VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried to use SOFTMPU on my SBPRO to get a yamaha xg and Soundcanvas external module working at the sounds are all wrong with dosmid and inside games.

THe wrong instruments are being played for the wrong channels, all sounds subtly out of tune, even when configured for Soundcanvas.

It occurs to me that this might be MT-32 only, my understanding of how all this works is a bit muddled.

Reply 1 of 12, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I unplugged and reset everything and Might and Magic IV intro now sounds great on my Soundcanvas using softmpu off of a SBPRO. It sounds like ass on this xg QY70 module I picked up a long time ago though. Maybe it's not GM compatible or needs to be set up properly.

Reply 2 of 12, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As the game is from the early time when the GM standard was being hammered out, it's more of an MT-32 title than a GM one in many people's opinion, but it does work with GM. Given that, you definitely have a config or hardware issue, as the QY70 should sound pretty darn good. That being said, it's entirely possible that the QY70 is not compatible with SoftMPU, as the software doesn't work well with Yamaha gear and the unit was only intended to be used with Windows/Mac software for low-end composition work and was never intended (or should be) to be used for DOS or Windows gaming.

Reply 4 of 12, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, the reason why there is an endless supply of QY-XG modules available is that they are simply useless to anyone who isn't going to dabble in music composition. For gamers, the line offers nothing really, since it has no GS mode/compatibility in any of the products and the polyphony is capped at 32. Anyway, here is the QY70 manual, which might help you sort out your problem, which seems like a host connectivity issue.

https://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/docs_manuals/ya … qy70_manual.pdf

Reply 5 of 12, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think SoftMPU is required for external modules that don't require intelligent mode? My understanding is that SoftMPU is for use with the MT-32 only. You should be able to just connect your Sound Canvas (without running SoftMPU) and games should play fine on it, unless the game is configured incorrectly, etc.

[Edit] I stand corrected! Thanks.

Last edited by newtmonkey on 2022-05-18, 04:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 12, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2022-05-18, 03:48:

I don't think SoftMPU is required for external modules that don't require intelligent mode? My understanding is that SoftMPU is for use with the MT-32 only. You should be able to just connect your Sound Canvas (without running SoftMPU) and games should play fine on it, unless the game is configured incorrectly, etc.

Using any external MIDI module with a real SBPro requires Sound Blaster MIDI mode since it doesn't have any MPU-401 compatible interface onboard.

SoftMPU has a command line switch which is /OUTPUT:SBMIDI for that purpose, but compatibility is decreased in that mode. Same goes for DOSMid which has the /sbmidi parameter, eliminating the need for SoftMPU for this application.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 7 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tangentially related: when I use SB-MIDI on my SBPro 1 I get some really ugly noise through the digital audio in the sound blaster. Not a dealbreaker since you can't use the PCM and MIDI at the same time anyway, so you can just turn down the volume on the card. But I found it odd

Reply 8 of 12, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of the repro MPU401 cards to install on my 386 (alongside sbpro) but what's the fun of these cool utilities if you don't try them out?

What exactly (or generally?)) does reduced compatibility mean? Some games won't work that normaly would? Missing/incorrect sounds? Both?

Reply 9 of 12, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The QY-70 does seem to work perfectly as an external midi module if set up correctly.

From an external forum:

ON QY70 and QY100:
1) Press Menu->F4 (Utility)
2) Press Menu->F2 (MIDI)
3) Move cursor to ‘ECHO BACK’ and turn it off (using +/- buttons)
4) Press Exit
THEN
1) Press Menu->F4 (Fingered Zone
2) Move cursor to MIDI Channels and change to ALL (using +/- buttons)

I'll test it out with softmpu and sbmidi mode this evening, but it sounds DAMN good on a sb16 mpu currently.

Reply 10 of 12, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decreased compatibility with Sound Blaster MIDI mode is what maxtherabbit exactly said: no digitized sounds effects (not counting the ones coming from the MIDI device) and MIDI at the same time.

Edit: Removed statement related to dedicated MPU-401 card as the OP doesn't have it installed.

Last edited by Gmlb256 on 2022-05-18, 21:44. Edited 1 time in total.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 11 of 12, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-05-18, 21:26:

Decreased compatibility means that intelligent mode won't work and like maxtherabbit said you can't use both digitized sounds and MIDI at the same time. This only applies when the MIDI device is connected to the SBPro gameport and you can disregard the statement that I mentioned since you have a dedicated MPU-401 card (this is something that you should have pointed out in your first post on this thread).

The first post on the thread was regarding using my sbpro. I didn't have the MPU installed at that point, I was exploring how softmpu worked. It had no bearing on the first post.

Reply 12 of 12, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenerb wrote on 2022-05-18, 21:35:

The first post on the thread was regarding using my sbpro. I didn't have the MPU installed at that point, I was exploring how softmpu worked. It had no bearing on the first post.

Ok, then what I said about Sound Blaster MIDI mode still applies in this thread.