Question about modern Radeon GFX

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-04-02, 19:48:

Ohh that expensive Intel ARC GPUs. Even 380 is about 220 cad. What it is compared to other vintage and current competing GPUs?

Cheers,

There are two low-end Intel Arc GPUs that don't cost very much, but they are hard to get right now, because OEMs gobble them up and Intel is focused in establishing the brand for gaming, so they are making more of those GPUs.

Reply 21 of 26, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote on 2023-04-02, 12:58:
That's a bit unusual opinion. […]
Show full quote
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-04-01, 10:10:

AMD cards aren't great on Linux, cause they gutted their driver team years ago and have only now begun rebuilding in the past few years.

That's a bit unusual opinion.

AMD GPU drivers are open source unlike Nvidia's drivers. Also, Nvidia hasn't been very actively developing their Linux drivers. Only recently they have added somewhat working support for Wayland and it still has problems:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmasterrace/comm … a_with_wayland/

I use Nvidia 1660 Super myself on an Xorg + KDE system and have occasional flickering at the top of my screen. Also, sometimes the desktop/background applications are not rendered properly (I see just black behind the active window).

AMD RX 6600 was plug and play for me in Debian, although I did have to change to the testing repo. I've always avoided Nvidia cards with Linux, have been nothing but headaches ime.

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 22 of 26, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SPBHM wrote on 2023-04-02, 16:35:
brostenen wrote on 2023-04-01, 15:26:

I just need office/productivity/web-surfing/mail/home-banking use and then as a tool for my other vintage stuff. With the CPU it has, then it is onboard Intel 610 or something. But only display port output. I would prefer DVI or HDMI as that is what my monitor takes.

For gaming it would be Minecraft and a couple of emulators. Like Snes and Mame. You know, that stuff.

I think the Intel IGP is adequate for that, display port to HDMI or DVI adapters are easy to find and cheap afaik

yes, i find the 'whatever is on board' graphics fine for this kind of thing on almost any machine and would happily use an adapter

i thought minecraft was meant to be a bit more demanding though, i don't play it so not sure

Reply 23 of 26, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-04-02, 19:36:
brostenen wrote on 2023-04-02, 14:27:
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-04-02, 12:23:

And that's exactly what I gave you. Intel's low-end passive discrete Arc GPU is designed specifically for systems like yours and if you need a bit more GPU power, the 1050 and 1050 TI are certainly options for you.

Every single one of the 1050's that I have come across, need extra power plug.

The 1050 and 1050 TI come in stand-alone and power-plug supported designs, depending on the intended usage and designed (overclocked) clock-speeds of the card. I have both GPUs in compact, stand-alone designs that I have put in mini-ITX builds. The 1050 stand-alone is a very common OEM card in slightly older Dell and HP non-gaming machines, so it's easy to get one online.

Thanks for the info. I might just have to wait, untill a correct card show up for sale. Untill then, I have that RX550 that I have bought. Dimentionally wise it fits perfect, but are still on its way.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 24 of 26, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2023-04-03, 09:25:
SPBHM wrote on 2023-04-02, 16:35:
brostenen wrote on 2023-04-01, 15:26:

I just need office/productivity/web-surfing/mail/home-banking use and then as a tool for my other vintage stuff. With the CPU it has, then it is onboard Intel 610 or something. But only display port output. I would prefer DVI or HDMI as that is what my monitor takes.

For gaming it would be Minecraft and a couple of emulators. Like Snes and Mame. You know, that stuff.

I think the Intel IGP is adequate for that, display port to HDMI or DVI adapters are easy to find and cheap afaik

yes, i find the 'whatever is on board' graphics fine for this kind of thing on almost any machine and would happily use an adapter

i thought minecraft was meant to be a bit more demanding though, i don't play it so not sure

My experience with Linux and GPU are just the basic Intel 950 to 4000 wich are onboard stuff. It works great on the average non gaming stuff. But I love Minecraft and for that I need that extra umpf. I do have an old Mac Mini from 2009. It has Core2Duo and GF 9400m gfx. And it is set up as a XP machine. On that I play a somewhat 10 year old version of Minecraft. I actually bought it for a writing tool with OsX Snow Leopard (10.6), but I was curious on how XP and gaming is on this machine. It turns out that it can do XP games up to around 2006 fluid in 1024x768 in 32bit colours. But Minecraft version 1.7 really begins to lag a bit, when I start building giant things.

Reply 25 of 26, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Posting from my HP Prodesk 600 G3 MT machine, with Radeon RX550, running the Linux distro called Ubunty Mate 22.04 and I had Minecraft Demo version running just to test it out. Running smooth.
Regarding issues with Linux and Radeon, then I see absolutely nothing at all. Works fully out of the box, without having to install extra drivers.

It is a nice little quiet machine. I installed a second harddrive as /home partition. Not a fast one, just a 5400rpm. But it is a 500 gigabyte drive and it is spinning platter and not SSD.
The OS and program's drive are the 250 gigabyte SSD that came with the machine.

EDIT:
The only issue I encountered during installation and setup, was that Ubuntu Mate 22.04 do not have the Ambiant-Mate theme and icons. I basically had to copy them from my HP ProBook.
I simply, can not live without that theme and those icons. My daily driver have those as default, and I have gotten used to them since 2016. It was a major relief when they got installed.

Reply 26 of 26, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HP computers are excellent and also allows you to install windows without needing a COA key.

I have several now and newest member added to HP computer herd is HP mini 800 G5 with i5 and removed hard drive spinner with it's caddy, upgraded to NVME 1TB WD Black and added matched another 16GB to the current 16GB memory for 32GB total. I needed to purchase was expensive for first time in order to learn and train on servicing windows 11. Boots up in 10 seconds.
Nice thing about this one it has second slot for second NVME SSD!

At local computer store did not have WD Black NVME with attached heatsink so had to purchase EK NVME heatsink based on several conditions due to physical limitations in this mini plus I require spring clamps which is rare feature, most of them out there is screws or silicone rubber bands (!!) and fins too narrow and too fine pitch or solid. The HP NVME heatsinks is designed badly (wire clamps exceeded width limitations). The best one is not available yet is from a latest HP workstataion Z mini (springs within the heatsink width).

Windows 11 really likes to have 64GB judging by how it handles the memory resources. One day I'll splurge and get set of 64GB.

Heat is nearly nothing, I was careful to purchase one that is 65W version as it has 3 differences, one is top cover has grille vent, second is heatsink is copper instead of aluminum, finally third, the motherboard has one more phase for the CPU Vcore VRM for total of 4 phases instead of three.

Maximum CPU it can take is i9-9900 which is extremely nice to know.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.