VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2240 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nightson wrote:

No watermark. I've tested with some old DirectX games (Ancient Evil, Blood II, etc.) and got the same result. I'll try a few Glide games to see if it will work.

Edit: I've tested with 3dfx and D3D exes of MDK. I managed to get the 3dfx version running. All the settings worked but the 3dfx splashscreen and watermark didn't show up even with the options already checked. Couldn't get it work with the D3D exe. Same result as before.

I have tried MDK and DX version is working properly, dgVoodoo renderer is recognized by the game.

Mdk%2525202016-07-02%25252016-32-50-41.jpg
Mdk%2525202016-07-02%25252016-33-12-62.jpg

Although the image cant be stretched as far as i tested. It does the same with the bundled nGlide in GOG version.

Reply 2241 of 3949, by nightson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stranno wrote:
I have tried MDK and DX version is working properly, dgVoodoo renderer is recognized by the game. […]
Show full quote
nightson wrote:

No watermark. I've tested with some old DirectX games (Ancient Evil, Blood II, etc.) and got the same result. I'll try a few Glide games to see if it will work.

Edit: I've tested with 3dfx and D3D exes of MDK. I managed to get the 3dfx version running. All the settings worked but the 3dfx splashscreen and watermark didn't show up even with the options already checked. Couldn't get it work with the D3D exe. Same result as before.

I have tried MDK and DX version is working properly, dgVoodoo renderer is recognized by the game.

Mdk%2525202016-07-02%25252016-32-50-41.jpg
Mdk%2525202016-07-02%25252016-33-12-62.jpg

Although the image cant be stretched as far as i tested. It does the same with the bundled nGlide in GOG version.

Thanks for the info. I have no idea why it doesn't work on my PC 🙁

Reply 2242 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

At start I want to thanks you for amazing work @Dege ! New dgVoodoo is amazing !

I'm author of PeteOpenGL2Tweak and I want to propose to add to this glide/dx wrappers a XBRZ texture scaler with deposterize filter (deposterize works wonderfull for Silent Hill: https://imgur.com/a/dJ5aG) - because many games uses small and 16bit textures.
My hack for PSX emualtors uses xxHash to hash texture data, then scale it using XBRZ, then add it to cache for reuse.
My stuff is here: http://ngemu.com/threads/peteopengl2tweak-twe … 9/#post-2144440 (I'm tapeq) + iCatButler PGXP it produces amazing graphics for PSX games: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PGXP+xbrz
I think adding this for old PC games will be great feature.

At last - thanks you all for supporting old games I love 😀

EDIT: Or texture dumping/replacing 😀

Reply 2243 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Virusek wrote:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

First I like to thanks you for this project, is really useful for me and I think many other peoples.
Next I want little help with fixing Resident Evil 2 hardware modes, I get "Failed to initalize DirectX" in any of hardware modes in RE2 Platinum and japan Sourcenext re-relase hangs when playing movies
I resolved Sourcenext hang by disabling movies using registry - then game works fine - but it's Japan 😁
https://imgur.com/jKoj7K1
Also Starcraft 1 have FPS problems with V-Sync enabled.

Thanks.
I can't remember if I ever tested Resident Evil 2 myself, but now I put it on the todo list. 😀

lowenz wrote:
Dege wrote:

- the number of unimplemented features is known

We can hope for MaxFX engine (Max Payne 1,2) hooking in near future?

Hmm, I don't know. Once I tried Max Payne 1 which is DX8 but unfortunately it's one of the games that initialize DX from DllMain which is not supported (D3D11 refuses to init from DllMain). Adding support for this is not easy and can't be sterling (like, the app could only see the primary monitor/device), if it can be supported at all. 🙁
Max Payne 2 is D3D9 (but probably feature level 8.1, or 9.0).

My other problem nowadays is lack of time (ok, it's summer now) and the fact that I don't really know which direction to take:
- Implementing new features, or
- Fixing as many bugs and games as possible

Recently I summarized most of the reported games with problems, and they are too many. 😁
Also, Win10 revealed some problems that are not problem on Win7 at all.
Little, I have a "have to start some things afresh" feeling.

(At least, I fixed Mafia. At least, the demo, because I have serious problems with installing the full game. According to the info on the net, its installer doesn't like Daemon tools and I couldn't find an alternate installer for it.)

daniel_u wrote:
Do you think that now is a good moment to fix the light color problem for Splinter Cell PT? dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11 […]
Show full quote

Do you think that now is a good moment to fix the light color problem for Splinter Cell PT?
dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

This would solve the last problem with this game(from the ones that can be fixed by you).

Preaty please. Cherry on top.

😀
'Fixing' this would mean altering the game shaders somehow, because it's not a bug (recently I tested it on an R7 360 natively and with Komat wrapper, and got the red-yellow-white lighting).
It's not an easy task (if possible at all), as it assumes understanding the game shaders, but there are tons of them, and unfortunately majority of them is quite complicated. 😖

nightson wrote:

For watermark and splashscreen you need the splash dlls (copied to System\SysWOW64 or to the game folder), I think I'll upload it to my site to have it easily available, instead of the need of hunting them on the net.
DX however is strange. Just for making sure: didn't you disabled the emulation in dgVoodooSetup? (DirectX tab, 'Disable and passthru to real DirectX' checked)?

Nucleoprotein wrote:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

At start I want to thanks you for amazing work @Dege ! New dgVoodoo is amazing !

I'm author of PeteOpenGL2Tweak and I want to propose to add to this glide/dx wrappers a XBRZ texture scaler with deposterize filter (deposterize works wonderfull for Silent Hill: https://imgur.com/a/dJ5aG) - because many games uses small and 16bit textures.
My hack for PSX emualtors uses xxHash to hash texture data, then scale it using XBRZ, then add it to cache for reuse.
My stuff is here: http://ngemu.com/threads/peteopengl2tweak-twe … 9/#post-2144440 (I'm tapeq) + iCatButler PGXP it produces amazing graphics for PSX games: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PGXP+xbrz
I think adding this for old PC games will be great feature.

At last - thanks you all for supporting old games I love 😀

EDIT: Or texture dumping/replacing 😀

Hi!

I haven't yet had a closer look at your stuff, but I if got it right, you apply a "de-colorbanding" shader for 16bit textures? 😮
It seems to be a great idea, especially looking at one of your depostered screenshots! If it can be solved by a single shader, I can easily add support for that, I think. (but unfortunately only for DirectX, because Glide impl doesn't use textures but 'manual sampling' from the raw texture data.)

Texture dumping and replacing can be achieved by Peixoto's stuff (it hooks DDraw).

Reply 2244 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Hmm, I don't know. Once I tried Max Payne 1 which is DX8 but unfortunately it's one of the games that initialize DX from DllMain which is not supported (D3D11 refuses to init from DllMain). Adding support for this is not easy and can't be sterling (like, the app could only see the primary monitor/device), if it can be supported at all. 🙁

I noticed 3DMark2000 now works. Didn't that do the same thing?

Reply 2245 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, it didn't. I don't know why it needs XP compat mode though, its SystemInformfc.dll probably queries other than DDraw things too.

(Edit: I can't remember if earlier I wrote that 3DMark2000 is DllMain-initing. If I did, then that was a mistake. I've just checked it now again.)

Reply 2247 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

My other problem nowadays is lack of time (ok, it's summer now) and the fact that I don't really know which direction to take:
- Implementing new features, or
- Fixing as many bugs and games as possible

I think you already answered your own question 😀 :

Dege wrote:

Recently I summarized most of the reported games with problems, and they are too many. 😁

Reply 2249 of 3949, by nightson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

For watermark and splashscreen you need the splash dlls (copied to System\SysWOW64 or to the game folder), I think I'll upload it to my site to have it easily available, instead of the need of hunting them on the net.
DX however is strange. Just for making sure: didn't you disabled the emulation in dgVoodooSetup? (DirectX tab, 'Disable and passthru to real DirectX' checked)?

Oh, I didn't notice that splash dlls are still needed. Now it works! Thank you.

As for the DX problem, I didn't have that option checked.

Reply 2250 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dege, now I have a new multi-GPU setup (Skylake integrated and the Radeon), both activated as available GPUs for rendering (iGPU connected to a fake monitor trick+extended desktop) so I can test by myself this scenario 😁
Unreal runs perfectly with both 😄

Problem is.....as I said before, the passthrough to real DX option only works for the REAL monitor-connected GPU. Isn't possible to make it work with the other GPU (the one connected to a FAKE monitor, typically the CPU-integrated GPU) ?

Last edited by lowenz on 2016-07-04, 14:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2251 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some results (using feature level 10.0) in FPS (average FPS in Unreal 227i flyby intro sequence, pawn shadows disabled, D3D path) on a Win 7 SP1 system

Radeon HD 7850 connected to real monitor -> Native (Radeon) 460 / dgvoodoo2 Intel 50 / dgvoodoo2 Radeon 240
Intel Skylake 530 connected to real monitor -> Native (Intel) 380 / dgvoodoo2 Intel 120 / dgvoodoo2 Radeon 160

Reply 2252 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nucleoprotein wrote:
@Dege Nope, not shader, software based scaling only, deposterize algorithm taken from PPSSPP: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp […]
Show full quote

@Dege
Nope, not shader, software based scaling only, deposterize algorithm taken from PPSSPP:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/blob/maste … rCommon.cpp#L96
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/blob/maste … Common.cpp#L658

Hmm! Then I should convert this algorithm into shader code somehow. 😁
Converting texture data is done by the GPU in dgVoodoo, and accessing it through CPU would be very slow, or nearly impossible.

Expack3 wrote:
I think you already answered your own question : Dege wrote: Recently I summarized most of the reported games with problems, an […]
Show full quote

I think you already answered your own question :
Dege wrote:
Recently I summarized most of the reported games with problems, and they are too many.

Or, the mixture of both... 😀

lowenz wrote:

Problem is.....as I said before, the passthrough to real DX option only works for the REAL monitor-connected GPU. Isn't possible to make it work with the other GPU (the one connected to a FAKE monitor, typically the CPU-integrated GPU) ?

When you have 2 GPUs with 2 monitors then they appear as 2 devices in DirectDraw to the application.
I guess Unreal always uses the first one of them, or specifies NULL, meaning letting DDraw use the default (the primary monitor).
If you choose one of them in dgVoodoo ('adapter to enable') then basically you disable the other one(s), so the chosen one becomes the default.
With native DX you cannot do that, it's equivalent to 'All of them'. So, if Unreal setup doesn't support selecting a device (as it doesn't if I remember right), then the only option is playing with setting one of the monitors to be the primary one.

Milan wrote:

Dege, did you made any progress with NSF that I asked you in PM?

Uhm, not yet, unfortunately.

Reply 2253 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nightson wrote:
Dege wrote:

If you download this demo

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=2177

and then copy DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll into its folder, and launch the demo, what devices can you see on Setup\Graphics Outputs tab?
dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper is there? Or sg else?

Reply 2254 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
Milan wrote:

Dege, did you made any progress with NSF that I asked you in PM?

Uhm, not yet, unfortunately.

I've checked it out, and found 3 problems:

- The game specifies invalid caps bits for creating its surfaces (invalid for dgVoodoo, but it seems native DX accepts them), so creating calls fail and the game crashes on null ptrs: this one can be fixed I think, when I temporarily fixed it, then:
- dgVoodoo supports resolution 320x200, so the game initializes in 320x200 X-Mode: it's a problem because DPlay quits an error message like "cannot be called when in X-MODE"; Maybe the exe should be patched to miss resolutions below 640x480
- If I temporarily remove support for 320x200 modes then the game finally starts but I can only see the mouse cursor, so there is some additional problem with the rendering

Reply 2257 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just recently uploaded to YouTube farbrasch's fr-019 demo running on dgVoodoo2, with a forced resolution of 1600x1200 (though with letterboxes removed in post for a resolution of 1600x900). I'd have added forced antialiasing, but dgVoodoo2's forced AA leaves artifacts in certain parts of the demo. Which is a shame, because forced resolution + dgVoodoo2's AA looks gorgeous!

Reply 2258 of 3949, by nightson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
If you download this demo […]
Show full quote
nightson wrote:
Dege wrote:

If you download this demo

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=2177

and then copy DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll into its folder, and launch the demo, what devices can you see on Setup\Graphics Outputs tab?
dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper is there? Or sg else?

Only my native Grahpics Card.

blue 2016-07-06 12-43-36-69.png
Filename
blue 2016-07-06 12-43-36-69.png
File size
131.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2259 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nightson wrote:

Only my native Grahpics Card.

Then you do something not right,
HFeaubD.png

Do you have any antivirus program ? I see that DLLs are protected/compressed by MPRESS and some stupid AV can block or even delete them because of this.

@Dege
Unpacking MPRESS is really easy so if you want really protect you stuff you need to use something better :p