VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 260 of 419, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

The only memory managers that work with the SoftMPU program are only emm386 and qemm at the moment.

Since Jemm386 is part of FreeDOS, the memory manager doesn't work with the software quite yet since the SoftMPU program needs sets of instructions or commands to allow Jemm386 to work with the SoftMPU program itself.

Thanks for answer, well no choice, dual boot for now

I love to find alternatives to the "reset" button 😀

thanks

Reply 261 of 419, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys,

sorry double post, but I will answer my question myself, about how to load emm386 from command line

This software DEVICE works great with emm386 and softmpu

http://www.drdos.net/tools.htm

load device drivers at the prompt: device.com (1.5 KB)

Just need to do a batch, for every game, very simple

device emm386.exe noems
softmpu /Sb:5.. etc
game.exe

Works great!

And softmpu can be removed too

ftp://ftp.radiomaryja.pl.eu.org/vol/rzm1/simt … il/tsr-rem1.zip

In this case the batch can be

device emm386.exe noems mark softmpu /Sb:5.. etc game.exe tsr-rem […]
Show full quote

device emm386.exe noems
mark
softmpu /Sb:5.. etc
game.exe
tsr-rem

Reply 262 of 419, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Figured I'd mention that SoftMPU's "/RA50" switch should also be useful if happen to own an Aztech Sound Galaxy Wave Power DB, which likewise ignores the All Notes Off MIDI message (thanks, Ensoniq!).

Reply 263 of 419, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Call me stupid, but my Celeron433 is not so fast for ScummVM, I tried to run SoftMPU in Fullscreen-Dos under running Win98se.
It does not work because it does not detect the started emm386.exe memory-manger. Is there any chance to run softmpu
under started Win98se?

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 266 of 419, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Question: how does one simply make a VxD file for Windows 9x? On top of that, when I run my K6-2/300 PC at full throttle, NHL Hockey 95 seems to have bad or incorrect notes, while underclocking the CPU from 300MHz to 166MHz, the notes are correct, however, the game doesn't seem to like Pure DOS or DOS Mode in Windows 98SE, except for running it in command prompt or just opening the file itself. In Windows 98SE, the notes are correct and everything works ok, except the music slows down a little bit until I hit a key and then it goes back to normal speed.

The reason why I use 300MHz is because DOOM gets 20FPS on average when clocked @ 166MHz, and I get about 95FPS on average between MS-DOS and Windows 98SE at full throttle (300MHz). I tried to use the slowdown program, but that didn't do a dent in MS-DOS, but Windows seems to be getting there. I hate to use a slowdown program in Windows because it can cause my system to freeze up constantly.

Programs for the MPU401 used in between Windows 98SE and MS-DOS:

MS-DOS
- Sound Blaster Drivers
- SoftMPU v1.9

Windows 98SE
- Sound Blaster Drivers (in the autoexec.bat file)
- Sound Blaster MPU401 Fix (sbmpu401.exe)

Hell, in Windows 3.11, NHL Hockey 95 ran like a champ without issues, especially in full speed @ 300MHz.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 267 of 419, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not have a native MPU401i Card in my PII, therefore I need softmpu to run games that require the i-mode.
Does "Sbmpu401.exe" fix something for the i-mode I require?

Reply 269 of 419, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx, beside the "overpowered" Dos/Win-Machine, I have another problem with a low-end one.

Current-Setup:
A2K A2286/8
ISA16 - VGA ET4K
ISA16 - CT2910
ISA16 - MPU401i

Currently no efficient HDD-Storage available. Perhaps changing the Soundcard could help (ESS with prim. HDD Interface non PNP)

Softmpu requires EMM386. I have a A2386 arriving soon.

I will change the setup to:

A2K A2386/25
ISA16 - VGA ET4K
ISA16 - CT2910 or other Soundcard
ISA16 - MULTI/IO IDE (LTP/COM)

Is it possible to connect the MT32 to the Soundcard (should go for one with hanging notes bug) or with a serial connection with the Multi/IO ?
Has the A2386/sx25 enough power to run the softmpu? What sould be better, connection to the soundcard or to the serial-port of the multi/io?

Reply 270 of 419, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should be OK. SoftMPU only slows the host significantly when in IRQ generation mode, and the games that enable that mode are not demanding.

Definitely better to connect to the the soundcard, if you can find one without hanging notes.
An early SB16 would be ideal, or alternatively a YMF card or similar.

Reply 271 of 419, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx! What Soundcard whould You go for? (386-sx25, no hanging notes, no pnp, perhaps sbpro, dss?)

EDIT:
Does this one change anything? http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles … /opcode64x.html
I bought it, because I have some machines that I would like to connect to the mt32 (like PC's, Amigas, Macs, AtariST)

Reply 274 of 419, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Has SoftMPU been tested with EMM386 from OpenDOS?

No, does it work?

Cadderlik wrote:

Has anybody tried softMPU with SB AVE 64 GOLD and Roland MT-32 connected to midi port in that card?

Yes, check out the supported cards list:
https://github.com/bjt42/softmpu/wiki/Compatible-Sound-Cards

Reply 275 of 419, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjt wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Has SoftMPU been tested with EMM386 from OpenDOS?

No, does it work?

Not sure. I'll try to test it in the next few days.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 276 of 419, by dJOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjt wrote:

G'day BJT, i found your software via this forum yesterday and just finished reading all 14 pages of this topic! Amazing work!

I'm just building a retr0 PC from parts I had lying around, it's a little over powered but I'm hoping it'll work anyway. It's a K6-III+ 500Mhz, 256MB ram, 4GB CF-Microdrive, SB16 CT2940 (non-OPL3 version unfortunately), Geforce 6200-PCI, Intel PCI NIC, DVD-RW and so on.

I'm hoping it will still work fine with my MT-32 (which works great in DOSBox on my Mac Mini via USB UM-One Mk2) for Sierra & Lucas Arts games.

My SB16 apparently has the hanging note issue, is there any way SoftMPU can mitigate this?

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Reply 277 of 419, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dJOS wrote:
G'day BJT, i found your software via this forum yesterday and just finished reading all 14 pages of this topic! Amazing work! […]
Show full quote
bjt wrote:

G'day BJT, i found your software via this forum yesterday and just finished reading all 14 pages of this topic! Amazing work!

I'm just building a retr0 PC from parts I had lying around, it's a little over powered but I'm hoping it'll work anyway. It's a K6-III+ 500Mhz, 256MB ram, 4GB CF-Microdrive, SB16 CT2940 (non-OPL3 version unfortunately), Geforce 6200-PCI, Intel PCI NIC, DVD-RW and so on.

I'm hoping it will still work fine with my MT-32 (which works great in DOSBox on my Mac Mini via USB UM-One Mk2) for Sierra & Lucas Arts games.

My SB16 apparently has the hanging note issue, is there any way SoftMPU can mitigate this?

No, it's a hardware problem with certain Creative sound cards and not something that can be fixed via software.

However, I doubt that you will come across any hanging note problems with your MT-32 based games, since most MT-32 based games didn't have digitised sound effects and the MIDI hanging note bug was limited to only certain games that were developed on certain "engines". And, practically all of these were released after General MIDI became the standard.

Reply 279 of 419, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested SoftMPU on my Aztech Sound Galaxy WaveRider Pro 32-3D AZT2316R, with a genuine OPL3 chipset, and it does work to some extent, except certain games don't like to play music when testing it, for example, Star Wars TIE Fighter. Mainly because I might've configured it wrong. Before hand, it would refuse to load since dummy me didn't install the drivers for the sound card within MS-DOS.

Edit: a couple of months ago from today (Aug. 16th), I figured I plugged in the MIDI in cable to the MIDI out on the SC-55. Always check the connections beforehand and only use the MIDI out cable to the MIDI in on the MIDI box (Roland MT-32, SC-55, etc.)

I'm also going to build drivers for Windows 98/98SE with a Driver Development Kit, but Visual Studio 6 doesn't like the files, so I'm going to install Visual Studio 5 on my computer and make said driver, and beta test it to see if it'll work. If it does, I'll have everyone test it out. If it doesn't make the cut, I'll have someone give me some pointers on how to build said driver.

Wish me luck.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser