VOGONS

First post, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Before I go exploding my computer and/or dgVoodoo2, is it possible to enumerate a resolution with a fake refresh rate for those games where v-sync is forced - even after GPU game profile tweaks? For example, I want to see if Darkstone, which seems locked to 60FPS, is actually capped at 60FPS or merely my monitor's native refresh rate of 60Hz.

Reply 1 of 4, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can define any (forced) refresh rate as part of a forced resolution but DXGI will probably just snap to the closest supported refresh rate for the given resolution.
Trying the game with a forced resolution supported at other refresh rate than 60Hz or forcing 'no vsync' in the cpl of the graphics card may help.

Reply 3 of 4, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Um. Why do you want to do this?

Darkstone will output more than 60 FPS just fine, how unique those frames are is another matter entirely of course.

I don't know why, but even with my NVIDIA Optimus setup set to fully disable vsync, the game will only output 60 FPS. This is an in-game cap as far as I can tell since lowering the refresh rate of my monitor doesn't change anything.

Also, I'm using the GOG.com version with the latest dgVoodoo2 WIP version.

Reply 4 of 4, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for not clarifying sooner, ZellSF. Life has gotten in the way for the past couple of days.

As to your actual question, the reason I'm trying for more than 60 FPS is because of this ReShade shader I like to use. In my experience, it requires 300 FPS minimum to get a low-quality, but IMO passible blur effect, and 1000+ FPS for something which actually looks like proper motion blur.