VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3000 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
UCyborg wrote:

The ReadMe is correct, D3DCompiler_47.dll works fine on Windows 7 and Vista, you just don't get it when installing DirectX Redistributable. It's preinstalled on Windows 8.1 and 10. The variants from those systems can't be redistributed because it has some extra dependencies.

There is another variant with description Direct3D HLSL Compiler for Redistribution, developers get it with the version of Visual Studio they're developing with. This variant can be used on 7 and Vista.

The leanest way is indeed to put the files in Windows\System32 and Windows\SysWOW64, though some software comes with them in their own folder. I have this habit, after installing all programs I clean up their folders of redistributable DLLs (usually those part of DirectX and VC Redist) that are already present somewhere under System32/SysWOW64.

Thanks but as I said yesterday, I have this problem when I copy 47.dll

I have tried to add d3dcompiler in systemwow64 but when I launch deathkarz or discworld noir with dgvoodoo it said that api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-I1-2-0.dll is missing. I have only in systemwow64 api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-I1-1-0.dll.

Reply 3001 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is that Dege put the incorrect version on his site, like I said, the file description must read Direct3D HLSL Compiler for Redistribution. Take the x86 version below and put it in SysWOW64.

Key points about D3DCompiler_47.dll:

1. It works on 7 and Vista systems, however, it is not installed as part of DirectX Redistributable (dxwebsetup.exe).
  2. It is preinstalled on Windows 8+, this version is NOT REDISTRIBUTABLE so you can't copy and paste it onto Windows 7 system and expect it to work.
  3. D3DCompiler_47.dll from Dege's website appears to be copy-pasted directly from his system's SysWOW64, so it doesn't work on older Windows systems. That version is NOT REDISTRIBUTABLE. Looks like it's from Windows 10 Build 10586 aka. November Update.
  4. The latest REDISTRIBUTABLE DLL can be found in the latest Windows 10 SDK.
  5. It was said that dgVoodoo doesn't utilize any D3DCompiler_47.dll specific features, so it should still work as intended as long as user updates DirectX with dxwebsetup.exe to get D3DCompiler_43.dll, which is used for shader compilation if D3DCompiler_47.dll is not present (Windows 7 and Vista).

Attachments

• Filename
    D3DCompiler_47_x64.zip
    File size
    1.75 MiB
    Downloads
    180 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    D3DCompiler_47_x86.zip
    File size
    1.48 MiB
    Downloads
    137 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 3002 of 3949, by kevsmudge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anybody had any luck running Still Life 1 under Windows 7 x64?
steam or gog version? the gog version supposively has the starforce drm removed.
it's said to use an updated version of the game engine used in Syberia 1 & 2. Thanks for fixing Syberia 2 😀
All I get with no-cd crack used on the steam version is a black screen.

Things i've tried already:
Changing CPU affininty to one single real core.
Disabling GPU scaling.
Changing compatibility mode to Windows NT, Windows 98/ME, Windows XP.
Running as an Adminstrator.
Disabling visual themes and desktop composition.
Windowed mode via player.ini, 0 BaseCMO.cmo

The only other option I have left I suppose is to run it in a Windows 98 or XP Virtual Machine.

Update: I managed to get it working in virtualbox using WinXP Pro SP3,
Insert Guest Additions from the devices menu to get experimental DirectX support - had to force safe mode in msconfig first to run on reboot, changed it back to normal after installing Guest Additions and rebooted.
Installed DirectX9 full redist.
When I say it works, it seems to work without any issuses but I can't get the scaling to fit my screen properly and it just looks aliased due to the 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution it runs in getting upscaled to 1600x900, ideally if dgvoodoo worked under DirectX9 and XP it'd set at 1200x900.

Last edited by kevsmudge on 2017-04-11, 21:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3003 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
UCyborg wrote:
The problem is that Dege put the incorrect version on his site, like I said, the file description must read Direct3D HLSL Compil […]
Show full quote

The problem is that Dege put the incorrect version on his site, like I said, the file description must read Direct3D HLSL Compiler for Redistribution. Take the x86 version below and put it in SysWOW64.

1. It works on 7 and Vista systems, however, it is not installed as part of DirectX Redistributable (dxwebsetup.exe).
  2. It is preinstalled on Windows 8+, this version is NOT REDISTRIBUTABLE so you can't copy and paste it onto Windows 7 system and expect it to work.
  3. D3DCompiler_47.dll from Dege's website appears to be copy-pasted directly from his system's SysWOW64, so it doesn't work on older Windows systems. That version is NOT REDISTRIBUTABLE. Looks like it's from Windows 10 Build 10586 aka. November Update.
  5. It was said that dgVoodoo doesn't utilize any D3DCompiler_47.dll specific features, so it should still work as intended as long as user updates DirectX with dxwebsetup.exe to get D3DCompiler_43.dll, which is used for shader compilation if D3DCompiler_47.dll is not present (Windows 7 and Vista).

Thanks very much

Reply 3005 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right, Microsoft actually says D3DCompiler_47.dll should not be put in System32/SysWOW64, but I don't know why that is so. They say because it's not a system component, but other things that aren't exactly Windows system components are put there as well to be shared among applications. Has anyone seen any incompatibilities between different versions? I haven't. Either way, one shouldn't touch D3DCompiler_47.dll included with Windows 8+, it would likely cause system file integrity check to fail.

@Nucleoprotein
I didn't know at first that you don't get D3DCompiler_47.dll at all on Windows 7/Vista, always thought it was installed with dxwebsetup.exe just like the older versions, but then again it's been a while since I've used 7 as my main OS.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 3006 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UCyborg wrote:
The problem is that Dege put the incorrect version on his site, like I said, the file description must read Direct3D HLSL Compil […]
Show full quote

CoolGamer once attracted my attention about this but I still didn't changed the dll on my site...
Now I do it (I'll use the one you attached).
Also, I didn't know D3DCompiler_47 is part of Win8. It's great!! I must update the documentation as well.

Reply 3007 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gagster wrote:

Seeing as this wrapper also handles good 'ol 2D-games in directdraw, are there any plans on continue improving that part of this wrapper? Old games such as Warcraft 2 Battle.Net Edition and Jazz Jackrabbit 2 can finally be scaled to higher resolutions thanks to dgVoodoo 2 (they both run in 640x480 originally, so bumping them up to 1280x960 scales the games 2x the original game resolution).

It seems like there is some kind of bilinear interpolation filtering when scaling those games at 2x (by forcing 1280x960) in the DirectX tab. Is there any way of disabling the bilinear filtering that comes when scaling up the image? I have tried checking the "no filtering" box under the DirectX tab in dgVoodoo v2.53, but it seems like this wrapper can't apply "nearest neighbor" filtering while up-scaling the image.

To my knowledge this is the only directdraw wrapper besides dxwnd that has the ability to upscale the resolution of 2d directdraw games.

Yes.
Upscaling is always done by bilinear filtering, it's hardwired. When using an unemulated scaling mode (unspecified, centered and stretched) it's up to the driver or the monitor how it's scaled, but I always experienced bilinear filtering.
That's why I hardwired bilinear one for the emulated ones (stretch and keep AR), there is no way to change that externally.

Reply 3010 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Grand Prix 3 is causing issues in accelerated 3D. Without dgVoodoo there's many polygons that have the wrong z-index and very slow processor occupancy. With dgVoodoo (tested WIPs and old versions) the game runs fine, except cars have broken textures and gradually the sky fills with incorrect textures (using Spa as an example in the wet).

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3011 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
azbayd wrote:
Can I ran the Project IGI old game via dgVoodoo ? because my videocard is PowerVR and with DirectX 9.0c support. It is integrate […]
Show full quote

Can I ran the Project IGI old game via dgVoodoo ?
because my videocard is PowerVR and with DirectX 9.0c support. It is integrated on Intel Atom Z2760.
What kind of dgVoodoo version should I use ?
Mine OS : Windows 8.1
DirectX : 11

DX11 runtime is OK, but you need a DX10 compliant GPU.

Reply 3012 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@azbayd
See my response here: Projec IGI vs Windows 8.1 dgVoodoo won't be able to help you with this GPU.

DosFreak wrote:

Use DgVoodo 1 to render using D3D9.

dgVoodoo1 is only useful for Glide games. Project IGI is Direct3D 7 game.

Reply 3013 of 3949, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are some glitches in LbaWin (DX5), the Windows port of Little Big Adventure 1, when played via dgVoodoo. Compatibility did increase in WIP33 when compared to v2.53 but some glitches still remain.

In windowed screen mode, textures do not display right. Input keys do not work when you switch from windowed mode to fullscreen mode by using F10 key. When you start the game directly in fullscreen mode, the game does play but there are significant performance issues. Texts of speeches and cutscenes are drawn extremely slowly. Resolution forcing causes the start menu background textures to disappear.

You can download LbaWin installer from the link below. Just insert the original LBA1 CD in your drive and run the LBAWin installer. It will take care of the installation. In order to switch between fullscreen and windowed modes, go to the installation directory and edit the line that says "LbaWinFullScreen: 1" in "LBA.CFG" file.
https://www.magicball.net/downloads/programs/lbawin

You can download a zip file with several savegames from the link below to try different areas of the game
https://www.magicball.net/downloads/savegames/lba1_savegames

I think these bugs are related to the bugs that I reported for the Sanitarium game.

Reply 3014 of 3949, by VicRattlehead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The demo of Prince of Persia 3D fails runs to run with dgVoodoo2 (doesn't even get to the menu). Without dgVoodoo2, the demo runs but suffers from what seems to be the same very low-framerate issue with old DirectX games on Windows 8. Haven't tried the full game.

Reply 3015 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I examined NOLF issues. Performance loss is got in the game menu, Controls/Mouse. The game accesses the backbuffer by both GPU and CPU, multiple times per frame which is really inefficient, it seems to read back its full content more than once (per frame), so even fast vidmem access doesn't help.
The ingame stuttering is the same as with Blood2, AVP, etc. Lightmap handling in LithTech engine. 😐

Reply 3016 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I may suggest a feature: framerate limiter à la Bandicam (where you can select fps too), especially precious for some old ddraw titles!

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 3018 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

You can already force the VSync (it's not a frame generation limit but it's good enough).

Yes but it's not sufficient. With incoming and vsync, fremarate in menu is 144 fps (my display is 144hz) and it's too fast. With framerate limiter, I could have a menu not too fast