VOGONS

First post, by RibShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are two issues that occur with this game:
1) When a loading screen is meant to appear, it doesn't. Instead the screen keeps flickering between a completely black screen and whatever the last frame was before the load screen transition.
2) The introduction video plays, but is not displayed on screen.

The 2nd issue vanishes when DxWnd is also used (as in, the video plays properly).

Reply 1 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experience trying this (might be interesting for Dege if he has problems installing it):

ZellSF wrote:

But the final retail build just crashes. If you want to try this you need the French version (all other language version uses some sort of exe packing newer Windows versions hate) and since the installer will probably fail (just kill the installer when it throws a error before it rolls back) you might need to know how it knows where to look for data. First it needs to be run with "-cdrom:driveletter" as an argument, second you need C:\Windows\Ubisoft\ubi.ini to contain this. The game launches fine in DxWnd (haven't tried playing it though)

Reply 2 of 16, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just tried the special edition, but the loader screens (screens with loading strips) were ok. I tried double and triple buffering but both worked properly.
The second issue is probably the good old GDI-rendered video playback problem.

Reply 3 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

I've just tried the special edition, but the loader screens (screens with loading strips) were ok. I tried double and triple buffering but both worked properly.
The second issue is probably the good old GDI-rendered video playback problem.

The Special Edition is a wildly different game. Yeah I don't understand it either.

Reply 5 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

But the plain edition doesn't work at all. Silent crash right at startup, as you wrote.

It works in DxWnd though. So might be a dgVoodoo2 issue?

Again you need the French version, though OP apparently found out how to run the English version:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … hread/5a09f3d5/
But didn't feel like sharing how either here or on the DxWnd thread where he mentioned it...

Reply 6 of 16, by RibShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You need the French version, or the English EXE that I decrypted (not sure if I can share it here or on SourceForge which is why I didn't post it). The game also unloads D3DImm.dll while it is still used, which causes a crash, so you may need to install this SDB file (with sdbinst or Compatibility Administrator) to fix that:

Filename
TonicTroubleSDB.zip
File size
683 Bytes
Downloads
162 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 16, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, thanks!

I tried the French version, it ran. But the loading screens still seem to be appear properly.
Isn't dgVoodoo conflicting with DxWnd and that's why it isn't work for you?

Update:

As for the crash, I always get it at quitting the game. The reason is not that D3DImm.dll is unloaded but the fact that the game has a really bad object handling.
This game applies the facepalm-techniqe (I call it that way... 😁) for releasing DDraw objects (looping on releasing an object while its refcount is not 0) and then later releases other objects whose parent were force-destroyed before.
dgVoodoo cannot survive it, MS DDraw may do. I patched GliDX6vr.dll to remove the release loop. Rather having a resource leak than crashing away.

Reply 8 of 16, by RibShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

OK, thanks!

I tried the French version, it ran. But the loading screens still seem to be appear properly.

Load screens flicker with dgVoodoo alone and simply do not show at all (not even a flicker) when DxWnd is also used. For reference, this is what the load screen is supposed to look like (after creating or loading a save).
Update:

Dege wrote:

As for the crash, I always get it at quitting the game. The reason is not that D3DImm.dll is unloaded but the fact that the game has a really bad object handling.
This game applies the facepalm-techniqe (I call it that way... 😁) for releasing DDraw objects (looping on releasing an object while its refcount is not 0) and then later releases other objects whose parent were force-destroyed before.
dgVoodoo cannot survive it, MS DDraw may do. I patched GliDX6vr.dll to remove the release loop. Rather having a resource leak than crashing away.

The crash I encountered was at the start of the game and was due to D3DImm being unloaded (if you check the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers I believe Windows probably detected and fixed it for you). Thanks for telling me how to fix the crash at the end though.

Reply 9 of 16, by PaperTiger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
OK, thanks! […]
Show full quote

OK, thanks!

Update:

I'm glad that TT finally runs on my Windows 7 PC thanks to dgvoodoo. However, it crashes when quitting the game. Could you please explain to me how you fixed that or share the file you edited? That'd be very nice!

Reply 10 of 16, by deton24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bump.
This patched GliDX6vr.dll would be useful if it fixes crash on exit.

If someone has white main menu and textures disappearing, use Fast video memory access in DirectX.

For issues with ugly loading screens, turn on bilinear bit stretch.

Reply 11 of 16, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

White textures is caused by the well-known AMD problem.

I have GliDX6vr.dll but cannot start the game for some reason, to try it out.
I already released a patch for Donald Duck Goin' Quackers and Rayman2, it'd be cool to have Tonic Trouble on the list.

Reply 12 of 16, by Garo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to report an issue relating to the current latest version of dgVoodoo (v2.79). It seems that this version of dgVoodoo causes some graphical issues in Tonic Trouble (Retail) that previous versions didn't have. Let me show you my findings.

Pay attention to the dialogue boxes. It seems that dgVoodoo v2.79 removes the background from the dialogue box completely, while v2.78.2 has the background appearing just fine.

old vodoo.png
Filename
old vodoo.png
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File comment
dgVoodoo v2.78.2 (Correctly Displayed)
File license
Public domain
new vodoo.png
Filename
new vodoo.png
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File comment
dgVoodoo v2.79 (Incorrectly Displayed)
File license
Public domain

I also noticed that Super Ed's model flickers in certain areas of the game. I'm too lazy to post a screenshot about that here 🤣.

There are probably more graphical issues that I just didn't cover here but these were the ones that I noticed while playing the first few levels of the game. I am unsure why these graphical issues occur but in the meantime I'll just stick to dgVoodoo v2.78.2 until this problem is fixed. I just thought I would let you guys know about this.

Reply 13 of 16, by RibShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Garo wrote on 2022-06-19, 02:03:

Pay attention to the dialogue boxes. It seems that dgVoodoo v2.79 removes the background from the dialogue box completely, while v2.78.2 has the background appearing just fine.

The background for the dialogue box actually never appeared on old compatible PCs, nor I believe does it appear when using the reference software d3d6 renderer. So this isn't actually a bug with dgVoodoo, but rather with the game itself, and earlier versions of dgVoodoo were "broken" in such a way that actually fixed the game bug. Not sure what caused this in the first place but it would be nice (if it is an artificial limitation from dgVoodoo to better match d3d6 limitations) if there was an option to disable whatever "fixed" this.

Reply 14 of 16, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RibShark wrote on 2022-06-19, 05:55:

The background for the dialogue box actually never appeared on old compatible PCs, nor I believe does it appear when using the reference software d3d6 renderer.

I think it should work because it must have worked when the game was developed.
According to the internal D3D state the blue background should appear, altough how contemporary vs later hw rasterizers handle out-of-range z-coordinates is another question (it's not defined in the DX specs).
I think I'll reupload 2.79 with a fix.

Last edited by Dege on 2022-06-19, 14:52. Edited 2 times in total.