VOGONS

First post, by Berzerk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with using dgVoodoo for Star Wars Dark Forces 1. I know for Outlaws you have to use a older version and playing through that with dgVoodoo worked very well for me but maybe there are differences between the Jedi engine used in Dark Forces and in Outlaws that could cause problems. Does it work with the game? Does it run well? Can you make the game look any better through using it?

Reply 3 of 6, by Berzerk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Such a shame to hear that. Makes me wish even more DarkXL development would continue again. Oh well, guess I just have to deal with it until one day someone would be able to create a tool or whatever that will improve the games visuals (DarkXL prooved it is possible). Thanks for the replies ZellSF and appiah4.

Reply 4 of 6, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Star Wars: Dark Forces is a DOS game. It cannot load a Windows library (dgVoodoo). It's also a software rendered game, even if you could make it work there would be no benefit.

dgVoodoo supports DOS GLIDE games so long as they can run from Windows, but you have to load the VxD server executable prior to running the game.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 6 of 6, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Well sure there's that and there's DOSBox passthrough, but those are both special exceptions for Glide games and well, Dark Forces isn't one.

Quite precisely. however, what I understood from your reply to the OP is that dgVoodoo does not work with DOS GLIDE games, which it does, so I wanted to clarify that it indeed can.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE