VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 960 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer looks much better now.

Total Annihilation Kingdoms works now, but something's wrong with the fog of war effect:

Attachments

Reply 962 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer looks much better now.

Total Annihilation Kingdoms works now, but something's wrong with the fog of war effect:

Hmm... I have only the demo.
How should it look? How could I reproduce the fog of war? (I don't know this game, never played with it.)

Reply 963 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh that seems to be a map specific fog of war effect (first map of the campaign), not in the demo, comparison follows:

Attachments

Reply 964 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems to be another game reliant on ATI colorkeying btw...

Another problem that's actually in the demo this time (start a skirmish without the map revealed and with unit reveals line of sight option). Fog of war doesn't work at all in dgVoodoo2 (and neither does updating the minimap):

Attachments

Reply 966 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WIP9 causes Empire Earth and its expansion to no longer display anything past the intro videos. The audio plays, but the screen is...transparent. As in, nothing shows up on-screen, and nothing is clickable. Even forcing windowed mode does nothing. This also affects all 3D cards which WIP9 currently supports (dgVoodoo, ATI, NVIDIA).

Reply 967 of 3949, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote:

I've seen a lot of this kind of 'config tweakings' from users undisputedly having no clue about what they are doing (back in the dgVoodoo 1 times).
Advanced settings should be accessible only from command line, or from an ini file or sg like that, I don't know it yet.

Good point. I hate when people blast out lists of settings without any explanation for why they think they're needed.

Reply 968 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I fixed Galshell and Empire Earth, however still uncertain about TA Kingdoms demo. It seems to work fine for me with ATI:

TAKingdoms.png

(However I get unreadable text letters with nVidia, I'm gonna check it all again)

Good point. I hate when people blast out lists of settings without any explanation for why they think they're needed.

As for dgVoodoo 1, I can't blame them. It had a lot of complicated options that were hardly understandable even for a programmer. 🤣

Reply 970 of 3949, by VEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Advanced settings should be accessible only from command line, or from an ini file or sg like that, I don't know it yet.

Original Glide 3X API uses environment variables as settings. Probably, it's a good idea. For example, nGlide also uses environment variables for settings: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=796
You can see in my patch how I've added special support of this variables in my NFS3 Modern Patch.
dgVoodoo can read environment setting and use it as default value when reading from ini file. It will allow for user to choose a better way for configure dgVoodoo. Environment variables could have names like DGVOODOO_SETTINGNAME for this ini setting SettingName=123 in the [DGVOODOO] section. It will be very flexible I think 😀

Best regards, Evgeny

Reply 971 of 3949, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was just trying to play Wizards and Warriors for the first time on this rig. Looks like the only way to play it with a recent nvidia card (with recent drivers), even having tried modified exes, is with dgVoodoo 2 which fortunately works flawlessly from my limited testing.

Reply 972 of 3949, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dark Omen

After forcing this game into window mode...
( AFAIK the game's fullscreen code is bugged because it doesn't work correctly with IDirect3DRampDevice either... )

This game appears to have two problems with WIP9:

1. Blt and BltFast FROM the primary surface fail with E_NOTIMPL.
2. Blt's with DDBLTFX_MIRRORUPDOWN fail? silently.
( edit: #2 could be related to #1, I haven't really looked into. )

Problem #1 is mostly harmless for this game.

Problem #2 causes the the menu backgrounds to be all black.
( the game loads the menu background bitmaps then flips them, I think. )

I've worked around both of these issues by rolling my own ddraw wrapper in front of dgvoodoo.

Thanks Dege for your exciting work!

Reply 973 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

oh, apparently it's higher resolutions that are broken. Try running it in anything higher than 640x480.

Thanks! Now I found the bug and fixed it.

Original Glide 3X API uses environment variables as settings. Probably, it's a good idea. For example, nGlide also uses environment variables for settings: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/view ... ?f=9&t=796
You can see in my patch how I've added special support of this variables in my NFS3 Modern Patch.
dgVoodoo can read environment setting and use it as default value when reading from ini file. It will allow for user to choose a better way for configure dgVoodoo. Environment variables could have names like DGVOODOO_SETTINGNAME for this ini setting SettingName=123 in the [DGVOODOO] section. It will be very flexible I think 😀

Thanks for the ideas. Currently I vote for the ini file. 😀
But it all is not too urgent as there are only two properties that could be set independently on each other:
- colorkeying method
- paletted textures

But a few others could be submitted to the list, like number of texture stages, supported formats, RGBA order, etc. 🤣

This game appears to have two problems with WIP9: […]
Show full quote

This game appears to have two problems with WIP9:

1. Blt and BltFast FROM the primary surface fail with E_NOTIMPL.
( edit: #2 could be related to #1, I haven't really looked into. )

Yes, blitting from primary is not implemented, but DDBLTFX_MIRRORUPDOWN should work.
Altough now that a lot of things are refactored version by version it could be implemented easily. What is more, I'm going to implement it, for the sake of the full blitting functionalty.

Reply 974 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:

I noticed the resolutions in JK top out at 2048x1536 (the maximum earlier versions of DirectX allowed) with dgvoodoo but if I use WineD3D even the Downsampling resolutions I set up are available. Any chance support for higher resolutions can be added?

There's also an issue with the GOG version only showing the ModeX resolutions. I sent you a pm about it.

Any news?

Reply 977 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolano wrote:

La-Mulana came out in 2005, why would you need dgVoodoo for it?

...because it uses a DirectX version prior to 8? Don't be surprised - there are still modern games which have DirectX 7 as their minimum-required DX version, like Treasure Adventure Game and Lone Survivor.

Reply 978 of 3949, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of Japanese indie developers still use older libraries for maximum hardware compatibility as their PC market is really, REALLY slow from the lack of brand loyalty to modern hardware manufacturers keeping the competition healthy. It's a very mixed bag similar to how PC-98 lingered for so long, so it should come as no surprise to find even a new 201X game using DX7/GL1.x.

(however in the west, a similar looking game would use Unity or XNA and require DX9 pixel shader 2.0 hardware to run minimum for no strong reason)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 979 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

A lot of Japanese indie developers still use older libraries for maximum hardware compatibility as their PC market is really, REALLY slow from the lack of brand loyalty to modern hardware manufacturers keeping the competition healthy. It's a very mixed bag similar to how PC-98 lingered for so long, so it should come as no surprise to find even a new 201X game using DX7/GL1.x.

(however in the west, a similar looking game would use Unity or XNA and require DX9 pixel shader 2.0 hardware to run minimum for no strong reason)

I don't really understand it because I checked this game and it's indeed DX9.
Is there an earlier release using <=DX7 maybe?

teleguy wrote:
teleguy wrote:

I noticed the resolutions in JK top out at 2048x1536 (the maximum earlier versions of DirectX allowed) with dgvoodoo but if I use WineD3D even the Downsampling resolutions I set up are available. Any chance support for higher resolutions can be added?

There's also an issue with the GOG version only showing the ModeX resolutions. I sent you a pm about it.

Any news?

I fixed '320x200 x-mode only' resolution problem in WIP9, but there is no 2048x1536 limit in dgVoodoo for resolutions.
All of them is enumerated that are coming from DX11. Do you get the missing resolutions in other DX11 games?

Ok, I fixed it, nice find, thanks! It indeed failed silently when blitting from a surface to itself with that flag.
Now the menu works as expected.