VOGONS

First post, by Arketa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I have been experiencing extremely random hangs (and sometimes crashes to the dekstop) w/my game on my new pc. After trying lots of troubleshooting and advice from various posts, I found a program called whatishang to try to figure out if there was anything else I could try.

Running this when it hangs seems to suggest that the program is still sometimes looking in system32 for d3d8.dll?

When I first installed FFXI to this new machine, I also installed dgvoodoo2 before playing it.

I (turned back on and still) have the watermark showing in my game, the MS folder files in the same directory as dgvoodoo2 v2.55.4, its path pointed to ./, d3dcompiler_47.dll swapped for the one from the download site in both syswow64 and system32 (one of the suggestions from a post I found), settings to match my old system, basically as far as I'm aware, I didn't miss anything with setup.

Is there something I'm missing?

I copied d3d8.dll from my old pc's system32 folder to system32 on my new pc and am just kind of running around waiting for it to hang again - it really is suuuper random - but if this was the issue, I'm confused, as I thought that dgvoodoo2 was supposed to be catching this? I may be misunderstanding the purpose tho, beyond "make your old af game work on your new machine" haha

Thanks for any insight anyone may have!

Reply 2 of 2, by Atomic Skull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did they ever fix the fog rendering bug in DGVoodoo2 with FFXI? Last time I checked it only rendered fog on landscape geometry not on mobile objects and certain parts of the landscape (which are probably actually static mobile objects). So I shrugged and went back to the D3D9 wrapper some guy on Blue Gartr forums crated specifically for FFXI. DGvoodoo2 is better in many ways though and if the fog bug gets fixed I'd switch to it.