VOGONS

First post, by yetanothervogon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wrapping games like Warcraft2, Starcraft, Fallout1+2 (the ones I've tested) results in extreme framerates. Thats a problem, since it causes coil whine and stress/heat of the gpu, especially when using additional post processing. Limiting the framerate can make these games unplayable slow and even with a cap of 300 (the maximum in Rivatuner) mouse movements can still be sluggish.

Afaik, the only wrapper that doesn't have this problem is cnc-ddraw. Games are perfectly playable with smooth mouse movement at screen refresh rate (60Hz). I don't know how it achieves this technically, but it seems to be a differentiation between framerate and game 'ticks'.

Will there be support/fixes for these sort of games in the future?

Last edited by yetanothervogon on 2019-05-01, 22:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by yetanothervogon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, as this caps the framerate to screen refresh (60 Hz in my case) and makes the games unplayable slow.
Btw, the mentioned games don't run with a constant framerate when wrapped. It varies between 0 (static screen) and >1000 (moving mouse cursor).

Reply 3 of 9, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A way to limit FPS to an arbritrary value with dgVoodoo2 would be ideal for this type of problem, I think.

VSync helps for 3D games, but some games (whether they are 3D or not) are quite stubborn.

Reply 5 of 9, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bump up this thread to ask if the latest WIP (WIP65) solves the problem.
The symptoms you described and the insane FPS make me guess those DDraw games draw a lot of screen elements part by part directly to the primary surface.
Doing so is always causes problems, like the flashing game cursor in Baldurs Gate2 (DDraw). That game is locked to 30 fps but runs on 90 because 2 extra swapchain flip are taking place for each frame because of drawing the mouse cursor.

In WIP65 I introduced a new option (Batched update for primary surface) that is enabled by default, and it should throttle the fps to the screen refresh rate.

Reply 7 of 9, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wing Commander II Kilrathi Saga edition suffers from this badly
All cutscenes and dialogues Besides the Voiced ones runs a incredibly higher framerate speeds

stinger was trying to patch this, but he's tied with his job for god knows when blizzard decides to release War3Reforged.

Reply 8 of 9, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yetanothervogon wrote:

@Dege

I can confirm that with "PrimarySurfaceBatchUpdate=true", the games now work fine with reasonable framerates. But it only works with normal version 62, not with WIP65.

Thanks for the report! WIP65 doesn't matter by now, I remember I did some changes after that, for 2.62.

Deffnator wrote:

All cutscenes and dialogues Besides the Voiced ones runs a incredibly higher framerate speeds

stinger was trying to patch this, but he's tied with his job for god knows when blizzard decides to release War3Reforged.

Even with PrimarySurfaceBatchedUpdate enabled? Can't that be just solved by forced vsync?

Reply 9 of 9, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Thanks for the report! WIP65 doesn't matter by now, I remember I did some changes after that, for 2.62. […]
Show full quote
yetanothervogon wrote:

@Dege

I can confirm that with "PrimarySurfaceBatchUpdate=true", the games now work fine with reasonable framerates. But it only works with normal version 62, not with WIP65.

Thanks for the report! WIP65 doesn't matter by now, I remember I did some changes after that, for 2.62.

Deffnator wrote:

Even with PrimarySurfaceBatchedUpdate enabled? Can't that be just solved by forced vsync?

Even with forced Vsync and set it to true, the game's animations speeds up insanely in dialogues, intro and cutscenes, unless its voiced.