VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2260 of 3949, by nightson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nucleoprotein wrote:
Then you do something not right, http://i.imgur.com/HFeaubD.png […]
Show full quote
nightson wrote:

Only my native Grahpics Card.

Then you do something not right,
HFeaubD.png

Do you have any antivirus program ? I see that DLLs are protected/compressed by MPRESS and some stupid AV can block or even delete them because of this.

@Dege
Unpacking MPRESS is really easy so if you want really protect you stuff you need to use something better :p

I disabled my Antivirus program before running the demo so I'm afriad that's not the case.

Reply 2261 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Dege, can you check the configurator's code?

Sometimes after adding a new exe folder, closing and relaunching, the other entries disappear.....a problem in list saving?

How many entries do you have in the list? AFAIR once I encountered 64 as a limit but didn't fixed it yet.

Expack3 wrote:

I just recently uploaded to YouTube farbrasch's fr-019 demo running on dgVoodoo2, with a forced resolution of 1600x1200 (though with letterboxes removed in post for a resolution of 1600x900). I'd have added forced antialiasing, but dgVoodoo2's forced AA leaves artifacts in certain parts of the demo. Which is a shame, because forced resolution + dgVoodoo2's AA looks gorgeous!

Where does it leave artifacts? It seems fine for me (in 1280x1024 though).
Anyway, nice video! 😎
(BTW, All of the Farbrausch demos look gorgeus in high res... 😀 )

Nucleoprotein wrote:

@Dege
Unpacking MPRESS is really easy so if you want really protect you stuff you need to use something better :p

Of course, since the executable unpacks itself in memory so anyone can look into it from a debugger. 😀
(I wish those bastard AV's could depack these executables by these technique...)

MPRESSing is not really for protecting but for keeping the dll's size tiny (you can call me 'tiny-maniac' 😁 ) and a minimal protection (to avoid 'upx -u'-like easy methods).

nightson wrote:

I disabled my Antivirus program before running the demo so I'm afriad that's not the case.

Could you do the following:
- Just to make sure, add the folder of the demo into the list of dgVoodooSetup and 'Apply' the (default) config to have a dgVoodoo.conf file there, and the run the demo
- Attach dgVoodoo.conf file here, from your User folder

Reply 2262 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
lowenz wrote:

Sometimes after adding a new exe folder, closing and relaunching, the other entries disappear.....a problem in list saving?

How many entries do you have in the list? AFAIR once I encountered 64 as a limit but didn't fixed it yet.

20-21

But I encountered the (little) problem many times (with less entries).

Reply 2263 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Dege wrote:
lowenz wrote:

20-21

But I encountered the (little) problem many times (with less entries).

Are there exact repro steps?
Say, 'remove the last entry, add a new and relaunch the setup, and some of the entries disappears', or sg like that?

Reply 2266 of 3949, by nightson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

- Just to make sure, add the folder of the demo into the list of dgVoodooSetup and 'Apply' the (default) config to have a dgVoodoo.conf file there, and the run the demo

Still the same result. I've attached the config files from both the User folder and the demo directory.

Attachments

• Filename
    dgVoodoo.conf
    File size
    127 Bytes
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File comment
    From C:\Users\N\AppData\Roaming\dgVoodoo
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    dgVoodoo.conf
    File size
    127 Bytes
    Downloads
    63 downloads
    File comment
    From game directory
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2267 of 3949, by MaLDo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

You need Dege's Winplay patch for Fighting Force videos to work. No way to get music working though.

MaLDo wrote:

Someone found a fix to music in Fighting Force?

_inmm.dll doesn't work 🙁

_inmm.dll write an error if a mp3 track is not found, so it tries to play them, but no music at all.

Finally I fixed the music problem in Fighting Force. I created a tiny program that uses the _inmm.dll log file as input so it can know instantly what music file inmm is trying to start but can't found. If we put the files in a different path that inmm ini file, every track start triggers a inmm error in the log so my program can play the correct file. This way the game runs perfectly. Even I fixed the problem the game had restarting every track after unpause the game.

Then used an autohotkey script to lauch x-padder with two player layout, mount the cd iso, start my music fix, start the game and bind a hold button in the controller to close all programs. Added the script in steam \o/

Reply 2268 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaLDo wrote:
Finally I fixed the music problem in Fighting Force. I created a tiny program that uses the _inmm.dll log file as input so it ca […]
Show full quote
ZellSF wrote:

You need Dege's Winplay patch for Fighting Force videos to work. No way to get music working though.

MaLDo wrote:

_inmm.dll doesn't work 🙁

_inmm.dll write an error if a mp3 track is not found, so it tries to play them, but no music at all.

Finally I fixed the music problem in Fighting Force. I created a tiny program that uses the _inmm.dll log file as input so it can know instantly what music file inmm is trying to start but can't found. If we put the files in a different path that inmm ini file, every track start triggers a inmm error in the log so my program can play the correct file. This way the game runs perfectly. Even I fixed the problem the game had restarting every track after unpause the game.

