VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2980 of 3949, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Congrats on the GOG deal and also on being given access to the entire GOG catalog for the purpose of improving future compatibility of dgVoodoo2.

... And if my presumption is off and they didn't give you access to the entire catalog, what the fuck is the matter with them? 😉

Reply 2982 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope this will not end like nglide, the author casually finished releasing new versions after beginning collaborations with commercial sites... that's just my impression

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2983 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:

I hope this will not end like nglide, the author casually finished releasing new versions after beginning collaborations with commercial sites... that's just my impression

nGlide 1.05 was released long after he started collaborating with GoG.

Reply 2984 of 3949, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Therea are some glitches in the Sanitarium GOG version when played via dgVoodoo. Compatibility did increase in WIP33 when compared to v2.53 but some glitches still remain.

Some of the fonts don't look right (especially the ones in loading scenes and video subtitles). Videos do play but sometimes white artifacts/glitches appear during playback. There is a significant performance issue that causes the character to walk very slowly.

Please make sure to go to visual settings in the game menu and decrease performance until it says "Most Features/Slowest Performance" to enable all visual features.

This GOG game can benefit immensely from resolution override with bilinear blit stretching feature of dgVoodoo since all backgrounds are pre-rendered images.

Reply 2987 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
galneon wrote:

Congrats on the GOG deal and also on being given access to the entire GOG catalog for the purpose of improving future compatibility of dgVoodoo2.

... And if my presumption is off and they didn't give you access to the entire catalog, what the fuck is the matter with them? 😉

No, I don't have access to GOG properties. They are free to include dgVoodoo2 for their game builds from now.

Reply 2988 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
azbayd wrote:
Hi, I have installed dgVoodoo 2.52 but I have an issue on a game Project IGI. This error is appear after starting that game : Th […]
Show full quote

Hi,
I have installed dgVoodoo 2.52 but I have an issue on a game Project IGI.
This error is appear after starting that game : This application requires DirectX version 7.0 or greater to run
How to solve ?
My DirectX version is 11

Did you copy DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll to the game folder, and still getting that message?
It seems dgVoodoo's dll are not found. Isn't your case is the same as
www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3493 ... s#p513132
?

Reply 2989 of 3949, by VicRattlehead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

About No One Lives Forever: I have the full game now (GOTY / 1.004 version) but I haven't been fully testing it with dgVoodoo2 yet. However, I've kept in mind the issue I had with the demo and spotted a good example area with "changing lightmaps" where I suspected heavy performance loss could occur and tested it with dgVoodoo2.

lithtech.exe_2017-04-04-03-14-01-176.jpg
Filename
lithtech.exe_2017-04-04-03-14-01-176.jpg
File size
197.08 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's a ventilation shaft with very simple geometry and textures yet the performance loss is severe, probably due to the flickering lightmap since there's not much else going on. There are also no light fixtures with lens flares here so I guess we can put that theory to rest.

lithtech.exe_2017-04-04-03-14-51-295.jpg
Filename
lithtech.exe_2017-04-04-03-14-51-295.jpg
File size
387.97 KiB
Views
File license

The game runs smoothly on far more complex scenes.

lithtech.exe_2017-04-04-03-13-08-631.jpg
Filename
lithtech.exe_2017-04-04-03-13-08-631.jpg
File size
104.19 KiB
Views
File license

Also, noticed heavy framerate drop in some of the menus.

Here is a saved file inside the ventilation shaft.

Attachments

• Filename
    Save.zip
    File size
    193.46 KiB
    Downloads
    76 downloads
    File license

Reply 2990 of 3949, by azbayd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Did you copy DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll to the game folder, and still getting that message? It seems dgVoodoo's dll are not found. […]
Show full quote
azbayd wrote:
Hi, I have installed dgVoodoo 2.52 but I have an issue on a game Project IGI. This error is appear after starting that game : Th […]
Show full quote

Hi,
I have installed dgVoodoo 2.52 but I have an issue on a game Project IGI.
This error is appear after starting that game : This application requires DirectX version 7.0 or greater to run
How to solve ?
My DirectX version is 11

Did you copy DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll to the game folder, and still getting that message?
It seems dgVoodoo's dll are not found. Isn't your case is the same as
www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3493 ... s#p513132
?

