VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm frequently looking around on ebay to pick up good deals on old PC gear (I hate the terms vintage and retro, they're consumerism buzz words used to misrepresent the actual value of something), and it's interesting to see what some items sell for vs others. The most recent example, I was looking around for a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 to put in a 1999 era PC, saw one go up for auction for a few bucks plus about $6 shipping, and it was just the bare card in anti-static bag, so I added it to my watch list to bid at the end. Well the last minute, it shot up to over $20, so I didn't even bother bidding, and it ended at over $22. Now granted that's not a lot of money, but that's around $30 for an old SB Live! 5.1 after shipping and tax, and I have picked up all of the Creative Live! and Audigy/Audigy 2 sound cards I have for much less than that. Just surprised me that it sold for that much as it's not exactly rare. I ended up buying an original Audigy for this particular PC for $14 shipped, as I don't care much for period correctness with sound cards and it's a step up from the Live! 5.1.

Anyway just an observation and an interesting scenario. Unless of course I missed the memo that the Live! 5.1 is suddenly highly collectible.

Reply 1 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brawndo wrote on 2023-04-03, 18:15:

I'm frequently looking around on ebay to pick up good deals on old PC gear (I hate the terms vintage and retro, they're consumerism buzz words used to misrepresent the actual value of something), and it's interesting to see what some items sell for vs others. The most recent example, I was looking around for a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 to put in a 1999 era PC, saw one go up for auction for a few bucks plus about $6 shipping, and it was just the bare card in anti-static bag, so I added it to my watch list to bid at the end. Well the last minute, it shot up to over $20, so I didn't even bother bidding, and it ended at over $22.

Happened to me sometimes during my Ebay buying spree between 2005-2009, where the price suddenly shot up in the last minute despite the item wasn't rare at all. It didn't only happen in PC parts market, but other categories as well. I heard some rumors back then that some sellers used fake accounts (or collaborate with others) to pump up the price during last minutes.

However, that was then. Ebay was pretty much a chaotic place back then, where payment using Western Union and even cash in envelope were still allowed. I don't know it's still possible today. Perhaps your experience is an exception?

Now granted that's not a lot of money, but that's around $30 for an old SB Live! 5.1 after shipping and tax, and I have picked up all of the Creative Live! and Audigy/Audigy 2 sound cards I have for much less than that. Just surprised me that it sold for that much as it's not exactly rare. I ended up buying an original Audigy for this particular PC for $14 shipped, as I don't care much for period correctness with sound cards and it's a step up from the Live! 5.1.

Anyway just an observation and an interesting scenario. Unless of course I missed the memo that the Live! 5.1 is suddenly highly collectible.

SB Live 5.1 was offered for around 7 dollars here in a local online marketplace, despite they're being rarer here than on Ebay. Also, it only supports EAX 1 and EAX 2, which is also supported by non-Creative sound cards, so I don't think SB Live 5.1 should be expensive.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We are in the process of a big clear-out before moving internationally. I don't understand what sells and what doesn't. Not just in computers but will focus on that as that's what this forum is about.

I've had a PCI Matrox G450 and sealed (but not boxed) copy of Office 2000 Small Business sell right away rather then wait the end of a £1 auction to finish.
Old versions of Office for Mac seem popular. Sealed OEM copy of Office 2003 Pro no interest.
2MB ATI Mach 64 PCI just sold for £1.20 not much but not a desirable card either. I would also say the Radeon HD3650 isn't that desirable but it is AGP and passively cooled so thought it would go for more then £16?
Entry level PCI-E Quadro cards no interest.

I think some things sell to people new to the hobby who see the "famous" names but don't really know the pro's and cons. Say the SBLive. It's almost the default Win9x soundcard, not knowing later cards like the Audigy are options. but in other cases people are just strange

Reply 3 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Monkey see, monkey do. Bunch of famous youtubers reviewed some obscure hardware? Shut up and take my money!

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2023-04-06, 09:33:

We are in the process of a big clear-out before moving internationally.

Coming back to AU?

I did a big clear out recently because we moved interstate - probs 90% of my collection sold off / given away. It felt great to clear out all of that stuff and no regrets with my decisions... yet.

All the best with the move.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 11, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2023-04-06, 11:51:
Coming back to AU? […]
Show full quote

Coming back to AU?

I did a big clear out recently because we moved interstate - probs 90% of my collection sold off / given away. It felt great to clear out all of that stuff and no regrets with my decisions... yet.

Man, I'm curious: definitely we must agree 'great' is great everywhere, right? But did you feel some kind of release or freedom after doing away with most of your stuff? Was it 'liberating' to you?

