VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been trying all day to get my CD version of Xanth to run with this so I can get MT-32 and speech.

I'm trying to get it to run on a 486 DX4 100mhz with a CT 4170 SB16 Vibra
SoftMPU detects and loads, but the speech effects cause the MT-32 music to freeze or crash the game.

I also tried it with a CT2770. SoftMPU detects and loads, but Xanth will not run. It just black screens on boot if SoftMPU is resident.
I also tried it with a CT2290, and it sometimes doesn't work at all, and still has the speech IRQ conflict.

Is there anything I can do to make this work besides spending $100+ on a real MPU-401 card?

Reply 2 of 3, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

works just fine in DOSBox on a real MT-32 using the Intelligent MPU-401 emulator built in.

I managed to get the Sound Blaster Vibra and CT2290 to work together at the same time in DOS, and got SoftMPU set up on one with at 240/I7/D3/H7/P330 and the other at 220/I5/D1/H1/P300.
The music and sound both play now, but now the MT32 seems to die out after about 30-40 seconds of playing music.

It still gets the System messages and seems to blink as if it's receiving data, but I have to reset the computer to get it to work again.

Reply 3 of 3, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The small number of games that use both MPU interrupts and digital sound are problematic as the same IRQ is used for both. Some are fine, some not depending on how their sound routines are written.

However it should be OK with two cards. Maybe try the non-talkie version.