Then used an autohotkey script to lauch x-padder with two player layout, mount the cd iso, start my music fix, start the game and bind a hold button in the controller to close all programs. Added the script in steam \o/

When looking into that problem, I considered doing that, but I felt it was a too hacky approach to distribute. If you did it with AHK, I would really like to see the script file.

Reply 2269 of 3949, by MaLDo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
MaLDo wrote:
Finally I fixed the music problem in Fighting Force. I created a tiny program that uses the _inmm.dll log file as input so it ca […]
Show full quote
ZellSF wrote:

MaLDo wrote:

_inmm.dll doesn't work 🙁

When looking into that problem, I considered doing that, but I felt it was a too hacky approach to distribute. If you did it with AHK, I would really like to see the script file.

AHK script is only for launching. Music fix is coded in vb.

Reply 2270 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Dege
Diablo II (1.14D) is very very dark in 3DFX mode comparing to nGlide or DDRAW mode (native and emulated). Disabling Gamma Ramp emulation helps a little but not much.
Also Diablo II is failing with error in all "Max" modes, works fine when specifying something like 1440x1080.

PS: Blizzard removed VideoConfig app from Diablo 2 in 1.14, to run 3dfx version you need to add parameter "-3dfx" to "Diablo II.exe" commandline.

Reply 2272 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

is it working @1440x1080? No problems? Just WOW!

Almost all games I have tested so far works fine at FHD or 4:3 FHD (ie. 1440x1080)

Some games I have tested (Windows 10 x64, old Intel Q6600 CPU, 4GB RAM, quite new R7 360 because HD6850 died):
Blood Omen - Legacy Of Kain: with bink patch does not display videos, without works just fine with "Max" resolution.
Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver: 1920x1080 fine, need some patches to make it work in Windows 10 (SRHook), audio still broken in some places (some sounds loops) but this is game problem
Tomb Raider 1/2/3/4/5: fine at all resolutions, not noticed any graphical problems (do not force (blit) filtering because it can cause glitches in menus)
BIOHAZARD 2 SourceNext: fine with "Max" (FHD), requires to disable movies because of hang when they play, requires also elevation (ie. "Run as Admin")
Resident Evil 3 Mediakite: fine with "Max ISF" (FHD) graphical glitches in textures can be avoided disabling "Texture Adjust/Correction" in game options (F2), ISF required to avoid more glitches

EDIT: I have read Diablo II changelog and it seems Blizzard officially supports nGlide in 1.14c using -3dfx switch 😜 http://pastebin.com/t28eWsfA

Reply 2273 of 3949, by LoneKiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi to all,

I tried a lot of games with DGVoodoo and many of them are working very well. Only game I really would like to have working is Resident Evil 2, but it is not working since every time I try to add 3D (3DFX or other), the game is not lauched with a "Failed to initialize Directx" error. Maybe someone more expert than me can give some advice on how to solve?

Many thanks.

Reply 2274 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LoneKiller wrote:

Hi to all,

I tried a lot of games with DGVoodoo and many of them are working very well. Only game I really would like to have working is Resident Evil 2, but it is not working since every time I try to add 3D (3DFX or other), the game is not lauched with a "Failed to initialize Directx" error. Maybe someone more expert than me can give some advice on how to solve?

Many thanks.

RE2 Platinum will not work in modern system well, you require Japanse Biohazard 2 re-release by SourceNext.

Reply 2275 of 3949, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,

I have three more (and potentially a lot more) old games that would benefit from a patch that uses (among other things) dgVoodoo2.
- Sheep (by Empire Interactive / Mind's Eye Productions)
- Speed Demons (by Microids / EMG)
- Powerslide (by GT Interactive / Ratbag Pty Ltd.)

Can I have your permission to make and publish those patchs ?

In fact, I test a lot of games every week and more and more would benefit a lot from a dgVoodoo2-based patch. I don't want to spam the thread / become an annoyance, so I'd like, even if it is perhaps a little bold, ask permission for all future games. I can post links here (or elsewhere) from time to time if you like so you can see for yourself if the requirements are met.

And as promised, here is a screenshot of the download page of the dgVoodoo-based patch for the French version of Metal Gear Solid (the link is not public yet, hence the screenshot) :
1474103155.png

Which mentions dgVoodoo2 and it's website on the page, and again inside the patch in a readme. I plan to do the same for any future patch.

Thanks again a *lot* for dgVoodoo2. It fixes a lot of games, and it is seriously awesome.
Again, if you want money donations to aid development, I'd gladly give it in a heartbeat. 😁

Last edited by xcomcmdr on 2016-09-17, 09:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2277 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

Diablo 2 1.14d works great in D3D with *stretching & AR preserving*, the only thing really needed is to check the "capture mouse" box to avoid strange behaviour of the *windows* (sometimes appearing in game) cursor.

