VOGONS

First post, by legion_pheonix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-01-17, 19:52:

I forgot to release 2.63.1. 😀

Good afternoon. Tell me how to fix fps in Severance Blade of Darkness.
The game works fine, but vsync seems to work poorly and frequent frames sometimes jump sharply. If you just run, you notice that the frequency sags during the animation. Maybe I think so, since I played the game 10 years ago.

Reply 2 of 16, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote on 2020-01-19, 00:01:

Enable "Fast Video Memory Access" in the DirectX tab 😉
VSync for me is working perfectly with NO modification.

Remember that the correct directory for the profile is the "BIN" one.

Nah, fast memory access does not help, Glide renderer still feels smoother.

Reply 3 of 16, by legion_pheonix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was already messing around with the settings. If you select D3d and throw DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll in the bin folder, you can still see that synchronization is not stable and fps jumps from 60 to 53.
If you set r3Dfx Voodoo 1-2.dll and throw the GlideXX.dll files - the same thing, fps visually jumps, although it can be seen that fps is even in overlay by 60.

Reply 4 of 16, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
legion_pheonix wrote on 2020-01-19, 09:06:

I was already messing around with the settings. If you select D3d and throw DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll in the bin folder, you can still see that synchronization is not stable and fps jumps from 60 to 53.
If you set r3Dfx Voodoo 1-2.dll and throw the GlideXX.dll files - the same thing, fps visually jumps, although it can be seen that fps is even in overlay by 60.

And it's perfectly normal, where's the problem? VSync is a cap to the framerate AND a synchronization technique (through several approaches) with the (virtual) monitor refresh rate.
It's not about "enforcing" a stable framerate.

Reply 5 of 16, by legion_pheonix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote on 2020-01-19, 13:59:

And it's perfectly normal, where's the problem? VSync is a cap to the framerate AND a synchronization technique (through several approaches) with the (virtual) monitor refresh rate.
It's not about "enforcing" a stable framerate.

Where is it normal if fps is unstable.
And visually the picture is torn on the monitor, if you just walk even.

Reply 6 of 16, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

?

VSync=60 FPS on a 60 Hz (virtual) monitor or below (emulating or not the "OpenGL double/triple buffering") with no tearing.
VSync is about the frame queue management in relation with the monitor refresh rate, it's NOT an "FPS limiter" nor an "FPS pacer" (but you can use it as a limiter).
dgVoodoo2 enables the VSync control in old DX1->8 era applications if present or can directly force it.....but only if you haven't disabled it in your VGA driver settings!

Reply 7 of 16, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As for Blade of Darkness: animation in games can be blocky even if the rendering itself is running at 60fps. The reason is that the animation may be bound to a timer, or some timing service instead of the refresh rate (like in Star Wars Phantom Menace).
I quickly tried out this game and it worked for me at 60fps with default settings (no fastvidmem access was required).
It sounds like a silly question, but what if you reboot your computer?
For some games using timeGetTime (a Windows function returning the elapsed time in ms since the boot) this is a problem because they weren't prepared in the Win98 days for a computer running more than 1 day I think, and they cannot handle too large values properly coming from the function.

Reply 8 of 16, by legion_pheonix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-01-19, 20:08:
As for Blade of Darkness: animation in games can be blocky even if the rendering itself is running at 60fps. The reason is that […]
Show full quote

As for Blade of Darkness: animation in games can be blocky even if the rendering itself is running at 60fps. The reason is that the animation may be bound to a timer, or some timing service instead of the refresh rate (like in Star Wars Phantom Menace).
I quickly tried out this game and it worked for me at 60fps with default settings (no fastvidmem access was required).
It sounds like a silly question, but what if you reboot your computer?
For some games using timeGetTime (a Windows function returning the elapsed time in ms since the boot) this is a problem because they weren't prepared in the Win98 days for a computer running more than 1 day I think, and they cannot handle too large values properly coming from the function.

I understood what the problem is.
In D3d DirectX mode, if you look at the sun or other light sources, the fps drops sharply.
How can this problem be solved? As for frame restriction animations, I understand that this is how the game initially works.

Reply 11 of 16, by legion_pheonix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-01-20, 22:44:

And fast video memory access doesn't help?
Could you give me a savegame for the level-position in question? (if it's possible)

No, it doesn’t help "fast video memory access"
This is the very first level for Barbarian.
I'll throw you on the game itself, with all the files.
https://mega.nz/#!YIZAmArQ!hpVZeLniAQIthyNMyB … qyEcFpZ_OaD9mWs

Reply 13 of 16, by legion_pheonix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-01-20, 22:44:

And fast video memory access doesn't help?
Could you give me a savegame for the level-position in question? (if it's possible)

Can you somehow help? Or decided to ignore me 🙁

Reply 14 of 16, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game reads back the backbuffer for rendering the sun.
Fast vidmem access helps but doesn't completely solves the problem. Try a low resolution (like 640x480) and upscale it thorugh dgVoodoo. That way it runs for me at 60fps.

Reply 15 of 16, by legion_pheonix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-02-09, 17:45:

The game reads back the backbuffer for rendering the sun.
Fast vidmem access helps but doesn't completely solves the problem. Try a low resolution (like 640x480) and upscale it thorugh dgVoodoo. That way it runs for me at 60fps.

Found a clue.
The game works stably when Max ISF resolution and the same ISF options are selected, then the sun does not flicker and there are no problems, a little FPS will say from 60 to 63, but this is most likely due to camera animation.
But if on ISF, then the 3D picture is a bit blurry.

Reply 16 of 16, by Nihilist_Militant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dege, is it possible to fully fix this problem in new versions of dgvoodoo? BoD really need perfect working D3D render, its true original for this game, but works normaly only in Windows XP witn DirectX 8.1 (even not DirectX 9, only 8.1). Why is this game so problematic? Another games with better graphics like Splinter Cell series works great with directx dgvoodoo, but this...