VOGONS

First post, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I made a dedicated dgVoodoo 2 page on PCGamingWiki. There is not much info there yet, so if you have something useful to write like Glide instructions(I never used it for Glide, so I have no experience with it) or some advanced features, options and tricks available in the config file feel free to add to the page:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/DgVoodoo_2

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 1 of 7, by mrpenguinb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I added lots of content for Configuring DirectX in dgVoodoo2 to the page, if you want to check it out. 😀

Some options could be more extrapolated by Dege, since there are some settings that could have more information that is relevant.

Reply 2 of 7, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrpenguinb wrote:

I added lots of content for Configuring DirectX in dgVoodoo2 to the page, if you want to check it out. 😀

Some options could be more extrapolated by Dege, since there are some settings that could have more information that is relevant.

Yes, I've been watching 😉

Still no one wrote anything about Glide or explained when and how to use the more advanced settings in the config file.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 3 of 7, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
antrad wrote:
mrpenguinb wrote:

Yes, I've been watching 😉

Still no one wrote anything about Glide or explained when and how to use the more advanced settings in the config file.

I only know that DepthBuffersBitDepth = forcemin24bit will help with z-fighting (that's how its called?) issues in games like Simon the Sorcerer 3d..

Reply 4 of 7, by mrpenguinb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
antrad wrote:

I updated the page (finally) with the basics of the Glide options and specification of 3Dfx cards.
A lot of the wording is weird, as Dege didn't write the tool-tips for Glide very well compared to the DirectX tool-tips.

Enabling 16-bit depth buffers can prevent Z-fighting in games, but also has the disadvantage of possibly causing artifacting.
I have reached the limit of my knowledge of dgVoodoo, if anyone else can fill in the gaps, do so.

I don't know the hidden Glide options or what they do (or even that they existed).
Unfortunately, there are no hidden options for Glide AFAIK, all the options in the .config file are used in the GUI of dgVoodoo.

Reply 5 of 7, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for your work, I appreciate it!! 😎

mrpenguinb wrote:

A lot of the wording is weird, as Dege didn't write the tool-tips for Glide very well compared to the DirectX tool-tips.

I'm open to modify the tooltip texts if needed, which ones do you think of?

For Glide however, there are not much to explain (but I could easily be wrong). The options are mostly about the 3Dfx card type, its video memory, texture memory and the number of texturing units (2 if multitexture-capable), but the selected 3Dfx card in fact determines the other properties I enumerated.
So, for general usage from the user perspective, just select your 3Dfx card, or better, leave the default multitexturing-capable Voodoo2 selected, then select your forced resolution, MSAA, whether you want the 3Dfx logo and splashscreen, and you're done. One minor thing: if a game runs with low fps or HUD glitches (e.g. missing transparency) with those settings then let's enable 'Force emulating true PCI access' and try again.

mrpenguinb wrote:

I don't know the hidden Glide options or what they do (or even that they existed).

There aren't many for Glide, only the ones related to the image dithering. dgVoodoo renders in 32 bit quality by default but you can change that behavior through those options, enabling true dithering to achieve retro-look.

mrpenguinb wrote:

Unfortunately, there are no hidden options for Glide AFAIK, all the options in the .config file are used in the GUI of dgVoodoo.

You can access all of the options through the CPL GUI. *Ext and Debug sections are hidden on the CPL panel by default. You can unhide them by right-clicking on the CPL and enable them in the context menu.

Reply 6 of 7, by mrpenguinb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Thanks for your work, I appreciate it!! 😎

😳 My pleasure, I find it fun documenting things. Your wrapper is amazing, I really appreciate your work (how do you get things to work so well?)

Dege wrote:

I'm open to modify the tooltip texts if needed, which ones do you think of?

16-bit depth buffer could be rewritten. "but also to have other artifacts." It should be "but artifacting will occur" (or could occur). Not sure if I understand the sentence.
3Dfx watermark "Enables displaying the 3Dfx logo (shamelss plug) during the gameplay" should be "Enables displaying of the 3Dfx logo (shameless plug) during gameplay"
3Dfx card "- limiting onboard/texture memory cozily" should be "- limiting onboard/texture memory may be costly" , also "It depends on the application you configurate for." configurate should be configure instead.

These are all nitpicks, there are even more minor errors (wouldn't mind correcting those too). Otherwise, the DirectX tooltips are very good.

Dege wrote:

One minor thing: if a game runs with low fps or HUD glitches (e.g. missing transparency) with those settings then let's enable 'Force emulating true PCI access' and try again.
You can access all of the options through the CPL GUI. *Ext and Debug sections are hidden on the CPL panel by default. You can unhide them by right-clicking on the CPL and enable them in the context menu.

I feel like I discovered a hidden room or an ancient ruin. There are so many options! 😵
I will be sure to update the article with more info. 😁

Reply 7 of 7, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrpenguinb wrote:

😳 My pleasure, I find it fun documenting things. Your wrapper is amazing, I really appreciate your work (how do you get things to work so well?)

Thanks!! (a lot of workhours is been poured into it + I get precious feedback here) 😀

mrpenguinb wrote:

16-bit depth buffer could be rewritten. "but also to have other artifacts." It should be "but artifacting will occur" (or could occur). Not sure if I understand the sentence.3Dfx watermark "Enables displaying the 3Dfx logo (shamelss plug) during the gameplay" should be "Enables displaying of the 3Dfx logo (shameless plug) during gameplay"3Dfx card "- limiting onboard/texture memory cozily" should be "- limiting onboard/texture memory may be costly" , also "It depends on the application you configurate for." configurate should be configure instead.

Ok, I think you're right, it's my English... 😀
However when writing "limiting onboard/texture memory cozily" I meant that one could select a given 3Dfx card to limit the onboard/texture memory in an easy way (instead of directly fiddling with those properties). Say, I want to test a game with 4MB video memory without the capability of multitexturing then I just select 'Voodoo Graphics' instead of the default 'Voodoo 2'.

mrpenguinb wrote:

I feel like I discovered a hidden room or an ancient ruin. There are so many options! I will be sure to update the article with more info.

😁
Btw, those options are hidden by default in order to avoid tempting inexperienced/beginner users to experiment with them.