VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 120 of 3949, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I did some testing using my Revenant (1999) discs. Initially I would get the effect I described earlier. As soon as I killed everything logitech related it ran.
Pretty funky business if you ask me.
Thanks for the tip swaaye!

Yeah I figured this out when I was trying to play Deus Ex Invisible War and it would always load to a black screen. I stumbled on a forum post that said Setpoint was the problem and it indeed was. Since then I've run into Setpoint evil with old games and installers quite a few times.

Reply 121 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I paused development of dgVoodoo for months but now released a new version.
Not much news though, the only feature is adding first version of DirectDraw emulation, didn't really touched the Glide renderer (except for minor changes).

I hope releasing this (say, intermediate) version that was getting dust on my HD inspires me to finish what I wanted.

Couldn't run/get Turok2 and Sim so they probably behaves the same with this version. However I was "playing" with scene demo Zertva which has incorrectly rendered polygons but couldn't find any bug. It's wrong in the same way with Zeckensack's wrapper too but I could hardly believe it was released to the compo with such bugs. I don't have a clue how it renders on a real 3Dfx hw.

Reply 124 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dug up old confirmation from Zeus of nGlide, he tested Žertva with nGlide 1.01 release last year.

[Windows-Glide][Geometry glitches]

EDIT: Made thread here.
http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=659

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 125 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
Dug up old confirmation from Zeus of nGlide, he tested Žertva with nGlide 1.01 release last year. […]
Show full quote

Dug up old confirmation from Zeus of nGlide, he tested Žertva with nGlide 1.01 release last year.

[Windows-Glide][Geometry glitches]

EDIT: Made thread here.
http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=659

Thanks!

Reply 126 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gamecollector in that thread says running on real Voodoo2 hardware had similar bugs and will post video later.

I'm starting to wonder if Zertva EVER ran correctly.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 127 of 3949, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.4shared.com/video/ahEwkQ4Hba/Zertva.html
I don't have a video capture board. This was recorded to webcam.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 128 of 3949, by Advent-nurse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I'm trying to run Redguard with dgVoodoo 2.3 but haven't been succesful so far. Made a rather extensive topic about it here: Redguard and 3dfx

I'm trying to figure out if the problem lies with dgVoodo (or nGlide), the combination of dgVoodo and Windows 8 64-bit, or that it's just a matter of using the right settings. Should the game be able to start up at least? Anybody with an idea?

Reply 129 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@GameCollector
@Stiletto

Thank you guys!!
After a lot of debugging I just gave up because I too was led to the conclusion that Zertva can't render good.
I think the guys made the D3D version first, entered that for the compo, and later made a 3Dfx version which was not finished. Or something like that.
(When I applied D3D-like clipping then it rendered quite good.)

@Advent-nurse

You wrote that 3Dfx version of Redguard does not even start just stop with a blank screen. It's not related to the glide wrappers but rather to an invalid game config file or something like that. Redguard works fine for me with DosBox. But as far as I remember, in the old days I too run into this blank-screen problem and had to step through its configurator to switch to SoundBlaster from Gravis Ultrasound. (Maybe I'm not right but the two separate version of Redguard executables uses different config files and lack of Gravis caused a lock at startup.)
The problem is that Redguard's configurator is a 16 bit Windows executable so it's hard to run it nowadays. 🙁

Reply 130 of 3949, by Advent-nurse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dege, thanks for the reply. I ran the DOS version of the configurator, but alas, it was already configured properly. If the wrapper's not the issue, it must be the DOSBox or wrapper settings, because Glidos works fine. Glidos uses a modified DOSBox 0.73 with psVoodoo but other than that, it doesn't look very special. Confusing stuff. If anyone has an idea, please let me know (in the topic I mentioned above).

Reply 131 of 3949, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try starting Redguard with fixed cycles at around 15.000. I haven't tested the game in a while, but long time ago fixed cycles were needed to show the loading screen. After the loading screen shows, you can switch to max.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 132 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to make sure if wrapper or not wrapper: try starting Redguard with dgVoodoo (>2.0) and when DosBox stalls with a blank screen, launch dgVoodooSetup. If you cannot see DosBox in the folder/instance selector combobox then it means that Redguard does not even open a Glide session.

Reply 134 of 3949, by Zeliboba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, everybody.
I have two problems. First: Glide emulation is not working on my desktop rig (AMD HD7970 on Windows 8.0). Applications just hangs at startup and I see the message that my gfx driver had been restarted. Tried every version of dgVoodoo 2 and several different gfx drivers. My second problem is ddraw emulation doesn't seem to be working. Tried it with Fallout Tactics and Vampire - The Masquerade - Redemption on my desktop and Asus transformer pad t100 with Windows 8.1 which is based on Intel Atom Z3740 with some integrated gfx. Fallout gives me the error about it unable to create primary and back surfaces and the Vampire just don't start at all. I have tried different settings but no luck.

Last edited by Zeliboba on 2014-01-28, 12:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 135 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Applications just hangs at startup and I see the message that my gfx driver had been restarted.

It sounds very bad. 😒
Hmm, maybe GPU querying should be removed from the wrapper. When I tested dgv2 (2.1) with an ATI card then it worked but the code got into infinite loop at exit and had to refactor querying.
The nice thing is querying is done just to implement two absolute unnecessary Glide functions.

My second problem is ddraw emulation doesn't seem to be working.

Well, I didn't tested it with too many games so it doesn't supposed to be a "too great" emulation. 😊
Also, there are known issues with it.

Reply 137 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for reply, Dege. Hope you'll continue to develop dgVoodoo.

Thanks. If i give you a wrapper version without GPU querying, could you plz test it to see if that is causing the problem?
Crashing the graphic driver strongly reminds me of the old days when ATI drivers usually crashed (BSOD) when D3D was run from NTVDM. 😵
If it's not querying then I have no a clue for the moment what it could be.

And as Microsoft left hardware support of pre DirectX8 APIs it would be great to have fully functional directdraw wrapper.

I think MS haven't dropped hw acceleration of early D3D versions. Even DirectDraw is hw accelerated on Win7/8 (even with WDDM) and supposed to work as it did on earlier Windows versions.
You may think of DirectSound. Indeed, hw acceleration is been chopped off beginning with Vista because MS thought losing it wouldn't cause great performance loss and tied that API to the new system audio mixer working with software processing. Altough this inferred losing some audio effects too, MS is basically right: (simple) realtime audio mixing can be done easily and fast on a modern CPU.
As for DirectDraw: it wasn't my goal to make a completely equivalent version of MS DDraw (but it not finished yet). It couldn't be done, unfortunately, because of cooperation of windows GDI and some other reasons. Also, reverse engineering of that is much worse than Glide. It has a lot of interfaces each working slightly different, millions of flags with not-so-well-defined valid cases of combinations, etc. 😀

Reply 138 of 3949, by Zeliboba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If i give you a wrapper version without GPU querying, could you plz test it to see if that is causing the problem?

Yes, of course!

I think MS haven't dropped hw acceleration of early D3D versions. Even DirectDraw is hw accelerated on Win7/8 (even with WDDM) and supposed to work as it did on earlier Windows versions.
You may think of DirectSound.

No, I am not talking about dsound. Maybe I didn't get it right, but any D3D 6,7 games run at 20-30 fps max in Windows 8 no matter which hardware is in use (at least in fullscreen mode). That is what I see on my desktop and judging by Google I am not alone. Pity, what it is so hard to make D3D/DDraw wrapper.