VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3220 of 3949, by Loney974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Over time those res-force bugs will get fixed, I hope. :) I don't want to put a lot of effort into it till the next version. […]
Show full quote
lowenz wrote:
lowenz wrote:

New Commandos 2 (Steam version) is working great with dgVoodoo2.....but I can't understand which D3D version it uses by default: RTSS can't show it 😐 (if I put your DLLs in the folder RTSS shows correctly D3D11).

.....but resolution forcing causes a crash (CTD) after the intro videos, in the start menu.

Over time those res-force bugs will get fixed, I hope. 😀
I don't want to put a lot of effort into it till the next version.

(But, resolution forcing cannot be a guaranteed feature, unfortunately. Some games seem to be very sensitive to the environment, their window size for example.)

Hi Dege,
First, I want to thank you for the amazing work you have done so far and that you share with all of us.
As far as I'm concerned, resolution forcing works great with this game (no crash using dgVoodoo 2.54), but I'm encountering another issue regarding windowed mode. I've noticed that when switching to windowed mode (ALT-ENTER), the game does not refresh properly (cf. screenshot). More precisely, I have to move the mouse cursor to "reveal" the menu or the game map, square by square.
I believe it has to do with desktop composition (DWM) somehow, because applying the following compatibility mode fixes the issue, at the cost of reduced performance :
a) [Windows 7] "Disable desktop composition"
b) [Windows 8/10] "Reduced color mode" => 16 bits mode.

Are you aware of this problem? Is it a bug that is related to dgVoodoo emulation or to the game engine that lacks DWM support?
Do you know a proper solution? (for e.g. code to run via Dll injection)

Commandos2_dg_Voodoo2.54_windowed_mode.png

Reply 3221 of 3949, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can confirm that behavior with Commandos 2 in v2.54 and WIP36. It doesn't happen when the game is run without any wrapper and it doesn't happen with aqrit's wrapper, so it's definitely dgVoodoo. I've tried changing nearly every setting in dgVoodooCpl.exe, so it doesn't appear to be correctable with any setting.

masterotaku wrote:

Not working. With compatibility mode set to Windows 7 or older, I lose 3D Vision. I think I enabling XP compatibility in the original exe may have restored something in regedit, because now the controller is working and I lost 3D again even without compatibility settings :p. However, doing the same thing (XP compatibility) in the renamed exe disables 3D, but doesn't make the controller work either.

I don't know what is it that the game wants to make the controller work. And why it kills 3D.

PS: I also tried other settings in the compatibility tab, but they didn't help.

I don't know, but my guess would be that it has something to do with DirectInput. The game is from the era when it would've used DirectInput to interface with controllers. Perhaps using XP compatibility mode enables legacy support for DirectInput. Maybe you can find a tool that enables you to use the controller (i.e. enable DirectInput support) without having to switch to XP compatibility mode. If I were you, I'd ask for help in the Windows forum, where it'll be more on-topic and people who have more controller experience will see it.

Edit: I just ran across these, which might help or point you in the right direction:
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … xinput-wrapper/
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … mes-test-tools/

Last edited by Osprey on 2017-09-06, 21:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3222 of 3949, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks so much, Dege, for the nearest neighbor integer scaling mode. It looks wonderful and it makes me fear 4k monitors far less.

I'm experiencing some mouse weirdness in Might and Magic VIII which appears to be related to the new options.

ScalingMode = centered
ImageScaleFactor = 1
Performs as expected.

ScalingMode = centered_ar
ImageScaleFactor = 1
View spins crazy-fast to the left when mouselook is enabled. Cursor normal when mouselook disabled.

ScalingMode = centered
ImageScaleFactor = 0
Graphics just like I want. View slowly rotates left when mouselook enabled. Cursor normal when mouselook disabled.

ImageScaleFactor = 0
Graphics just like I want. View spins crazy-fast to the left when mouselook is enabled. Cursor normal when mouselook disabled.

If you want to test the game, you need the GreyFace patch installed which adds the mouselook function. No mouselook weirdness at all with native, DxWnd, or WIP36 centered/1.

Last edited by galneon on 2017-09-04, 18:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3224 of 3949, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been playing Wheel of Time lately and have been experimenting with lots of different GPUs to see the differences in handling 16-bit textures / color depth.

One interesting thing I've come across is DGVoodoo2 seems to have worse banding than DGVoodoo1 and zeckensack's Glide wrapper.

Currently playing with a Radeon 4890 on Windows 7. All Glide mode. These are PNGs made from BMPs off FRAPS.

DGvoodoo2 (also, the game can't set 1600x1200 itself for some reason. I had to force it in DGVoodoo2 control panel. This messes up the game UI)
s2DaiNDB.jpg HSSxwmPS.jpg

DGvoodoo1 32-bit color depth DirectX 9 mode
sOppOFLZ.jpg cYCUHO0d.jpg

Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper (most fancy shaders setting)
frPdipEf.jpg ySi5Iiog.jpg

The best result I've seen is a Radeon X1950 with DGVoodoo in 16-bit color depth mode. This is about what you see if you run a Voodoo5. Just a lot faster at 1600x1200. 😉
R9Jwq0cQ.jpg LBHBDMRx.jpg

Reply 3225 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just been playing with F1 Challenge 99-02 (EA). With dgVoodoo2 WIP36, right back to the stable release 2.54, the in-car steering wheel is totally missing textures. I tried dgVoodoo 2.45 instead and it's fine, so it's broken somewhere along the line.

I tracked it back; 2.45 is fine, 2.5 onwards = no textures on wheel but image can be scaled up properly (in 2.45 it won't go beyond the 1600x1200 limit the game strangely imposes).

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3226 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same applies to F1 2002 (so probably to F1 2001 as they share a similar engine).

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3227 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: I think the older driver 2.45 isn't detected in 3DConfig, meaning it uses my graphics card, so scaling up isn't supported.

Reply 3228 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
galneon wrote:
Thanks so much, Dege, for the nearest neighbor integer scaling mode. It looks wonderful and it makes me fear 4k monitors far les […]
Show full quote

Thanks so much, Dege, for the nearest neighbor integer scaling mode. It looks wonderful and it makes me fear 4k monitors far less.

I'm experiencing some mouse weirdness in Might and Magic VIII which appears to be related to the new options.

ScalingMode = centered
ImageScaleFactor = 1
Performs as expected.

ImageScaleFactor = 1
View spins crazy-fast to the left when mouselook is enabled. Cursor normal when mouselook disabled.

ScalingMode = centered
ImageScaleFactor = 0
Graphics just like I want. View slowly rotates left when mouselook enabled. Cursor normal when mouselook disabled.

ImageScaleFactor = 0
Graphics just like I want. View spins crazy-fast to the left when mouselook is enabled. Cursor normal when mouselook disabled.

If you want to test the game, you need the GreyFace patch installed which adds the mouselook function. No mouselook weirdness at all with native, DxWnd, or WIP36 centered/1.

I tried MM7 and MouseLook interferes with dgVoodoo's mouse capturing. Mouse is captured into the top-left 640x480 rect (or whatever resolution the game running at) but MM7 mod positions the mouse cursor into the center of the screen for MouseLook which is outside of the capture-rect.
If the physical game window size differs from the one that the game assumes (so that, anytime when ImageScaleFactor is not 1, or when a wrapper-scaled scaling mode is in usage) then screen center is always outside of the capture rect by a good chance.
For native ImageScaleFactor == 1 and display/gpu - scaling it's not a problem because the window size is equal to the game resolution.
So, let's disable dgVoodoo's mouse capturing. MouseLook works in that case but in turn, you can move the cursor outside of the game screen... 🙁

swaaye wrote:
I've been playing Wheel of Time lately and have been experimenting with lots of different GPUs to see the differences in handlin […]
Show full quote

I've been playing Wheel of Time lately and have been experimenting with lots of different GPUs to see the differences in handling 16-bit textures / color depth.

One interesting thing I've come across is DGVoodoo2 seems to have worse banding than DGVoodoo1 and zeckensack's Glide wrapper.

Currently playing with a Radeon 4890 on Windows 7. All Glide mode. These are PNGs made from BMPs off FRAPS.

DGvoodoo2 (also, the game can't set 1600x1200 itself for some reason. I had to force it in DGVoodoo2 control panel. This messes up the game UI)
s2DaiNDB.jpg HSSxwmPS.jpg

DGvoodoo1 32-bit color depth DirectX 9 mode
sOppOFLZ.jpg cYCUHO0d.jpg

Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper (most fancy shaders setting)
frPdipEf.jpg ySi5Iiog.jpg

The best result I've seen is a Radeon X1950 with DGVoodoo in 16-bit color depth mode. This is about what you see if you run a Voodoo5. Just a lot faster at 1600x1200. 😉
R9Jwq0cQ.jpg LBHBDMRx.jpg

I guess it's because of

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Reply 3231 of 3949, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote:

I guess it's because of

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

But why does the behavior differ between DGVoodoo2 and DGVoodoo1? DGVoodoo1 looks much nicer. Zeckensack's and DGVoodoo1 appear to have very similar output.

Oh and also note that the game could not set 1600x1200 with DGVoodoo2. It's as if the resolution limit is 1280x1024. Forcing it to 1600x1200 with the DGVoodoo control panel worked though.

Oh and I was using DGVoodoo 2.54.