As I get slightly older, I have come to terms more with accepting what I like and not look out for a fifth leg on my cat so much...(overthink it) But the question starts to resonate: is it actually good to have so much l don't even get to use on my daily going?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 6 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2023-04-06, 11:51:
Coming back to AU? […]
Show full quote

Coming back to AU?

indeed!
Managed to bring 2 complete LPX 486's and a dual slot 1 rig plus shoebox of SCSI drives and the SC55 in me and my son's luggage last years trip so wont be starting from scratch
Will probably bring a few more, but it has made me have a hard look at my collection and your right, deciding to get rid of some of the lesser used machines is kind of liberating. kind of declutter, or focus on the main interests and not get side tracked with lesser projects.

Reply 7 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subhuman@xgtx wrote on 2023-04-06, 13:47:

But did you feel some kind of release or freedom after doing away with most of your stuff? Was it 'liberating' to you?

Yes it did feel liberating but nothing's ever black and white - the positive vibes were mixed up with the whole package of moving somewhere new. Having less crap also helps me appreciate the few things I did keep more, but I think it's different for everyone. Having a large collection makes a lot of folks happy I'm sure, it depends on the person and their situation.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 11, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm frequently looking around on ebay to pick up good deals on old PC gear (I hate the terms vintage and retro, they're consumerism buzz words used to misrepresent the actual value of something), and it's interesting to see what some items sell for vs others. The most recent example, I was looking around for a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 to put in a 1999 era PC, saw one go up for auction for a few bucks plus about $6 shipping, and it was just the bare card in anti-static bag, so I added it to my watch list to bid at the end. Well the last minute, it shot up to over $20, so I didn't even bother bidding, and it ended at over $22. Now granted that's not a lot of money, but that's around $30 for an old SB Live! 5.1 after shipping and tax, and I have picked up all of the Creative Live! and Audigy/Audigy 2 sound cards I have for much less than that. Just surprised me that it sold for that much as it's not exactly rare. I ended up buying an original Audigy for this particular PC for $14 shipped, as I don't care much for period correctness with sound cards and it's a step up from the Live! 5.1.

Shill bidding is a thing too, when you see very low feedback bidders with 100% activity on that one item with only that seller its a good indication the seller is pulling a fast one.

I once got into a bid war with such a bidder, it was clear to me they were driving the sell price up to around the same level other similar items were selling for ..I thought fuck this guy and let him take the final bid at ~500 USD, saw the exact item back up for sale a week later this time with a BIN option and a rather terse message about bad bidders. (funniest thing was the BIN price was dang close to what other similar items were selling for)

Was I wrong to do this ..perhaps but I wouldn't have done it unless I was damn sure it was a shill bid to drive the price up.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't be a dick, experienced buyers can spot shill bidding from a mile away and the only person getting hurt here is you, if a specific price for an item is what you want ..just add a BIN option along with the Auction.

Reply 9 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There might be some doing a scam with 2 shills, where if they see you making some serious bidding early on, they put in one shill then if you don't bid again, run another shill to bump price higher, then claiming "bad bidders" offer you the item at closing price... I had that happen a couple of times, and I told them I'd pay the highest bid I had before the two non-serious bidders got in, and they both were a bit nasty about it in reply.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 11, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some weirdness for sure on ebay. I bid £152 on an item a while ago but it sold for £205. The next day the seller sent me a second chance of £152 (which was my bid). Started at £150. Three others (only one a zero feedback) bid it up to £205.

Reply 11 of 11, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
We are in the process of a big clear-out before moving internationally. I don't understand what sells and what doesn't. Not just […]
Show full quote

We are in the process of a big clear-out before moving internationally. I don't understand what sells and what doesn't. Not just in computers but will focus on that as that's what this forum is about.

I've had a PCI Matrox G450 and sealed (but not boxed) copy of Office 2000 Small Business sell right away rather then wait the end of a £1 auction to finish.
Old versions of Office for Mac seem popular. Sealed OEM copy of Office 2003 Pro no interest.
2MB ATI Mach 64 PCI just sold for £1.20 not much but not a desirable card either. I would also say the Radeon HD3650 isn't that desirable but it is AGP and passively cooled so thought it would go for more then £16?
Entry level PCI-E Quadro cards no interest.

I think some things sell to people new to the hobby who see the "famous" names but don't really know the pro's and cons. Say the SBLive. It's almost the default Win9x soundcard, not knowing later cards like the Audigy are options. but in other cases people are just strange

maybe you had some selective buyers, for instance an old ATI mach is fine for a basic build but won't get people excited and the Radeon is a good AGP choice but not a well known 'famous' model

the office software collectors surprise me a bit more, but i know some like to have the physical disks - and maybe they are for use by someone who knows an old version really well

to be honest when i buy ebay i lose bids far more often than i win so i dont get lots of things, but i do tend to get the middle of the road things that start with low prices (and low postage) and dont attract huge attention