their games playable and avoid lawsuits.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 6 of 26, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote on 2023-03-31, 07:33:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-03-31, 06:31:

The most ironic part will be when Denuvo inevitably shuts down and publishers will be using cracks from pirates to make their games playable and avoid lawsuits.

Like Ubi Soft has already done

Reply 7 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So by that logic now that I don't a record player or convenient CD player I HAVE to purchase all my music again? Um no, I paid the upfront cost, I own a copy of that music and if I need to convert it to a format so I can play it then I will.
Same for movies, I DID go and re purchase a number of DVD's even though I already had a VHS copy because you got something for the money (better AV quality)

A good re-release of game sells well. Command and Conquer for example. Owned the original, The First Decade gave you nothing extra apart from WinXP support, not worth my money. The recent Remaster had Improved music, graphics, bonus content. well worth the extra money.

But if you want to be lazy and simply update the game to run on a modern OS but offer nothing new where is the incentive for someone to pay the extra money?

Irony is of course alot of those cross over dos-Win9x games on gog or whatever are now only available in dos mode as dosbox is easer solution then fixing the 9x code.

Of course none of these anti piracy type companies really care about the games industry, They just want to protect their revenue stream till it becomes obsolete.

Reply 8 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was able to find a copy. Attached to first post
Appears to be an advert for their shitty software for Nintendo Switch.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-03-31, 11:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 26, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, it would be hilarious when Nintendo would have to use Denuvo cracks on subsequent re-releases of games from Switch, because they've lost the source code.

Reply 10 of 26, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree with them on something... emulation IS stealing... It's the industry stealing decades of unpaid work done by countless people developing and supporting emulation at a time when the industry didn't care about their old products. They basically just waited for emulation to get mature enough so they could sell their old products again and again (infested with DRM, btw), and have the nerve to treat this same community as criminals.

Something is REALLY wrong with the gaming industry... back them people were concerned over downloading cracked games because of malware, but now people download cracked games to GET RID of malware that comes with the legit product. I used to think that we should "support the industry" but now, the sooner the gaming industry collapses the better IMHO.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 11 of 26, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote on 2023-03-31, 07:01:

The best part about that rhetoric, if anyone is really that concerned about loss of revenue with "new games", then maybe they should stop producing bad games in the first place.

My understanding of the use of DRM like Denuvo insofar as new games releases is it's simply about delaying the availability of pirated copies of the title. That initial release window is when most revenues are realized. If the only available option is a commercial sale, more people will buy it than if they also had the choice of a pirated copy.

In this respect, publishers are the ones working with the most information. Implementing something like Denuvo costs them money. As they have the respective sales and costs data, they are making these assessments to use Denuvo on the basis of generating higher net profits than without.

Insofar as "bad games" goes, I think that's bit of a unfair assessment. I don't think any developer out there actively seeks to create and make bad games. In fact, insofar as major releases go, I think it's rare to find a genuinely bad game.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 12 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only 33% of 251 have had Denuvo removed. The earliest that is still unremoved was released back in 2013. That's a long initial release.
Unfortunately the "cracked" copies still have Denuvo and likely will never have it officially removed. I think Capcom and Square Enix are the only ones consistently removing it after roughly a year or so.
Meanwhile The Last of Us was just released with only Steam DRM easily emulated with goldberg Steam emu. Of course the game needs lots of fixing so we'll see if that affects sales or not.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-03-31, 18:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The dumb thing is that they count all downloads of pirated software as lost sales.. when in reality, the majority of those downloads would have never resulted in a sales if it wasn't available for download.

The publishers should be very aware that this is the case but if they admitted it then they would no longer be able to cry wolf.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 26, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-31, 18:08:

The dumb thing is that they count all downloads of pirated software as lost sales..

Do they really do that though? I feel like these sorts of things are a bit apocryphal at this point.

I would expect that for internal purposes, they probably just look at cost of DRM and an estimated % of additional sales required to break even vs not using DRM. It's a pretty basic cost-benefit equation.

I think we need to assume that publishers are at least as smart as their audience and are also working with more information than we have regarding their own sales and costs. In that regard, I sincerely doubt any publishers truly believe that every download is a lost sale. A potential sale maybe.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 15 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm betting they try to push the numbers just the same as record companies do. Every single pirated copy is counted as a lost sale.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 26, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bet that they also count patient people, that buy only at significant discount, like 50% or more, as a lost sale.

Reply 17 of 26, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If they want to make a point on how much they are being harmed by piracy then it's very likely they count every pirated download to inflate the actual numbers. This is common practice in any industry, why would it be different now?

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 18 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like how he is concerned about revenues from old games, as if games from the 80's and 90's were still selling enough to raise substantial revenue for the copyright holders. I'm not talking about just PC and Mac games, either. I'm including Atari, Texas Instruments, Apple II, etc games from back when everyone had their own proprietary system, battling for dominance, before Commodore released the C64, and basically drove everyone else out, with their aggressive price cutting. I doubt many games for those systems are still selling legitimate new copies.

Reply 19 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote on 2023-04-01, 12:29:

I like how he is concerned about revenues from old games, as if games from the 80's and 90's were still selling enough to raise substantial revenue for the copyright holders. I'm not talking about just PC and Mac games, either. I'm including Atari, Texas Instruments, Apple II, etc games from back when everyone had their own proprietary system, battling for dominance, before Commodore released the C64, and basically drove everyone else out, with their aggressive price cutting. I doubt many games for those systems are still selling legitimate new copies.

I doubt if the concern is genuine. I suspect those copyright-wankers are actually worried that we won't buy new games anymore if we're busy playing old games using emulators. It seems to me gaming industry executives don't want competition from old games.

cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-31, 18:08:

The dumb thing is that they count all downloads of pirated software as lost sales.. when in reality, the majority of those downloads would have never resulted in a sales if it wasn't available for download.

The publishers should be very aware that this is the case but if they admitted it then they would no longer be able to cry wolf.

Indeed. Excuses to push DRM, DMCA, and to erode fair use always sound like made-up nonsense to me.

chinny22 wrote on 2023-03-31, 10:01:

So by that logic now that I don't a record player or convenient CD player I HAVE to purchase all my music again? Um no, I paid the upfront cost, I own a copy of that music and if I need to convert it to a format so I can play it then I will.

And this is what I always suspect to be the true reason behind DRM; to coerce us to pay multiple times for the same contents. Gaming industry, film industry, music industry, they're all the same. I remember reading an article somewhere in 2006 or 2007, about an RIAA executive trying to criminalize making personal backups of your own CD audio.

Another reason is probably pure malice, something like "if the company goes down, then let's make sure our consumers can never play the games they've bought anymore." What do those game industry executives gain from it? Nothing, except the satisfaction of seeing their consumers suffer. Is it rational? No. But corporations are still run by people, and people are not wired to be rational. In fact, people in charge of large corporations tend to be sadistic sociopaths, and sadists just love to inflict suffering on others despite the lack of material rewards for doing so.

Remember the case of Windows 8 Start Menu. When users started using hack to bring the Classic Start Menu back, Microsoft decided to purge it altogether. Rationally, a business should give its consumers what they want, to make the consumers happy, and ultimately to increase revenue and profits. And yet Microsoft decision makers decided to give their consumers the middle finger instead. And they can afford to do it, since Microsoft practically monopolizes the desktop market. Perhaps the same is happening in gaming industry, where gaming industry executives prefer to shit on their consumers instead of making them happy.

It seems to me, when a corporation has reached the point when they can afford to screw their consumers, they will screw their consumers. No exception.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.