Also, I tried DGVoodoo1 and 2 on a Surface 4 Pro with the Intel Iris 540 IGP. Maybe their drivers are still hopeless. While it runs very well much of the time, there's something that comes into view that drops it into single digit frame rate. This image is a capture of an example spot. It seems to always occur near lights with coronas. Though maybe that's just coincidental.
zkJMGHIJ.jpg

Reply 3232 of 3949, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I appreciate any efforts towards enabling the ability to enforce Nearest Neighbour upscaling in old & new games (especially old games). I also do not care about perfect doubling of resolutions and am okay with fractional upscaling that can result in pixel doubling oddities.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3233 of 3949, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
franpa wrote:

I appreciate any efforts towards enabling the ability to enforce Nearest Neighbour upscaling in old & new games (especially old games). I also do not care about perfect doubling of resolutions and am okay with fractional upscaling that can result in pixel doubling oddities.

WIP36 added this feature. 😀 You need to use the new plain text .conf file to enable it.

Reply 3234 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The final arcade version of XLR8 by Speedworks has been released over here https://assemblergames.com/threads/xlr8-voodo … ade-game.66627/

I have a WIP version of the PC original that may get shared if the original team is okay with it, but both work with dgVoodoo2 and nGlide.

Reply 3235 of 3949, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
galneon wrote:
franpa wrote:

WIP36 added this feature. 😀 You need to use the new plain text .conf file to enable it.

Can it nearest neighbour upscale to an integer value beyond the monitors resolution and then downscale it with whatever filtering it wants, to reduce artifacts from potential fractional downscaling?

Also, I was going to see if this fixed both Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and Tiberian Sun: Firestorm but the game bitches about an inability to detect a mouse device...

---------------------------
Tiberian Sun
A mouse is required for playing Tiberian Sun.
OK

If you're curious:

Tiberian Sun & Firestorm have wild frame rate fluctuations when scrolling the camera around etc. (fluctuates between 30FPS and 60FPS it seems, same issue affects Red Alert 2 & expansion). The Firestorm expansion ALSO has UI elements rendering incorrectly. There is a Wrapper that fixes the performance issues without fixing Firestorm's UI issues and there is a wrapper that fixes Firestorm's UI issues without fixing the performance issues but you can't combine the wrappers which makes the situation maddening 😠

Frame Rate issues:
(fixed via http://www.bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html but this wrapper doesn't fix the UI rendering in Firestorm):

affected games:
Tiberian Sun
Tiberian Sun: Firestorm
Red Alert 2
Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge

--------------------------- ---------------------------
Unrendered Main Menu (click an option and you won't see the menu change to the sub-menu, even though it did change) and the menu accessed via the Escape Key on the keyboard during gameplay is invisible:
(fixed via http://www.bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html and iirc the NoVideoMemory and/or ForceDirectDrawEmulation option has to be enabled, this wrapper doesn't seem to be capable of fixing the performance)

affected game:
Tiberian Sun: Firestorm

Last edited by franpa on 2017-09-11, 07:10. Edited 15 times in total.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3236 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tiberian sun worked for me on an earlier version (haven't tried the latest) though I would rather play it with ts_ddraw because I got some performance issues with dgVoodoo2. What graphical oddities are you talking about with existing wrappers? I found the last time I played Tiberian Sun to be a pretty flawless experience.

Reply 3237 of 3949, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I edited my previous post to better explain the issues. If you don't care about Firestorm than you can use the "ie ddrawfix" wrapper and enjoy the base game content.

my website

Reply 3238 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
franpa wrote:

I edited my previous post to better explain the issues. If you don't care about Firestorm than you can use the "ie ddrawfix" wrapper and enjoy the base game content.

You should try ts_ddraw if you haven't. I didn't notice any issues with it and it was noticeably better than using ie_ddrawfix/ddwrapper.

It is one of my favorite games though so I second any begging to make it work better in dgVoodoo2. I need to test C&C95, dgVoodoo2's new scaling options should make it better than cnc-ddraw (which has terrible scaling options) assuming they handle 640x400 decently... but it had some major performance issues last I checked.

Reply 3239 of 3949, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

640x400? Dungeon Keeper can use that resolution! Though I doubt this graphics wrapper can fix the intermittent crashing that happens under anything newer than Windows ME.

Is it possible to get this graphics wrapper working with Earth Worm Jim: Windows 95 Special Edition? The game has stutter issues with the Windows DWM and the fullscreen display mode relies upon a 16bit DLL that of course can't be utilized under 64bit Windows (I doubt fullscreen can be easily restored, since the game seems to do some file integrity verification of the DLL according to the error message that appears when using an incorrect DLL file as a substitute).

Lemmings Paintball's fullscreen mode also relies upon an old DLL file that isn't included with 64bit versions of Windows, unsure if the DLL file it requires is 16bit but it makes sense for it to be 16bit if it isn't included with 64bit Windows.

my website