VOGONS

WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 200 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
lowenz wrote:

The new WIP has some problems with the AA

I think you have MSAA forced in the CPL, instead of app-driven. 😀

No 😒

[DirectX]

; VideoCard: "svga", "internal3D", "geforce_ti_4800", "ati_radeon_8500",
; "matrox_parhelia-512", "geforce_fx_5700_ultra"
; VRAM: in MBs
; Filtering: "appdriven", "pointsampled", "bilinear", "linearmip", "trilinear"
; or the integer value of an anisotropic filtering level (1-16)

DisableAndPassThru = false

VideoCard = internal3D
VRAM = 1024
Filtering = appdriven
DisableMipmapping = false
Resolution = unforced
Antialiasing = appdriven

AppControlledScreenMode = true
DisableAltEnterToToggleScreenMode = true

BilinearBlitStretch = false
PhongShadingWhenPossible = false
ForceVerticalSync = false
dgVoodooWatermark = false
FastVideoMemoryAccess = false

Reply 201 of 1111, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote:
swaaye wrote:

I am still having problems getting the Unreal glide2x.dll games to run 1600x1200 on their own. They reset to 512x384 if I set 1600x1200. I can force the resolution with DGVoodoo, but the game will still use the wrong UI resolution and the UI is slightly aliased.

Increase 'Onboard RAM' to 12MB. 8MB isn't enough for 1600x1200, grSstWinOpen fails.

Thanks.

Reply 202 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Dege wrote:
lowenz wrote:

The new WIP has some problems with the AA

I think you have MSAA forced in the CPL, instead of app-driven. 😀

No 😒

Are you sure you didn't mistype something in the config file, causing dgVoodoo's INI parser not to be able to read it, making the wrapper read the global config file instead?
If I set MSAA to appdriven then supported values appear in 3DMark's settings dialog.

(Maybe releasing the spec-release version of the CPL would be useful after all, to see the log for such cases...)

Reply 204 of 1111, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I would like to say that the new dithering feature has further diminished the appeal of old hardware. 😀 It looks a lot better with Unreal engine games. And being able to force it on 32bit color is nice too, along with the scalability of the dither pattern. It's an interesting new way to tweak how old games look.

Would it be possible to have a CRT overlay mode for the full screen stretch scaling?

Reply 206 of 1111, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dege, thanks a lot for adding the plain text .conf file. I noticed, though, that it gets overwritten with binary by the CPL. I hope that that's just temporary, since it would largely defeat the purpose of the plain text if using the CPL (out of convenience, habit or ignorance) just once eliminated the ability to manually edit and forced users to re-copy the original .conf file and re-do any manual edits. You're probably still working on the plain text writing--it's WIP, after all--which is totally understandable, but I wanted to bring it up just in case this behavior happens to be by design. Thanks.

Reply 207 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the scaling modes (Centered, etc.) maybe it's a good thing to rename them in this manner?

*Unspecified
*Centered by System
*Centered by dgVoodoo2
*Stretched by System
*Stretched by dgVoodoo2
*Stretched by dgVoodoo2 (Keep Aspect Ratio)

and so the other stretching modes

Question: the "specified" modes (centered and stretched ones) override the drivers main settings?

Reply 208 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nucleoprotein wrote:

@Dege
I see you added 'ExtraEnumeratedResolutions' which is great but can you add something like 'DisableDefaultResolutions' to disable all default system modes so game will only see custom list of resolutions ?

Yes, but why would that be useful? 😀

Osprey wrote:

Dege, thanks a lot for adding the plain text .conf file. I noticed, though, that it gets overwritten with binary by the CPL. I hope that that's just temporary, since it would largely defeat the purpose of the plain text if using the CPL (out of convenience, habit or ignorance) just once eliminated the ability to manually edit and forced users to re-copy the original .conf file and re-do any manual edits. You're probably still working on the plain text writing--it's WIP, after all--which is totally understandable, but I wanted to bring it up just in case this behavior happens to be by design. Thanks.

I didn't want to mix the usage of CPL and the INI format, the original aspects were the following:
- provide an INI file for ones liking hacking the config file manually, totally setting the GUI CPL aside
- finetuning some rarely used options in the INI for a specific game and then using the CPL for the 'rest', and so no matter if the file is in binary format
(OK, I must admit, once a config file is converted to binary, then there is no way to check out its content.)

Writing INI format isn't that clean-cut. There are two way for that:
- The CPL simply overwrites the INI with its own template. But then all the optional comments/formatting one made in that would get lost. Also, since not all part of the configuration is needed to be included in the INI file (for example, for a pure Glide game the DirectX sections could be omitted), the CPL would put them back.
- The CPL could be smart, and only change the values of present config properties, keeping the structure of the file. That'd be more work.

lowenz wrote:
About the scaling modes (Centered, etc.) maybe it's a good thing to rename them in this manner? […]
Show full quote

About the scaling modes (Centered, etc.) maybe it's a good thing to rename them in this manner?

*Unspecified
*Centered by System
*Centered by dgVoodoo2
*Stretched by System
*Stretched by dgVoodoo2
*Stretched by dgVoodoo2 (Keep Aspect Ratio)

and so the other stretching modes

Question: the "specified" modes (centered and stretched ones) override the drivers main settings?

Some renaming would be a good thing, altough I want to keep the names short.
If centering/stretching is done by dgVoodoo then, yes, they overrides the driver settings.

Reply 209 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
Nucleoprotein wrote:

@Dege
I see you added 'ExtraEnumeratedResolutions' which is great but can you add something like 'DisableDefaultResolutions' to disable all default system modes so game will only see custom list of resolutions ?

