VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just watched the DOTT intro for the 1001th time. The music is just great. I always listened to the GM soundtrack but today I tried it with my MT-32 and it's very nice, too. The intro is so funny and the music so well used to enhance the experience. Lucasarts guys were GODS back then.

The comic like sounds, the different moods from idyllic to spooky, the musical humour (Hoagie surfing with the Chron-O-John) all make up a great game experience. (Notice how everyone has his own musical persona) If you haven't watched the intro yet, get yourself a decent GM-softsynth and do it now!

I just realized again how I like polished games. A good intro was always very important to me. It's very much the same with movies. It's all about immersing the audience and demonstrating how much love and work got into the product from the first to the last minute.

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, that fond memories. Pity that newer graphic adventures are mostly 3D crap. 😒

I've always thought polygons don't get too well with graphical adventures. I prefer artistic graphics drawn by artists and then digitised into the computer.

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2005-07-22, 17:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which LucasArts games have native support for GM instead of just MT-32? I play them all in SCUMMVM and it's so good at adapting each game to work however you want that it's impossible to tell what it was originally designed to support.

Reply 3 of 4, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd say GM support started with Day of the Tentacle and ended somewhere in the CD digital audio era. Fate of Atlantis was still only Adlib/MT-32 but perhaps GM support was added in the talkie version.