But in 3DFX mode I have so dark screen I almost not see anything 😜

Reply 2278 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A little issue: D3D Diablo 2 in "dgVoodoo2 windowed mode" (without using the native "-w" switch) has no borders so the windows can't be moved around and it is in a fixed location in the upper left corner of the monitor.

Is it possible to implement the ability (in dgVoodoo2) to add/force borders, center the window and/or move it around?
Also, does the resolution forcing work in windowed mode too? (I'll check now).

Reply 2279 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nucleoprotein wrote:
@Dege Diablo II (1.14D) is very very dark in 3DFX mode comparing to nGlide or DDRAW mode (native and emulated). Disabling Gamma […]
Show full quote

@Dege
Diablo II (1.14D) is very very dark in 3DFX mode comparing to nGlide or DDRAW mode (native and emulated). Disabling Gamma Ramp emulation helps a little but not much.
Also Diablo II is failing with error in all "Max" modes, works fine when specifying something like 1440x1080.

PS: Blizzard removed VideoConfig app from Diablo 2 in 1.14, to run 3dfx version you need to add parameter "-3dfx" to "Diablo II.exe" commandline.

Indeed, thanks. The gamma correction values were half of the required, I've just fixed it.
I were also able to reproduce the failing with dynamic resolutions but now it's working after all, for some reason. 😕

Nucleoprotein wrote:

EDIT: I have read Diablo II changelog and it seems Blizzard officially supports nGlide in 1.14c using -3dfx switch http://pastebin.com/t28eWsfA

What I got about the story is that Blizzard only knew Sven's wrapper and adjusted their patch to it, in a way that's not compatible with a real Glide library (non-existing function names).
Then Zeus wrote to Blizzard's forums about the problem, they fixed it and now it's in the readme.

lowenz wrote:

A little issue: D3D Diablo 2 in "dgVoodoo2 windowed mode" (without using the native "-w" switch) has no borders so the windows can't be moved around and it is in a fixed location in the upper left corner of the monitor.

Is it possible to implement the ability (in dgVoodoo2) to add/force borders, center the window and/or move it around?
Also, does the resolution forcing work in windowed mode too? (I'll check now).

When option 'Disable Alt-Enter to toggle...' is unchecked then borders are forced in windowed mode, otherwise not (DX). Borders are always forced for windowed Glide.
Res forcing should also work in windowed mode, what is more, the window client area is (forced) resized to the full screen resolution, both for Glide and DX (but for DX only when 'Disable Alt-Enter to toggle...' is unchecked).

Edit: Blizzard did something to the game window in their latest patch because I cannot move it at all. With version 1.01 (or sg like that) Diablo II window could be placed onto arbitrary place and monitor but now it can't be. 🙁

lowenz wrote:

Diablo 2 1.14d works great in D3D with *stretching & AR preserving*, the only thing really needed is to check the "capture mouse" box to avoid strange behaviour of the *windows* (sometimes appearing in game) cursor.

I'm going to revise that mouse-code, I already found some problems.

LoneKiller wrote:

Hi to all,

Many thanks.

RE2 was reported previously, it's on the list. I just find its installation a little bit confusing.

xcomcmdr wrote:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I have three more (and potentially a lot more) old games that would benefit from a patch that uses (among other things) dgVoodoo2.
- Sheep (by Empire Interactive / Mind's Eye Productions)
- Speed Demons (by Microids / EMG)
- Powerslide (by GT Interactive / Ratbag Pty Ltd.)

Can I have your permission to make and publish those patchs ?

In fact, I test a lot of games every week and more and more would benefit a lot from a dgVoodoo2-based patch. I don't want to spam the thread / become an annoyance, so I'd like, even if it is perhaps a little bold, ask permission for all future games. I can post links here (or elsewhere) from time to time if you like so you can see for yourself if the requirements are met.

And as promised, here is the download page of the dgVoodoo-based patch for the French version of Metal Gear Solid (not public yet, hence the "special" link) :
http://www.abandonware-france.org/ltf_abandon … iens&page=admin

Which mentions dgVoodoo2 and it's website on the page, and again inside the patch in a readme. I plan to do the same for any future patch.

Thanks again a *lot* for dgVoodoo2. It fixes a lot of games, and it is seriously awesome.
Again, if you want money donations to aid development, I'd gladly give it in a heartbeat. 😁

Of course, permission is granted. 😀
Also, thanks for making patches based on dgVoodoo! 😎
I think posting the links are not problem, it's not an annoyance to become aware of something new.
(Meanwhile I added a 'donate' button to the bottom of the webpage. 😀 )

nightson wrote:
Dege wrote:

Still the same result. I've attached the config files from both the User folder and the demo directory.

I cannot see any anomaly in those config files...
I made a DDraw build that does nothing but crashes when any of the DDraw functions is called:
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/DDCrash.zip

Could you try it again with the demo? It should immediately crash. If it doesn't then dgVoodoo's ddraw.dll is not accessed at all.

Last edited by Dege on 2016-07-12, 10:46. Edited 1 time in total.