VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 701 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arklay wrote:

Pro Pilot Europe
The games is ok, but menus are inverted, same behavior with star wars rebellion

Hmmm.... I like it! 🤣
Maybe the mirroring flags for blitting is handled badly? 😀

Another game with noticeable breakup around 2D texures is VR Sports Powerboat Racing, which we've spoke about previously, you can see lines appearing around the (transparent box surrounding) letters as they zoom in-and-out on the menu screens.

AFAIR, I get the same natively.

Dege can you add to dgVoodoo frame limiter?

Well, just to make it clear:

- If an app uses vertical sync or it's forced through the dg control panel then the FPS is always capped to the used (forced) refresh rate
- The only scenario making some sense is rendering without vsync but having the FPS capped to a limit after all - but why would anyone prefer rendering without vsync to with-vsync?

In the setup custom refresh rates are also can be forced, it worked in Glide, should do it in DX as well, but can't remember if I tested it.

BTW, Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing works when I disable paletted textures. Debugging this game for a while it seemed that it runs on a different path using invalid pointers when paletted textures are on, that's why it crashes. 😵
I don't know where the bug is however, as my old RivaTnt 2 supported paletted textures via DX7 if I remember correctly and can't imagine that this game crashed on those cards, it was too popular. (Another possible case is that this game has a patch I haven't installed.)
I was pondering on introducing different card types into the emulation, each with slightly different capabilities compared to the others. But I don't think it's a good solution as it increases setup subtlety.

Reply 703 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mageslayer and Take No Prisoners (same engine) don't work. They both just crash at start. There's demos for both of them.

Latest fan patched version of Z works. Main menu doesn't appear until you click on it though. Main menu is not handled by dgVoodoo2, so maybe just some focus problem.

Layer Section works perfectly.

Reply 704 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One interesting thing to consider is in Grand Prix 3: the car wheels (rendered as some funky bitmaps, half 2D/3D engine) have pink stripes on in hardware mode. They always have done on real Direct3D cards, apart from way back on my old Voodoo5 (I think) and possibly even on an ATI 9800XT a long while back. But Nvidia cards always had this purple/magenta stripe on the wheels. It's possible to remove by hacking game assets, but I wondered if it could be... wrappered away somehow!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 705 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried Kellogg's Frosties GR-R-Rand Prix, which is a tweaked version of the Direct3D 1.06 patched Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2, and it ONLY works with dgVoodoo, however there's trails in the retro cars cockpit, parts of the 2D display (starting lights) are missing/see through, and there's black squares inside the front wheels (especially in the retro cars). Also, all the trees and background have outlines of grey around them. The F1 cars also have almost unreadable copy in the cockpits.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 706 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

I believe my TNT1 supported paletted textures, 32-bit rendering, and multitexturing, so I imagine that the TNT2 probably could as well.

Yes, it had to, because I developed dgVoodoo 1 on such a card in the beginnig and I remember utilizing paletted textures in the code.
But I'm not sure, if it was the RivaTnt2 or the FX5700 or both.

Arcanum
Without dgvoodoo runs at 3 fps, with dgvoodoo now is playable at 35 fps, sometimes a black box can appear in the middle of the screen

It seems to work perfectly if vSync is not forced through the setup. Otherwise menu elements appears slowly and blocky, and can't sweat out loading the first game level because it takes ages.
(The same happens in KQ8 with forced vSync.)

I broke mirrored blitting in some of the versions so black squares appearing in place of some game characters in Icewind Dale II.
Now that I fixed it, this game seems to work ok, but I did only a quick test, 'launch and New Game'.

But Nvidia cards always had this purple/magenta stripe on the wheels. It's possible to remove by hacking game assets, but I wondered if it could be... wrappered away somehow!

I'm afraid not...
Altough I didn't check what causes this, my tip is misaligned texture coords in the game because nVidia always strictly followed the DX standard (the API specifications) as for my experiences.

Reply 707 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dege, is there any hope for Rally Challenge, by Silver Lightning? It's a DirectDraw title from way back. On Win8.1 the original game does install, but it crashes loading the opening video, which can't be skipped. I found a ripped version with the video removed, but it crashes out trying to start the race with "DirectDraw Error: cannot create DirectDraw surfaces INVALID CAPS".

You can find the ripped version without the video on an Underdogs site.

UPDATE: semi-sussed it; the game tries starting in low-res, which kills dgVoodoo. I fired it up in a virtual Win98 machine, used + to set the resolution to high-res 640x480 then copied the prefs file across to Win8.1 and it works fine!

Something to look at though, if you don't have enough else!

Reply 708 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually both versions of the game are different. My CD version (by SoftKey) has much more detailed backdrops, so I think it's a newer version. I think the video is crashing too on Win8.1 as it renders in low-resolution mode. I get this error when the video tries to play: "DirectDraw Error: cannot attach pal to front buffer UNDEF. DD ERROR", then it closes the game, failing to close it in Task Manager!

I even located the 1.1 patch for the original game (Google rcptch11.zip) but that doesn't add the updated backgrounds, plus starts wanting the CD to play the video back.

Reply 709 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
Dege, is there any hope for Rally Challenge, by Silver Lightning? It's a DirectDraw title from way back. On Win8.1 the original […]
Show full quote

Dege, is there any hope for Rally Challenge, by Silver Lightning? It's a DirectDraw title from way back. On Win8.1 the original game does install, but it crashes loading the opening video, which can't be skipped. I found a ripped version with the video removed, but it crashes out trying to start the race with "DirectDraw Error: cannot create DirectDraw surfaces INVALID CAPS".

UPDATE: semi-sussed it; the game tries starting in low-res, which kills dgVoodoo. I fired it up in a virtual Win98 machine, used + to set the resolution to high-res 640x480 then copied the prefs file across to Win8.1 and it works fine!

OK, as soon as I get that game I will check it.

"DirectDraw Error: cannot create DirectDraw surfaces INVALID CAPS".
I hope it's not 320x200 X-mode because it is not supported by dgVoodoo.

Reply 710 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BTW, I created another patch. I got tired of having a crash at the starting video with Soul Reaver when I launched the game resolutions larger than 640x480.
Because it works with MS DirectX, I checked what's going on and found that Winplay.dll has a screen buffer overwriting bug.
I patched that dll and now it works beautifully. I didn't try it with other games using it, but it should work with them as well.

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/WinplayDLL_Patch.zip

Reply 711 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
OK, as soon as I get that game I will check it. […]
Show full quote
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
Dege, is there any hope for Rally Challenge, by Silver Lightning? It's a DirectDraw title from way back. On Win8.1 the original […]
Show full quote

OK, as soon as I get that game I will check it.

"DirectDraw Error: cannot create DirectDraw surfaces INVALID CAPS".
I hope it's not 320x200 X-mode because it is not supported by dgVoodoo.

I have a fear it might be. It is a 320x2__ size I believe. In-game you can swap resolutions using the + and - on the keypad, by default it starts low-res. If you start high-res and try changing down it'll again crash.

Reply 712 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rally Challenge works fine in D3DWindower if you want to play it before Dege implements 320x200 support.

The game does render at that resolution (initially).

Edit: fun experiment for you if you want video working would be replacing smackw32.dll with different versions...

Reply 713 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not the smacker issue, just the resolution I think. Good heads up on the D3DWindower... there's so many ways to make old games work now!

Off topic, one issue that does still bug me is CD audio not playing in a few games, I played with _inmm.dll, but only had success in Sega Rally 2 really.

Reply 715 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That top link on the site, ddhack-normal, does run the game, but it runs in a window, out the top of my screen?! And the video is doubled up, with two images side-by-side.

And now I can see I have version 1.2, so it's newer than the downloadable version.

DDWindower (English version, tried a couple) doesn't work, same error message trying to launch game.

Reply 716 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/D3DWindower#D3DWindower

No clue why that ddhack version isn't working for you. I doubt there would be major rendering changes between game versions, I'm going to guess there's something highly specific to your setup interfering.

check if you get the same problem with the ripped version (it's what I tested). If you do,I would recommend a clean install of nvidia drivers + a new clean windows profile for starters. Then probably disable all startup applications.

Reply 717 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weird, I just tried the demo and it works fine, but as before, the full game has a window with white borders half out the top of the screen!