VOGONS

First post, by Speccu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The pc port has terrible jitter with the polygons due to a lack of zbuffer copied straight from the PSX programming. Does anyone know of any fix to this? I tried messing around with dgvoodoo but I'm assuming fixing that jitter is out of the scope of the wrapper.

Reply 1 of 4, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The jitter is caused by the lack of floating point unit in Playstation. Some emulators have a more advanced geometry pipeline to fix this and texture distortion, like PXGP feature (implemented on Pete's plugins and Mednafen's forks) or edgbla's gpuBladeSoft.

But those PSX-DC-N64-PC multiplatform games from late-90s in PC are usually 1:1 Playstation ports or emulation in some cases, i think. So they translate the lack of sub-pixel accuracy as is. Some devs rewrote the GTE behaviour and fixed that problem, like Metal Gear Solid Integral.

I dont think it can be fixed through wrappers, its more like a programming problem.

Reply 3 of 4, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, it's pretty annoying, and AFAIK the Sourcenext version is exactly the same. It annoys me so much that I have trouble playing through much of the PC version. In the PS1 version it was at least somewhat masked by the very low resolution.

It's weird that they fixed this for RE 1 and 2, yet 3 got the wobbly polygon treatment.