Hi Dege,

I have copied DDraw.dll , D3DImm.dll , D3D8.dll and dgVoodoo2.52.exe to the game folder but still getting that message
Also I will try to install the ADK for Windows

Reply 2992 of 3949, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seeing as this wrapper also handles good 'ol 2D-games in directdraw, are there any plans on continue improving that part of this wrapper? Old games such as Warcraft 2 Battle.Net Edition and Jazz Jackrabbit 2 can finally be scaled to higher resolutions thanks to dgVoodoo 2 (they both run in 640x480 originally, so bumping them up to 1280x960 scales the games 2x the original game resolution).

It seems like there is some kind of bilinear interpolation filtering when scaling those games at 2x (by forcing 1280x960) in the DirectX tab. Is there any way of disabling the bilinear filtering that comes when scaling up the image? I have tried checking the "no filtering" box under the DirectX tab in dgVoodoo v2.53, but it seems like this wrapper can't apply "nearest neighbor" filtering while up-scaling the image.

To my knowledge this is the only directdraw wrapper besides dxwnd that has the ability to upscale the resolution of 2d directdraw games.

CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

Reply 2993 of 3949, by kevsmudge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah my only about gripe about dgvoodoo is msaa and the filtering options add tiling which I mentioned here, ppsspp has the same problem
Texture tiling and pixelation
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/8449 … eger-ratios/29/
if we could have dgvoodoo output in nearest neighbor like you say we could fullscreen filter it with bicubic or reverse-aa filter in reshade.
I've been trying port these shaders with no luck
https://www.shadertoy.com/view/MllSzX
http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php?topic=35123.0
http://http.download.nvidia.com/developer/SDK … bicubic.fx.html

Last edited by kevsmudge on 2017-04-07, 03:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2995 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'nm wondering what GoG is planning to do with it, really. I haven't seen them do much work for old games in their catalogue at all lately. With dgVoodoo2 they probably need some sort of launcher for the games with separate options for dgVoodoo2 and a legacy rendering path (for people without DX10 cards).

Reply 2996 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In readme
" If you use dgVoodoo on Windows 10 then dynamic shader compiling is automatically available because D3DCompiler_47 is part of the operating system.
For preceding Windows versions (Vista, 7, 😎 you need to download it manually and then, you can copy this dll into each game folder next to the wrapper dlls but the best practice is to copy it into

Windows\System32 folder for 32 bit operating systems
Windows\SysWOW64 folder for 64 bit operating systems

if it is not already there by the result of the installation of some other software.
Note that dgVoodoo supports both D3DCompiler_43 and D3DCompiler_47. _43 is supported only because of compatibility with users having it downloaded and copied into their system folder previously.

Utilizing dynamic shader compiling is strongly recommended and even unavoidable to get all DX8 level features to work. If dgVoodoo cannot find D3DCompiler then it can use only its generalized precompiled shaders just like versions before 2.5. If dgVoodoo finds a supported compiler dll then it can adapt to the current circumstances and compile specialized shaders providing maximum GPU performance. "

i would like to know if d3dcompiler_47 is necessary with windows 7 because I have d3d compiler_43?

I have tried to add d3dcompiler in systemwow64 but when I launch deathkarz or discworld noir with dgvoodoo it said that api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-I1-2-0.dll is missing. I have only in systemwow64 api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-I1-1-0.dll.

Reply 2998 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nucleoprotein wrote:

You can't use D3DCompiler_47 on Windows 7, use latest one supported - ie. 43 included in DirectX Redistributable : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Although, in readme, it said that you can copy this file .dll .
266436Sanstitre.jpg

It's why I ask this question because I don't understand very well

Reply 2999 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ReadMe is correct, D3DCompiler_47.dll works fine on Windows 7 and Vista, you just don't get it when installing DirectX Redistributable. It's preinstalled on Windows 8.1 and 10. The variants from those systems can't be redistributed because it has some extra dependencies.

There is another variant with description Direct3D HLSL Compiler for Redistribution, developers get it with the version of Visual Studio they're developing with. This variant can be used on 7 and Vista.

The leanest way is indeed to put the files in Windows\System32 and Windows\SysWOW64, though some software comes with them in their own folder. I have this habit, after installing all programs I clean up their folders of redistributable DLLs (usually those part of DirectX and VC Redist) that are already present somewhere under System32/SysWOW64.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.