Yes, but why would the be useful? 😀

I can't think of any at the moment, but games that only can list a certain amount of resolutions and games that crash when too many resolutions are available?

Reply 211 of 1111, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
I didn't want to mix the usage of CPL and the INI format, the original aspects were the following: - provide an INI file for one […]
Show full quote

I didn't want to mix the usage of CPL and the INI format, the original aspects were the following:
- provide an INI file for ones liking hacking the config file manually, totally setting the GUI CPL aside
- finetuning some rarely used options in the INI for a specific game and then using the CPL for the 'rest', and so no matter if the file is in binary format
(OK, I must admit, once a config file is converted to binary, then there is no way to check out its content.)

Thanks for the reply. It'd be nice to not have to totally set the GUI CPL aside in order to manually edit the config file. The GUI is very convenient--you did a great job on it--and it's probably easier to do some things in it than by manually editing... but, as you implied, the config file could have rarely used options that aren't exposed in the GUI (maybe cuz they'd just clutter it up or they're still works in progress). If anyone wants to use those options, they can't if they've already used the GUI, unless they re-download dgVoodoo and overwrite their binary .conf with the plain text one. It's not ideal for users to have to choose between doing all editing in the GUI and doing all editing manually.

Dege wrote:

Writing INI format isn't that clean-cut. There are two way for that:
- The CPL simply overwrites the INI with its own template. But then all the optional comments/formatting one made in that would get lost. Also, since not all part of the configuration is needed to be included in the INI file (for example, for a pure Glide game the DirectX sections could be omitted), the CPL would put them back.

I don't think that losing comments and formatting is a big deal. Most people don't make such changes to INI files. I also don't think that adding back settings that don't need to be in the INI file is a big deal, either. The inconvenience to the handful of people who would care to make comments, change formatting or delete settings doesn't seem worth it compared to the many more people who would be inconvenienced by the plain text file being overwritten in binary.

Dege wrote:

- The CPL could be smart, and only change the values of present config properties, keeping the structure of the file. That'd be more work.

I don't mean to contradict, but I can't imagine that it'd be much more work. Simply read a value from the INI file and, if it's not an empty string or null, write the new value. As I just said, though, I don't think that keeping the structure of the file is very important. Still, most INI handlers/parsers keep structure. If you're using a bad one or created your own INI handling code from scratch, perhaps using a better, existing handler (like this one) would make things easier for you.

Reply 212 of 1111, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
Dege wrote:
Nucleoprotein wrote:

@Dege

I can't think of any at the moment, but games that only can list a certain amount of resolutions and games that crash when too many resolutions are available?

Exactly - Tomb Raider 3 is one game that crashes because of this (go to "Glasses" menu - then back to "Passport" menu), it uses static buffer for resolution list ...
Also maybe this resolve some of my problems with HDMI interlaced resolutions at 30Hz (force progressive res does not work for me).

Reply 214 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same old framebuffer error:

[PID] 5300
[CPU] vendor: GenuineIntel, features: FPU CMOV TSC MMX SSE SSE2, clock frequency: 3792.00MHz
[MATH] SSE path
[VER] Net:10103
[VER] SaveGame:50041
No run-info file <run.ini> !
D3DRenderer: supported display modes:
1440x1080, bpp:16, hz:60, fmt: R5G6B5
1440x1080, bpp:24, hz:60, fmt: X8R8G8B8
CAPS: MaxSimultaneousTextures 8
CAPS: MaxTextureBlendStages 8
FATAL ERROR: Cannot find valid frame buffer format!
width: 1920, height: 1080, bpp: 24!

Reply 215 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1440x1080 (my custom resolution for 4:3 1080p) works, but other ones do not work.
1920x1080 now is a good choice (for Chrome and Chrome SpecForce) 'cause of this unofficial patch 😁 -> http://www.moddb.com/games/chrome/downloads/c … nofficial-patch

http://media.moddb.com/images/members/2/1010/ … 13_06-01-02.jpg

Reply 216 of 1111, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hummm...

mmx.jpg
When running the game with latest dgvodoo2 beta and a 9600m gt (dx10) card.

Last edited by Myloch on 2017-10-19, 21:06. Edited 1 time in total.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 217 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:
Dege wrote:
Nucleoprotein wrote:

@Dege

I finally found one example: Army Men RTS. I managed to find out where its horizontal and vertical height restrictions for resolution was stored (patched exe without resolution limit here), but it still only enumerates the 23 first resolutions it can find and it enumerates 16-bit ones before 32-bit (not sure if ingame 16-bit vs 32-bit makes a difference to dgVoodoo2).

Personally I don't care (I prefer 1280x720 forced to 2560x1440), but it's an example of a game that can enumerate a limited number of resolutions. I would really want to see a way to deal with those.

Reply 218 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dgVoodoo WIP38:

Aside from a small compatibility fixing, there are no new features in this WIP.
It's all about the first version of the debug layer I've just finished:

Release: http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP38.zip
Spec release with the debug layer: http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP38_dbg.zip

But from now, I can return back to new features, reported games, and so on.

Reply 219 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:

1440x1080 (my custom resolution for 4:3 1080p) works, but other ones do not work.
1920x1080 now is a good choice (for Chrome and Chrome SpecForce) 'cause of this unofficial patch 😁 -> http://www.moddb.com/games/chrome/downloads/c … nofficial-patch

http://media.moddb.com/images/members/2/1010/ … 13_06-01-02.jpg

Solved, I've chosen the wrong DLL (for Steam version you must use the GOLD version.....or the original Steam one).
So no DGV involved in that issue, sorry!