VOGONS

First post, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't have any good topic-title for this post, but there is a feature that would be nice, although might not be either highly requested nor easy to implement.

It could be beneficial to have the option to have dgVoodoo2 running in the desktop resolution of Windows, while the game that dgVoodoo2 is injected into uses its own resolution inside the game window itself. Let's say if you run a game in the resolution of 1280x960 (because it's 4:3 in aspect ratio) on your 1920x1080 screen, your display itself would not need to also support this resolution (although it most likely can). The game itself with help of dgVoodoo2 would know that it then only can use the 1280x960 pixels in the center position of the screen without having the screen itself switching to that resolution (the monitor keeps running in 1920x1080), but the game not stretching its pixels to fill out the screen estate of 1920x1080. Those who are common with RetroArch, something not unlike how RetroArch handles resolutions.

Thereby the game knows that it needs to draw a black letterbox on all the required sides, if the desktop resolution in Windows is 1920x1080 and the game itself runs in 1280x960.

The benefits of this is that you would not have to create custom resolutions in Nvidia Control Panel anymore if you would like to do pixel doubling on odd resolutions (800x480 = 1600x960). The game that uses dgVoodoo2 only use as many pixels as it needs within your monitors native/desktop resolution, making the image pixel perfect and flawless.

CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

Reply 1 of 2, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's already implemented. dgVoodoo can only present the image this way for 'Stretched, * aspect ratio' and 'Centered, keep aspect ratio' scaling modes because the display output aspect ratio is reliable only for the native (desktop) resolution. 😀
You can even override the 'desktop resolution' in the config file.

The drawback of it all is the mouse, it needs some emulation which is not perfect at all.

Reply 2 of 2, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I somehow didn't think this was implemented, I'm so happy that it works flawlessly after testing the settings out in dgVoodoo 2.55.4.1 😀

CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080